Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the things I would like to try once with the new book, is 4 flying vampires, one with ghoulkin, in a unit of ghouls. At the beginning they get to make a march move, getting your vampires in charge range in turn 1.

I've only seen the book once, so if there is something preventing this setup please let me know. But just imagining my opponents face when my 4 killers take out a unit before he gets to move... I know, requires that I get first turn and that he takes the charge with something I can break. But a guy can dream, right? :happy:

On a related note, I see the flying circus being much more viable now, with extra powers/magic on your vampires. Personally I'm planning a more mobile collection of characters, as opposed to my 'solid center' deployment that I use currently. The new marching rule for vampires encourage me to do a lot more manuevering on the flanks, as I don't need the general to enhance mobility.

Thoughts/comments?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Interesting Idea, but how do you plan to win combat with only vampire charge in unless you plan to throw all of them at the same target and sure they will lose combat and flee??

A typical block of 20 man unit with full command already have combat resolution of 5 with musician to break tie, so unless you can throw enough vampire at target to get 6 kills you lose combat and crumble....

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
What's with the negativity? I just said it could be fun to try. :happy:

I don't play in GT-like environments, and never suggested trying it in a powergaming setting, just something to shake the friends up on game night. And with 4 vampires, possibly one of them a BSB and another with Walking Death, I'm pretty sure I can break something.

And yes Chow, the idea is to throw them all at the same unit and breaking it in the first round, placing my flyers in his midst and possibly panicking a few of the units next to them. Maybe even have one of the vampires cause terror, for fun.

On a more serious note, I've heard of others making the Strigoi flying circus work, and thought that with the new book it might be something to consider again. It obviously has glaring weaknesses, but with a little tweaking and sound tactics it won't just roll over and die to the cannon gunline from hell (or Nuln).

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
What's with the negativity? I just said it could be fun to try. :happy:

I don't play in GT-like environments, and never suggested trying it in a powergaming setting, just something to shake the friends up on game night. And with 4 vampires, possibly one of them a BSB and another with Walking Death, I'm pretty sure I can break something.

And yes Chow, the idea is to throw them all at the same unit and breaking it in the first round, placing my flyers in his midst and possibly panicking a few of the units next to them. Maybe even have one of the vampires cause terror, for fun.

On a more serious note, I've heard of others making the Strigoi flying circus work, and thought that with the new book it might be something to consider again. It obviously has glaring weaknesses, but with a little tweaking and sound tactics it won't just roll over and die to the cannon gunline from hell (or Nuln).
I'm just saying, that this (as well as 2 stank armies and the like) are not fun to play against. If you're just goofing around with friends, and that's the way you guys like to play, that's fine, but we've got 2 guys who only make lists like that, and they wonder why no one wants to play with them.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fair enough, I mainly objected to the lack of anything relevant or constructive.

And this would be the first time I ever did a one-trick thing like this, I normally build balanced lists ahead of time, without knowing who or what I will face. So doing this list might ensure me a victory, or seal my fate...

·
459 Posts
One idea me an Von were thinking about was 4 vampires on flying steeds, being deployed next to a black coach. Take bloodline of extra power dice and you can potentially fully power up the black coach in 1 turn, realistically 2. So not only do you have 4 flying vampires, you also have a flying black coach too.

IIRC the list was something like:

Vampire lord
Vampire
Vampire
Vampire
all on the flying steed and tooled up.

Minimal core, probably 3x10 skellies

4 units of 5 black knights

Black Coach

If you take bloodline of +2 power dice for all the vampires and +1 magic level bloodline for the lord (and +1 magic lvl non-bloodline) then you're looking at 15 power dice, (though Black coach takes on average 3), and your going to have 8 raise spells (though only 4 may be really effective) to maintain numbers or raise.
7 dispel dice (+ any scrolls) too to help block magic missles against your knights.

EDIT: Apparently the Black Knights are only "Move like Ethereal" instead of the full on "Ethereal" deal, so that does make the following a lot less effective. Dang

Ethereal black knights laugh at most shooting and then they charge in just as strong as other knights and don't have to worry about attacks back in most cases. Combine the knights charge with a (hopefully) fully tooled up black coach (flying, ethereal, chariot impact hits and what not) and 4 flying vampires and it's a bit nasty. If you really need to move fast you could also fly a vampire over towards the knights to let some of them march.

Magic shooting or massively magical armies do pose a problem though. Big blocks also pose a problem (due to combat res) and will require careful engagement from multiple units, though hopefully the mobility of the army should help solve that.

The other option would be taking a Varghulf instead of the coach.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It sounds like a lot of fun, but with all characters being on flying steeds it takes out a lot of the surprise. Plus it removes your tactical flexibility. Unless flying steeds can join units? Not sure about this...

But with all that said, I'm still fascinated by the "Hellsteed cavalry". ;Y
Vampires flying around, bringing the pain to whereever it is needed, I'm sold! I realize warmachines will effectvely shut down this tactic, but damn, it's cool!!:C

Can't wait to try out the new list. And chances are I will be doing just that on monday, on gaming night at my local store. The owner suggested I use his book to give the vampires a trial run.:drinking:

·
Registered
7 Posts
iv used the new VC army book and it is very flixible imho, much more so that the 6th ed one

having flying vampires can be great fun as iv done it myself :)
now i understand its for fun but the general really needs to be protected and losing him second turn...youve lost! simple really lol

it may be a fun list but you want it to last a while too

having core units of ghouls...if you can afford £££ 3 or 4 sets of 20 then having a vampire lord with ghoulkin and summon ghoul and master of the black arts, then with walachs bloody hauberk, enchanted shield and the book of arkhan, you can stick him in the centre of your army and have him move all your core units first turn and magic phase with Vanhels!!, raise back soooo many with 5PD + power pool and on a 3+
yes he is incredibly expensive but watch your army practically fly :act-up:

then you have the other 3 vampires...
infiniate hatred - re-roll hits
walking death - +1 CR...stacks to 3 :)
Sword of Battle - +1A..total of 4 each
Talisman of the Lycni - Movement 9" is great for that unexpected attack...with 3 vampires haha
Flayed hauberk - 2+ armour save

so you have 3 hard hitting fast moving hard to kil vampires running like hell for leather around the boards..heads up guys :soldier:
move 9" charge 18", 12 A's, s5, Re-roll hits, ws6...that what your after?
also stick them in one of each of your ghouls squads for the extra free fisrt turn move

another thing is being able to take forbidden lore with lore of the beasts..bears anger OR lore of fire and have Flaming sword of rhuin, let that suprise come last haha but be warned they cant use magic weapons and it is a remains in play spell, so not on your ressurection lord of doom!!!

Corpse carts are also fantastic things to have behind your lines, be very careful if your army moves too fast for it tho it has to be within 6" remember.

Black knights are ungodly, with etheral movement, killing blow and being able to make a character hunter wight king,
sword of kings - killing blow on 5+ and gem of blood to survive that first wound taken and then some, have it back in your face! haha
and with a 1+ armour save, characters are in for a veryt nasty suprise, dont forget to give you knights banner of the barrows to make sure he hits

another thing to note is...THE VARGULF CANNOT!!!! I REAPAT CANNOT FLY!!
yes he has wings and looks like he can but it mentions nowhere he can fly at all! so dont be tricked by that one
but with movement 8 he can very easily stick with your fast army and packs a hell of a punch especially if thrown in with your 3 vamps in one combat

cairn wraiths are one of my favourites tho with there etheral movement, 3A's s5 - great weapons, and then the banshee with ghostly howl...i take even vs dwarves just for the crack, dont expect it to do anything tho lol
remember tho must be within 6" of vamp or 12" general to march

well hope i didnt bore you too much lol
fingers crossed all goes well for you and remember its all about the fun so hell if you lose its not like your down for good...your undead remember :act-up:

·
459 Posts
then you have the other 3 vampires...
infiniate hatred - re-roll hits
walking death - +1 CR...stacks to 3 :)
Sword of Battle - +1A..total of 4 each
Talisman of the Lycni - Movement 9" is great for that unexpected attack...with 3 vampires haha
Flayed hauberk - 2+ armour save

so you have 3 hard hitting fast moving hard to kil vampires running like hell for leather around the boards..heads up guys :soldier:
1 - You can't take multiples of the same magic item.
2 - The wording of Walking death is "The prescence of one or more Vampires with this power in a combat adds +1 to thier sides combat resolution"which indicates that it doesn't stack.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.