Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
loves purple tyranids
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2,000 points of Tyranids right now and after 3 years I need a little change. Although tyranids are superly diverse...I think Daemon hunters are awesome. One army isn't enough any more. So, I am just starting and am getting the codex soon. For a starter army I was thinking of 2 squads of ten GK one with psycannon and one with incinerator. Then I am getting a Mark IV forge world dreadnought with the close combat sword and a psycannon. then of course I will get a GK Brother Master not sure with what. Does this sound like a fair army. If not then what should I get.

·
Ender of Threads
1,306 Posts
Sounds like a pretty solid start to 750-ish points of Daemonhunters.

Big blocks of GK's, while really costly, are never a bad bet - they'll always serve you well.

I'd strongly reccommend getting a Lascannon arm and a Missile Launcher arm for the dread in addition to the ones you've listed - he'll be your only option when it comes to any tanks with AV13+, so the lascannon is all but mandatory. Use magnets so you can swap the arms out at will.

And a Brother-Captain/Grandmaster might be best equipped with a Psycannon to take advantage of the Termie armour's special rules and his naturally high BS. Whether you want to use Stern, the GK Termie Captain, or just a generic GKT is entirely up to you.

Going forward, A shooty Inquisitor with a retinue is a neat unit to field, as are the various assassins he gives you access to. Stormtroopers are another good choice: they may not be as glamorous as the GK's, but they're cheap and fairly effective - they'll often punch above their weight when it really counts. And finally, consider inducting some Sisters of Battle or Guard - lots of cool options outside of the normal DH codex.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Sounds like you're going for a Pure Grey Knight Army!

Incinerators aren't going to be very good unless it's on a smaller squad inside of a transport (Land Raider).

Psycannons are a toss up. They cost as much as a single GK (believe me, it matters), and they will limit your mobility choices and will also weaken you somewhat in CC. If you're going to do psycannons, the best way to do so is by putting them on something with Terminator armor.

The Dread is a great buy, and the Forgeworld model Rocks! Right now, it's our best anti-Armor unit, but that is rumored to change a lot with the new rules for walkers in 5th Edition.

Do you mean Grand Master or Brother Captain for your HQ? Both are great units, though it depends on what you want to do with them. The only weapon upgrade they normally get is a psycannon to replace their storm bolter, especially the Brother-Captain as he tends to fall somewhat easily in Close Combat. Another popular piece of wargear for him is the Icon of the Just.

Only other popular configuration that I've seen for a Grand Master is a Nemesis Force Weapon (default weapon) & Chainfist combo, though this is still pretty rare.

Good luck, and I would post a list in the Army section before making a final buy. Grey Knights are a pretty unforgiving army and they take awhile to get the hang of, so use proxies until you come up with an army list that you really enjoy (and is competitive too). I made a fun list, and I loved my first list, but it rarely won any games and so I've begun exploring other tactics and Grey Knights have become my most expensive army because I didn't play test enough.

-Spaar

·
877 Posts
I would say dont get the psycannon for the dread, as you can give GKTs psycannons, best dreadnoughts in my experience are assault cannon + DCCW or assault cannon + missle launcher and then take extra armor, a lot of people think that the TLLC / ML is the only way to go but I have had more luck with the builds I have listed and they save you points to spend on grey knights.

·
loves purple tyranids
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. What if i give the Dread Assault cannon and close combat sword? Then should I get a Landraider crusader, Landraider, or two rhinos?

·
I am a free man!
4,941 Posts
How you choose to tackle your anti-armour needs is the single most important decision you will make.

I would aim for 1000 pt army, because it's really only at that level that you can get a feel for what it's like to play DH/GKs. Any smaller, and the expense of our units hamstrings any kind of decisions in list-building, and therefore in battlefield tactics, too.

So, anti-armour. There are a lot of options, but they will force your tactical hand, too, which is why the choice is so important for us.

* Dreadnoughts. This is the traditional way to approach heavily- or pure GK DH lists. Always take at least two, three if you can spare the points. TLLC/ML and extra armour (145 pts) is easily the most efficient heavy weapon solution available to the DH, both in points and in battlefield effectiveness. GKs can handle anti-infantry and close combat just fine on their own, so specializing your dread for long-range shooting means it can hang back near sight-blocking terrain, keeping it alive for the entire game despite its flimsy armour. AC/DCCW dreads can fill in this role -- as well as support assaults and anti-infantry duties -- making it a more flexible and cheaper choice. But that flexibility means that tackling AV 13-14 armour is riskier and less predictable. Such a dread must also operate at close range, exposing it to greater risk, too.

Such a list is heavy on infantry (for the DH, anyway), and entirely mobile, though not "fast", and reasonably capable of tackling all-comers with reactive tactics.

* Land Raiders (and LR Crusaders). It is possible to play a "mechanized" DH list. Take two raiders at 1000 pts, and three in games of 1500+ pts. Take small 6-man GK squads with an incinterator in each squad and pack 'em inside. The raiders are the stars of this show, acting like aircraft carrier/gunboats that release their fighters (GKs) only when the situation is appropriate, only when a killing blow can be inflicted. It's a demanding and radically different style of playing, even more unforgiving than the infantry-heavy list above, but in the right hands can be absolutely devastating as it entirely denies the opponent's anti-infantry firepower and assault units.

* Mounted ISTs with melta guns. This is kind of a gap-filling solution, giving you both Troops on the ground -- giving you more opportunities to slot your GKs as Fast Attack (though meaning you'll have fewer GKs overall) -- and the ability to tackle armour. The downside is that these are very nearly suicide squads, having to rush the enemy to get any use of their weaponry. It can work wonders, but being almost the only "fast" unit in the army makes them obvious priority targets, and Rhinos are little more than coffins under sustained fire. Use them only to supplement other anti-armour solutions, they're not really good enough to be used as your only choice. (E.g., one dread and one IST unit in a small points game can be fine.)

* Inducted IG. Take platoons or armoured fist squads, and in each one pack in a lascannon. You can build a 100% infantry, no-vehicle list this way that can prove very effective. The implication, however, is that you'll have fewer GKs than you might otherwise desire, and a static gunline will have to play a major role in your tactics.

* Allied Sisters of Battle. You can get melta-gun toting Sisters squads for just 1 pt more per model, and yet you'll get power armour and a host of other benefits that ISTs don't have. They're such an improvement over ISTs that they could just about take over anti-armour duties, with the caveat again being that, being "fast", they become obvious targets in their Rhinos.

* Allied Seraphim with inferno pistols. They get their own special category. Seraphim, being power-armoured Jump Troops that supply their own Faith (hey, one point is better than nothing!), they bring a host of capabilities to the table that wonderfully complement a GK-centric force. Not being armoured, they are far less susceptible to opposing lascannon fire, yet with inferno pistols (and krak grenades, and possibly melta bombs, and possibly an eviscerator on the VSS) they can handily tear through armour as handily as they can take out heavy infantry. The downside is that, reasonably equipped for the task, they cost even more than GKs, and thus cost you in that dept. You can also only get one such squad, so at best they can supplement your other anti-armour choices. The upside is that they are so versatile that they can fulfill multiple battlefield roles for you in the same game, even.

·
loves purple tyranids
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I want to go with either an all DH army or a DH and IG army. I was thinking two dreads, one with TLLC/ML and one with Auto Cannon/close combat sword. then a GK Grand Master. Two squads of GK. And a LR C. does this sound O.K.? is this a well balanced army against a big Khorn army? Or do you think I should add some IG? Like I said though I still don't have the codex so I am sorry for any mistakes.

·
I am a free man!
4,941 Posts
That sounds like a massive long-term plan. And without a codex ... unwise. First, get a copy of the codex. Second, play several games at the 500 pt - 1000 pt level. After you get some experience, you'll figure out the units you like to use and the way you like to play the army. Use that to inform your decisions for army expansion.

·
loves purple tyranids
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well I just got the codex from a friend and I was looking through it. I have been looking through the armory and I don't see any point cost for anything but tank enhancements. Is it written somewhere else or am I looking at it wrong?

·
Archmagos
904 Posts
Have you checked page 16? That sounds more like 18 or 19 to me.

I don't have IA4, so I have no idea how good (or not) Inquisitor Lok's rules are. It's a great model though, so in that aspect, yes. You could always use him as a regular Inquisitor.

I think I want to go with either an all DH army or a DH and IG army. I was thinking two dreads, one with TLLC/ML and one with Auto Cannon/close combat sword. then a GK Grand Master. Two squads of GK. And a LR C. does this sound O.K.? is this a well balanced army against a big Khorn army? Or do you think I should add some IG? Like I said though I still don't have the codex so I am sorry for any mistakes.
I suggest that you start off with a small DH army first, to get the feel. It should include the more basic things like normal Grey Knights and a TLLC/ML Dread or two. Then, when you expand a bit more, add a Grand Master, LR's, IG, etc.

·
I am a free man!
4,941 Posts
well I just got the codex from a friend and I was looking through it. I have been looking through the armory and I don't see any point cost for anything but tank enhancements. Is it written somewhere else or am I looking at it wrong?
It could be you have the very first printing of the DH codex, which was missing the armoury page. The only thing you can do to rectify that is to replace the codex. I've heard that GW would do the exchange for free.
SGluciousa said:
Oh, and is worth it to get Inquisitor Lok??
If it's in Imperial Armour ... probably not. IA units are always a little overcosted because they're special. If you want the model, go nuts. Just use him as a normal Inquisitor or Inqusitor Lord from the codex.

·
loves purple tyranids
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hey thanks, it ended up being the pages stuck together. Oh and inquisitor lok is way to expensive now...oh well.

·
Registered
534 Posts
where did you even find those rules of Inquisitor Lok? There are only 2 special characters in our codex, and Lok isn't one of them. In which book does Inquisitor Lok resides?

I also recommend, like all others, to take dread for Anti-armor solutions. I know its a bit of a wast of the high weapon skill, but DH don't have that many weapons that are effective against armour. Importing IG could also help, taking a few Sentinals? (haven't done it myself though) or sometimes also popular: Flying Cannoness and Seraphim (do a search, you'll find what I mean for sure).

Also, Im an assasin kind of guy. Callidus assasin could really help with your anti-tank solutuions, positioning them outside cover, so you have a chance of shooting at them in first turn. Or you could always disrupt infantry, but sending his troops all over the place (2 guys into difficult terrain, the rest as far a apart as you can muster.) This way, you can keep that unit from doing anything usefull, as they MUST try to get back into unit coherency! :EVIL:

And also, get many power armored GK, because these will win your day.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Ill give a brief over view on Lok::::

For the points you pay for him, you do get a good deal - you get alot, and I mean alot with him (in a way like you do for the DH special Inquisitor) -- however, though he is built in a way to go against 'nids -- he sucks.

You get almost no survivability and almost nothing in the way of firepower / closecombat power -- in effect he is exactly what he looks like the in the fluff of IA4

Also, he is meant to be a WH Inquisiter >.>

Though the model is toooooooo nice so get without delay :p

·
Archmagos
904 Posts

·
durus
2,578 Posts
Chill out, relax, this is an awesome forum, especially Deamonhunters!

Ask anything, it's all good!

Welcome Bother!

Cheers, DH

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.