Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone pretty new to 40K and Eldar especially as only got them with the new codex.
I play two different people most of the time who are Imperial Fists and Chaos.

Not so worried about the Imperial Fist guy as he's not so good but the Chaos (my brother) uses two helldrakes, two forgefiends predator two hellbrutes and that flamer relic with the torrent special rule.

Struggling to build a 2K list that i will then buy. I'll list what models I have then the list I am thinking of building then pending suggestions from you guys buying the rest of the army.

So I have the following:

Farseer (on foot and bike)
Autarch (on foot/wings)

9 windriders
5 avengers
10 guardians

6 Fire Dragons
6 Scorpions
5 Wraithguard

5 warp spiders
vyper

2 wave serpents
1 fire prism
3 support battery

wraithknight

Now my initial 2K list

CAD
Farseer on bike 150
Autarch - Mask and fusion gun - 85?

Wraithguard in Wave serpent (starcannon) - 275

Windriders x 5 Cannons 135
Windriders x 4 cannons
Rangers x 5 - 60

Crimson Hunter - 140
Vyper Missile launcher - 55

Fire Prism - 125
Support Batter x 2 D cannon - 110
Support Battery x 1 D cannon - 55

Wraithknight - D cannons - 295

Aspect host

Fire Dragons in wave serpent (brightlance / stanconnon) - 235
Swooping Hawks - 90
Warp spiders - 105

If i'm not mistaken thats 2003 points (we allow 5 points over)

Please as much feedback as possible would be appreciated.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you're frequently going up against flamer-type weapons, I'd suggest an Avatar. He gives some nice buffs to nearby friendlies, but mainly by being immune to flamer and melta he can just run up to things that rely on those weapon-types and paste them. Also, if you're ever fighting any Chaos forces who use anything that positively affects any Daemons in a certain distance the Avatar will also benefit from them.

Besides all that, an Avatar will usually draw a lot of attention while being able to take a lot of hits. I've had opponents get fixated on this burning giant war-daemon charging up the middle of the battlefield, leaving my other units relatively unopposed (it's fun when they realise what it means to have let some Wraithguard get close). And even then, the Avatar usually manages to wipe out some squads or blow up some vehicles even if he ends up getting brought down.

Avatars don't seem to get a lot of love, and I don't really understand why...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I love the idea of the avatar.
Two questions though, what do i drop to fit him in? and gw model or forgeworld.

On another note picked up a war walker yesterday and the crimson hunter

·
Registered
33 Posts
To fit the Avatar, I'd probably look to reduce squad sizes. Maybe swap out the Autarch? You'd lose the Reserves bonus, admittedly. The Avatar wouldn't have the same mobility as a winged Autarch but you'd have basically the same ranged weapon but with better BS, plus an Assault beast and the aforementioned proximity buffs. I'd also maybe consider dropping the Rangers to accommodate the Avatar, but that might just be from my own experiences using them without much success.

Model-wise, I'd say that's a matter of personal preference even if you put aside the monetary cost. The FW one is certainly an impressively majestic piece, but it's also big. I use the GW version (a metal one I've had for nearly 20 years) and I like how it interacts with scenery. The percentage of the model that's obscured may not always matter but having a taller model that towers over more things would give me less control over what is able to draw line of sight and target him.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have ordered the GW avatar which should be here this week. What's the preference more units or fewer units and more upgrades? also what does everyone use for anti air, just bought the crimson hunter but armour 10 scares me tbh

Also just thinking both avatar and wraithknight are LOW so could only take one?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts