Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey.

I want to paint my Tau, and i wat to paint them in their Ta'u scheme (vermin brown and vomit brown). I'm using GW paints because it's the colour of their vomit brown I really like. The problem is, it's so damn hard to use that paint. I have to paint so many layers and every time i've painted a new layer, i have to add some water to the mini so the paint wont look ugly, and yes, I do add some water before I paint the layer. I've spent 3 hours, maybe more, to paint 1/3 of one of my battle suits, and that is without high light.
I've got big trouble even to paint the larger areas(sp?) of the suit, so I have no idea how to paint my tanks.
I have been thinking about another colour scheme where I can use some colours that is very easy to paint with, but I'm really hooked up with the vomit brown.
I really want to have a nice painted army.:disapointed:
What do I do?

·
Registered
490 Posts
you said you add water to the mini.. do you mean the paint?

If you are adding water to the mini, and then painting over that, you are actually painting on water... You need to mix a little bit of water into the paint to thin it and get a nice even flow..

If too much of the foundation or primer is showing through on a single layer of paint, you have thinned it down too much.

Otherwise, I have no idea what else could be going wrong. Did you use a primer? Painting straight over the plastic without one is arduous.

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
Something else you might want to look at is the colour of your primer.

For a long time I used black primer, which is fine for dark colours, but makes painting lighter colours (yellow, white, perhaps even your vomit brown) a bit arduous.

I've recently started using a grey primer out of curiosity, and it makes it much easier to paint those lighter colours. Still a bit of work, but perhaps not as much. Maybe, depending on your colour scheme, you might want to go all the way to a white primer.

It's good that you're watering down your paints, but it can be very difficult to get this bit right. Generally you add the water to the paint (as Marxus pointed out), but each paint is different and you just have to use trial and error sometimes to make sure you get the right ratio of water to paint.

Some of the foundation paints may help you, too. They cover a lot better, and can make it easier to apply your topcoat. I'm not sure what colours there are, but of there's a suitable brown or yellow (maybe you can even mix the two to give you a better foundation) it might help you out.

Good luck with your painting!

·
Blood Boy
3,643 Posts
If you are spraying the model black first then that may be part of the problem. Vomit brown will go best over a white base coat not a black one. I find that when painting lighter colours two thin layers will get a much better effect than one thick layer. You will also get better at this, at first it seems to take ages but you will get faster. Perhaps you could try to use one of the foundation paints if you think one of them is close enough to vomit brown.

·
397 Posts
Tausept Ochre is the foundation paint that you could try and then paint vomit brown over it. I did that for a tau guy a while back. It's easy and looks great. The color is pretty close so you can get away with one or two thin layers of vomit brown like Leech mentioned just to lighten it up. Also you could still prime black so you don't have to spend all day black-lining all their dumb little armor plates.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts