Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone hear when a new box set of 40K will be released. Now that the 3rd LOTR boxed game is in stores I would think that this item would be next on their to do list.

I am praying to the gods of all things 40K that the new set will be Space Marines vs. Tyranids and that it will feature some new artwork and updated rule book.

any rumors floating around?

tom :a

·
Registered
735 Posts
Sometime next year or as late as 2005 4th edition 40k.
WAAAGH!

·
Registered
849 Posts
I've heard about it, but I haven't heard of any new boxed set being released. If there is a new boxed set, it will probably be Daemonhunters and Chaos. The newsest and most popular armies at present. The Space Marines have had their chance and there aren't enough Nid players to include them in the Boxed set.....

·
Registered
735 Posts
I was thinking its time for the Orks to make another showing in a boxed set, just like 2nd edition 40k, Space Marines and Orks, the classic show down.
WAAAGH!

·
Registered
415 Posts
With the release of 4th edition next summer (i think) they will defanitly bring a new one out then . My hopese are that its daemonhunters v tau (i dont like tau )
but the chances are it will space marine v some one probly darkeldar or chaos :w

·
Registered
58 Posts
Without doubt, it'll be Space Marine v someone, since SM are the flagship race for Games Workshop, and there are less models for more points.
Space Marines also have very few special rules, good if your starting out.

It's just economics.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Without doubt, it'll be Space Marine v someone, since SM are the flagship race for Games Workshop, and there are less models for more points.
Space Marines also have very few special rules, good if your starting out.
That is exactly why it probably will be SM. It gets new players to start witha small, cheap force that is quite powerful (i dont want to start an argument with the collecters of other armies, i am just sayin'). They also get players used to special rules without overwhelming them.

·
Keeper of Records and Ale
10,982 Posts
It'll be Sms, because as it's been said they are the best beginner's army. And I think it'll be 'Nids, with 'Stealers in box. They should be easy to put together if it's going to be snap together models.

168 Posts
Its SM vs. 'Nids, becuase 'nids don't sell well. I guess they want to get them up and running. Don't expect it to work, as few new players to 40K are crazy enough to play 'nids (and experienced ones for that matter:lol:).

·
Registered
62 Posts
hmm prolly it's SM vs necrons both armies are suitable for beginners (well for Crons not really but painting wise yeah it's for beginners).

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
One thing is for sure, it's definantly gonna be space marines vs. someone.
Obviously not dark eldar since they are in this edition and besides... they don't sell good.

Maybe as you say it might be 'nids.
They are an obvious enemy... no doubt about that...
I don't think tau will be the "enemy".
What most new players look for is maybe some "real" good guys versus bad guys theme.
So most proparbly it will be some mean looking enemy.
My guess is that it is either nids or orks...
But hey!
That's my oppinion...

·
Registered
436 Posts
I hope Eldar do something, as i have not seen an eldar campaign sinc i started collecting...

Also, if a new edition comes out, does it mean that my army will be obselete, or can i still use it?

·
Registered
266 Posts
You can still use all of your models, of course, but the rules will probably be changed a bit. However, from what I've heard, this edition won't come anywhere close to the rules shakeup of the last edition.

·
Registered
974 Posts
They will probably bring out the next starter set with 4TH edition, And we already have new models for choas and daemonhunters, so I expect It will definetly be SM vs Orks, its really only natural that they bring out one of the best selling sides against one of the worst. (Shame, Im crimson fists and id like to take another shot at those orks!) I would like to see more Ork stuff anyway, easy to wipe out :D
Hope that helped. And you know what would be good in forth edition, in my opinion. GIANT FERETS FROM OOMPA-CHEESE IX!

Bye Bye Fellow Cheese Lovers!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I agree with the Chees Master.....I think it will be Space Marines and Orks. They both have plastics and the SM's are the staple of the game system. I believe somone said earlier it is simple economics....he's right. The one thing I have learned sice I succomed to the the sickness of 40K is GW is all about the money. Why do you think they redo the rules often, it leads to a new boxed set, then a new line of models, new fluff, new this and that......$1000 later here we are the same visciouse cycle has begun again......

·
Registered
223 Posts
They might make up another race and sack one of the less popular ones off, maybe even just add another race full stop.

What it will come down to is who is in charge of the release and the brainstorming of ideas behind it.

Lets face it that is how the Tau came about, "Look, why are there no ninja oriental types in the game? Everyone loves the Japanese don't they, I myself have four replica samurai swords, have seen every Akira Kurosawa film twice and think I can draw like manga illustrators so that must mean something...." to which... "We tried oriental themes before, 'Nippon' sucked the big one so lets just let those few lone fruitcakes like yourself give themselves netnames like 'Sensei Tsukagamasukinaka' and pretend they are thicko Japanese criminals err I mean Yakuzas and call their chapters the 'Ronins' or the 'Space Samurai' or whatever, its not as if we have to play with that sort very often.." and then "But what do you mean (nearly in tears) Oriental culture is so much better than everything else in life don't you understand that? Look I have a tattoo in Japanese - it means errrr... something or other. Why are you being so mean to me? Are you racist or something? Didn't you watch Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon? Waaaaaa!" Finally... "Look if I say you can do this will you just take your stupid hats and dopey swords, kind of system of honour that is half patronising and half nonsensical and idiot unpronouncable titles out of my sight and never apply them to me or the Imperium of Man ever again?" , "m'kay, can my race live in the Galactic Orient?", "Whatever", "can they be called the Sensei Space Ronin of Doom" ...... "You are this close to having your entire set of paints inserted into you at the moment you know?...."

Ahem.

Anyhow the point being a new designer could come along and dump his ideas on the hobby by making something new (always popular in these boxed sets - remember lizardmen in WHFB?) or revamping (read mauling over) an older and less well selling line.

In any event for the new set if it materialises I put Space Skaven forward as a much loved race which arises having wiped out the Tau and the Necrons who have really badly dubious storylines to begin with.

·
Professional Lurker
2,085 Posts
i heard somewhere that itll be marined and nids though im gonna keep wishin for guard and chaos

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.