Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm currently a warriors of chaos player who is growing weary of not having any shooting/skirmishers/flyers (characters don't count) and having an overall lack of tactical flexibility. I'm planning on starting a new army and trying to decide whether I should go with Skaven or Dark Elves. I like the fluff of both armies, both have nice models (although painting 120 clanrats/slaves doesn't sound all that enjoyable), and I think both have very good army books. Anyone have any opinions?

·
Torn ACL FTL
4,404 Posts
They're both a lot more fun than WoC, that's for sure.

Skaven have numbers, wacky weapons, crazy magic, and awesome stuff like the A-Bomb, Plague Furnace and Bell. Very powerful, but also lots of fun with their randomness and unique clan units.

DE have nasty shooting, nasty combat, nasty magic, and some of the meanest monsters in the game. Very cool army, not as crazy random but still very good all things considered.

I love 'em both, I play 'em both. You really can't go wrong here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The two things that concern me about skaven are their randomness and the amount of models that I'd have to paint. The army sounds like alot of fun to play (more so in a casual setting than a competetive setting, as blowing yourself up every turn can be fun but not while you're trying to win games). I think at this point I'm leaning toward dark elves but the only issue I have there is that there are two other dark elf players at my club already.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you dont want to paint a ton of models go with DE. Skaven are fun and whacky, but require a lot of models being put out on the table. My opinion, Skaven have more you can do with them. Tunneling teams, shooting, skirmishers, canons, catapults, giant spinning wheels. Heck they even have a gigantic abomination now. Only problem is they're all so very cheap pts wise so you usually outnumber your opponent 2-4:1; depending on the army your going up against of course. I play against a guy who uses DE alot and pretty much uses the same tactic every time. 3-4 Assassins with one decked out Lord and two hydras. It's effective, but it seems boring to do the same thing over and over again. Therefore, if you dont mind painting, go with Skaven. You'll find more enjoyment in them.

Just remember to laugh when something of yours blows up on the first turn.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Well i play both, but i like the skaven more. Because there more fun to play with, oh something blows up, then you don't say OW SHIT but you just laugh :p because you have so many models and opportunities. It takes some time to collect an skaven army because you need lots of models thats why there is a painting tactic called dipping^^ Actually there just like O&G(but better)

Orcs and Goblins aren't strong but they are just really fun to play with, and fun always come to the 1st place with me and if you win that's just nice but not important as long as you had a real nice battle. That's why i don't know the word cheesy i guess..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts