Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I'd like to ask for your help with my upcoming Alpha Legion army. I'm at the stage where I'm building a list and starting to fill out the basic troops selections. I also don't plan on using any marks, just veteran skills. Here are my questions:

1) Are there any units that are particularly worth it in an Alpha Legion army?
2) I'm planning on giving pretty much every CSM squad infiltrate, so should I tailor them to tank-busting, assault and such, or should i sort of all-around them?
3) i also play DG, so I'm an infantry kinda guy. Are there tanks worth having, or should I stick with troopers?

Also, I've put together a very nice lord IMHO, i'd like C&C please:

Chaos Lord
Chaos Bike
Dark Blade
Infiltrate
Furious charge
Bionics
Daemonic Strength
150 pts.

So, on the charge, (which I will hopefully have first turn) he attacks with an initiative of 6 with a strength of 8. I'll probably also back him up with a small unit of bikers to eat the odd wound for him. Bionics are there to give him a bit of help surviving.

·
Registered
105 Posts
:sleep: :( you want to play alpha legion well i have to ask if you have the capability of hitting a target from every angle. That is the alpha legion way... lol :shifty: :w00t: just have fun with it be versitle, ya never know what some sm player might throw at you out of the rhino or deep strike in . . . you can have two assault weapons right then go with one plasma and one melta with to 8 man squads. also Use a Predator with lascannon sponsors if that is to big just stick to rhinos and raptors.field 1 devastator squad and one squad of bikes to act as retinue to your lord

Try Avisdeleo chapter[ Birds of destruction:yes: :w00t:

·
Registered
886 Posts
Ahh, bikes can't infiltrate: your lord won't work :(

Other than that I think that every squad should be capable in close combat, even if you don't tool them specificly for it. The reason is you shouldn't be afraid of your guys getting close, they're infiltrating after all!
CC squads with melta guns as specal weapons are helpful. As are shooty squads with plasma. Either way be sure to take an AC and give him a powerweapon(fist).

Infiltrating havocs are very powerful, and are a lot fluffier (to me) for Alpha legion than using vehicles for heavy support.

Overall I see Alpha Legion as a sneaky infantry list. Hit them hard and fast and using infiltrating hit them where they can't easily respond. Then move on to the next target.
So I reccomend taking lots of marines, all tooled for a purpose. They're a cool army hope you enjoy them.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I looked in my codex, and, unfortunately, you're right.:angry: Oh well...

Also, I've put together a list. I'd like your comments on it please:

HQ

Chaos Lord
-Chaos Bike
-Dark Blade
-Daemonic Strength
-Bionics
-Furious Charge

145 pts.

Troops

8x Chaos Space Marines
-A/C with Powerfist
-Infiltrate
-Bolt pistols and CCW’s
-2x Plasma pistols
-Furious Charge
200 pts.

8x Chaos Space Marines
-A/C with combi-melta and melta-bombs
-Infiltrate
-Bolters
-2x Melta-guns
-Tank Hunters
200 pts.

8x Chaos Space Marines
-A/C with combi-bolter
-Infiltrate
-Missle Launcher
-Plasma Gun
164 pts.

10x Chaos cultists
-Autopistols and CCW’s
-Assasins
60 pts.

Fast Attack

5x Raptors
-A/C with Lightning Claws
-Infiltrate
193 pts.

3x Bikers
-A/C with Powerfist
130 pts.

Heavy Support

5x Havocs
-Infiltrate
4x Missle Launchers
160 pts.

1252 pts.

·
Now with STFU flames!
5,917 Posts
Is there a special reason why you've chosen a Bike for the Lord instead of Infiltration + Daemonic Speed? After all, Alpha Legion = infiltration, and taking a bike sort of defeats that purpose. Daemonic Speed + Infiltration will grant you more kills sooner than any other combination that a Lord can take.

Troops number 1 - drop the Plasma Pistols and replace with Meltaguns. If you look closely at the two, you'll find that they are practically the same, except the Meltagun is far superior. Higher strength, lower AP value, melta effect, and won't kill your own models. The only downside is you lose one CC attack, but that comes off a line trooper which is nothing to worry about.

Troops number 2 - Get rid of the Combi-melta and Tank Hunters. Both are a waste of points. Stick with Furious Charge if you must have another Vet skill, and stick with a BP/Powerfist for the Champ.

Troops number 3 - Drop the Plasma Gun, or the replace the Missile Launcher with another one. I never recommend taking a special weapon in conjunction with a Heavy Weapon - they just don't fit right. Plasma guns are probably the way to go - with Infiltration, you can get into Rapid Fire range and put some serious hurt into any power armour list. The Champ should have a Power weapon if you go this route, as they will most likely see combat.

Cultists - What's the point, other than to waste 60 points? They will be lucky to kill a single MEQ before they die, assuming they even manage to make it to Close Combat. With no daemons to summon, what's their role?

Raptors - Too small of a unit to mount any effective assault, and the L-Claws are a poor choice. I realize that's what the model comes with, but that doesn't make them good. Best sticking with either a Power weapon + Furious Charge, or Power fist. Personally, I like Furious Charge as you can hit strength six, Hit and Run during their turn, and charge back in to finish them off.

Bikers - They seem out of place. Is their only role to perform as a bodyguard for the Lord? That's simply a waste of points - you're paying 34 points a wound!

Havocs - These guys need some extra bodies. One extra marine per Heavy Weapon is a good rule of thumb. Also, Tank Hunters would be a nice addittion to them.

Now, on to general Alpha Legion tactics -

Almost all Alpha Legion lists tend to be Infantry heavy. Since everything recieves a cheap Infiltration bonus, for every tank or biker unit you take, you are degrading that bonus a little bit. Sometimes the extra unit out weighs the loss of Infiltration on another unit, sometimes it doesn't.

What does this mean? It means that Alpha Legion lists are slow. After the initial setup, your list will be stuck foot slogging around. The Bikes help this, as do the Raptors, but neither unit is big enough to make much of an impact. Any mechanized force will simply kill those two units and then avoid your entire army. The best way to get around this is to bring in some heavy fire support, namely in the form of Havocs.

I honestly believe that Alpha Legion lists would fail horribly if it weren't for the addition of Havocs. My own list runs two units of 4X Autocannons, and they sit back and provide fire support for anything my foot troops can't reach. Skimmers cause me no problems. Rhinos are blown up easily. 'Nids die in droves. All because of my Havocs. And, ofcourse, the addition of three Oblits helps quite a bit as well.

Moving on - Cultists. If you're going to use them, use them right. Always make them Assassins. Always. Secondly, give the Champion a Power weapon and Daemonic Strength, and perhaps some Melta bombs. Now you have a Power weapon wielding machine that wounds Marines on a 3+, strikes at the same time they do, and is protected by 19 wounds.

Don't forget the Oblits - they're amazingly versatile, and should be seriously considered. The ability to adapt to any situation on the fly is something that is hard to pass up.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HQ

Chaos Lord
-Daemonic Speed
-Dark Blade
-Daemonic Strength
-Bionics
-Infiltrate
-Furious Charge
-Bolt Pistol
141 pts.

Troops

8x Chaos Space Marines
-A/C with Powerfist
-Infiltrate
-Bolt pistols and CCW’s
-2x Melta-guns
-Furious Charge
200 pts.

8x Chaos Space Marines
-A/C with Powerfist
-Infiltrate
-Bolters
-2x Melta-guns
176 pts.

8x Chaos Space Marines
-A/C with power weapon
-Infiltrate
-Bolters
-2x Plasma guns
171 pts.

Fast Attack

8x Raptors
-A/C with Power Weapon
-Infiltrate
343 pts.

Heavy Support

9x Havocs
-Infiltrate
4x Missle Launchers or autocannons?
220 pts.

1251 pts.

This is my revised list, incorporating Caluin's advice.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Looks good to me!
(It should though if you listen to Caluin, he's quite an expert on the game in general and Alpha Legion in particular.)

Hmm cause 1250 isn't a standard game size I would add some more havocs and give them (and your current ones) the tank hunter veteren skill. That ought to put you around 1500 and with a splendid list.
hope you enjoy!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well, as you can see from my sig, I'm a coucillor for the Order of the Shadowy Flame, and we're doing an army list contest. The point cap for 40k happens to be 1250 pts. But yes, I was planning on some more firepower in the larger sized battles. Possibly even a cult choice or something of the sort!

Also, I'm using Alpha Legion rules, but using a different color scheme (I'm a horrible painter, can't get the normal scheme) and some slightly different fluff, just because I'm good at fluff writing

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, i don't use cultists, but, I was thinking of using maybe some cadians mixed with some cool chaosy bits. (Or maybe the new vostryans coming out)

·
451 Posts
Hey,

Skyshadow said:
What mode(s)l do you use for your cultists?
For economical horde-building, use plastic Regiment Box Sets:

Plastic Catachans come with all the bits you need for 20 basic Cultists.

They're *way* out of fashion with IG players and thus sold at discount.

If you want more than 20, add a box of Empire Militia to mix-n-match bits.

This yields 40 Cultists with a feudal/PDF appearance I find appropriate (ymmv).

EM aren't a popular Unit in FB/Mordheim, so these boxes are often affordable.

To go all-out, add a (still-popular) Zombie Regiment box. In total, this yields -

Sixty (!) grisly backwater jungle fighters bristling with bizarre CCWs.

(Arrrgh! My Commissar just got stabbed with a *pitchfork*?!)

As Caluin mentioned above, always give Cultists the Assassin skillset.

I would also add - Always give them some Daemons to summon!

Choose any kind you like as long as they're Bloodletters or Daemonettes. ;- )

Good luck, and have fun!

Playa

·
Registered
105 Posts
Skyshadow said:
cool someone else whos starting an Alpha legion army. What mode(s)l do you use for your cultists?
Man it seems everyone have cultist problems lol

For my cultists i used the cadian boxed set (20 per squad) and combined them with the mutators sprews and some of their own wpns.

In the box you get 5 chainswords and 5 laspistols or whatever IG call em (flashlights i think)

Combined with the mutators sprew wich is 6 of each arm (left and right)

That gives you enough for 11 guys to have fitting arms as for the rest i just used my plastic SM scout arms (but i play both armies so this is a diff case)

My original idea was to use dark eldar with the pistoly thingy and that... i guess you can call it a ccw...

As for your heavy wpns problems: i use my troop choices (sometimes) with one heavy wpn and 4 other marines and i use my havoc troop choices i would regular ones (for cheaper 1 squad lascannons)

I think the only tank i use is the defiler... and thats only if i have 150 points to spare and i alredy cover all the bases.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts