Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been considering this Dominion squad for a little while now and I'd like to know what you guys think.

10 Dominions
4 Storm Bolters
Vet Superior w/ Storm Bolter
Rhino w/ extra armor, smoke launchers
=224

This squad would take one turn to get into position and then unload 10 shots into an enemy unit. In subsequent turns, it can shoot 15 shots with Divine Guidance at tagets up to 24". If the enemy is approaching, they can move 6" backwards and still fire off a respectable 10 bolter rounds.

This unit is meant to be a mid-range support unit. It is not meant to rapid fire, since rapid fire makes 42 points of Storm Bolters as useful as 0 points of regular Bolters. I've never seen this squad used before and I was wondering if it was worth it's points.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I believe that the squad you mention is a little lacking in potency for it's points.
I would put them just a little short of what I would consider a "good deal".
Not enough bad to call them "bad", but not enough good to call them "good".

For the same cost (and a fast attack slot) 8 Grey Knights have 8 Stormbolters and add a tremendous boost to your CC ability, and you may Deep Strike if you choose. (Although I would not). A GK is comperable to a battle sister maxed out on all faith acts at once.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Red Zinfandel said:
I believe that the squad you mention is a little lacking in potency for it's points.
I would put them just a little short of what I would consider a "good deal".
Not enough bad to call them "bad", but not enough good to call them "good".

For the same cost (and a fast attack slot) 8 Grey Knights have 8 Stormbolters and add a tremendous boost to your CC ability, and you may Deep Strike if you choose. (Although I would not). A GK is comperable to a battle sister maxed out on all faith acts at once.
Not everyone is playing DH allies. I, for one, am not. I don't generally like allies. I won't take allies to fuel some tactics, either. Personally I think the above idea is good, but I don't think the point value justifies the extra shots.

Personally I prefer the idea of flame-heavy Dominions being covered by seperate squads of sororitas with 3 storm bolters each.

Dominions fulfill a huge anti-infantry role and flamers fit in nicely.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I understand, but you seem to have a tendancy to answer every question with: 'Take some GKs'. I believe working within the WH army list is more important given GKs and their Smurf cousins are an entirelly different kind of army than WH. SoB and Inquisitorial troops are rank&file much like Imperial Guard, just generally more potent and less models. They are, however, closer to IG than Space Marines and their point-hogging lists (which GKs are even worse).

I appreciate that the GK tactic works well for you. Furthermore, I am utterly pleased you are so thusly enamoured with them. They are not, however, the first and foremost approach anyone should consider when making a WH army, unless they previously determined they would agree to the possibility of allied units.

·
932 Posts
Take Grey Knights? No way! People will think I lack confidence in the Sisters! :)

I have used the Stormbolter variant for the Dominions before: it really only worked once and that not all that great. Since then I have opted for the flamers or the meltas.

Now mind you, I have never fought Tau: the Stormbolters might be very potent against them. They are also the longest ranged weapon that Dominions can carry and from what I've heard my friends say you need that against the Tau.

If only Sisters could take Psycannon ammo! A Dominion Squad with stormbolters & psycannon ammo would be great against Eldar! 8)

·
Registered
957 Posts
Rasheem said:
I understand, but you seem to have a tendancy to answer every question with...ake some GKs'
Really?
And where did you find the time to read all of my posts to form your judgement? I think you'll find I'm actually less than 3% talk about GKs overall, so le'ts not be going off half-c_ocked.

If 4th had not gimped Purity Seals, Retinues, and "The Passion"; and if I didn't have hear whining about fielding my Exorcist; and if the Assault Cannon hadn't been promoted to a virtual tactical nuke, then I might feel more of a drive to pass over things that might be construed as an advantage.

The day I hear a Marine player say "I refuse to use the new Assault Cannon Rules-- it's just too powerful", then I might hum a different tune. But for now, I just happen to be in more of a Grey Knight mood than normal. Allies are in the WH codex. It's not an afterthought chapter-approved write-in. It's legitimate use of the codex, and does not require opponent permission, and in my opinion is perfectly deserving of its time in the spotlight. I see no reason to ignore the allies pages in the codex, and if I want to discuss those it is well within my right.

Your point is taken that some prefer a pure army, but unless the person asking the question specifies a condition, I'm pretty sure it's not your duty to moderate my answers or to try to speak for the gaming community. No hard feelings here. Just holding my ground. ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Red Zinfandel said:
Really?
And where did you find the time to read all of my posts to form your judgement? I think you'll find I'm actually less than 3% talk about GKs overall, so le'ts not be going off half-c_ocked.
Where do I find all the time? Somewhere between common and sense, where I happen to dwell.

I see no reason to ignore the allies pages in the codex, and if I want to discuss those it is well within my right.
Your perspective is singularly focused and defensive. I have no wish to spar with 'rights' as quite honestly I could care less about what you feel is or is not your right. I am simply stating relevance and repetition.

Your point is taken that some prefer a pure army, but unless the person asking the question specifies a condition, I'm pretty sure it's not your duty to moderate my answers or to try to speak for the gaming community. No hard feelings here. Just holding my ground. ;)
Holding ground against -- what? My vicious onslaught of sudden irrational flame? That is what you're talking about, yes? If so, where and when did I slap you with the proverbial glove, engaging you in a battle of internet wits (the least noble of passtimes since manually masturbating horses for distance and accuracy contests)?

I am saying this, spelled out in simple, concise english:

We're not talking about Grey Knights or Daemonhunters. We're talking about Witchhunters, specifically a Sisters of Battle unit choice. We are discussing the potential pros and cons of a situation. When discussing said material, it is rather poignant to stick with the topic at hand, not to delve into optional options of supreme optionness.

The author of the thread may not care if you contribute your repetitive opinions on GK superiority, I was simply stating an observation you took personal.

All that aside, I now kowtow to your broadened gaming perspective and presuming tactics of text-based quipping. Praise be to you, Internet Warrior!

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
lol that pic would have bin enough without the rant but i agree on the point, unless stated otherwise the people in this forum play wh and although i like the allies rule when you take em then it ceases to be a wh army and becomes a sort of hybrid freak thing and as stated above this thread was to get oppinions on the dommy squad listed there she did not ask for other options.

and if anyone really wants to continue this then i suggest someone start a thread about the merit of the allie rules and if they have anyplace in a wh army as this is not the time nor thread to discuss such things.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Rasheem said:
We're not talking about Grey Knights or Daemonhunters.
... who are explicitly mentioned in the WH Book.

Since the topic focused upon Stormbolters, I don't think I took any kind of inappropriate leap to brink up GKs. I still do welcome your opinions outside of what I should or should not be writing about.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
who are explicitly mentioned in the WH Book.
no they are not they are the chamber militant of the ordo malleus or dh they are not wh the wh book states them as allies this is true but that does not make em part of the wh army anymore the harly's are a part of craftworld eldar army

·
Registered
957 Posts
Here's the facts:
Since GKs can appear in a WH parent army, this is the forum where that kind of discussion is designated to take place. If there were an "allies" forum, I would be making my 'allied GK' overtures there. But, like it or not, this really seems to be where the 'allied GK under WH perant' discussions belong.

I'm sorry that you guys don't like the way the site is organized. Can't help you there.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Red Zinfandel said:
Here's the facts:
Since GKs can appear in a WH parent army, this is the forum where that kind of discussion is designated to take place. If there were an "allies" forum, I would be making my 'allied GK' overtures there. But, like it or not, this really seems to be where the 'allied GK under WH perant' discussions belong.

I'm sorry that you guys don't like the way the site is organized. Can't help you there.
I don't think the site is organized in such a way that you are forced to make posts about one unit when the thread has clearly been made to talk about something else, ie dominion configurations.

If you want to discuss why Grey Knights are better than dominions or whatever other WH unit than you are completely free to make your own thread to discuss that. But this thread is about dominions, and good ways to use them. Your post simply struck me as off-topic and obviously unwanted.

Just my 2 cents.
XD

·
Registered
957 Posts
I guess you forgot about the 3 sentences where I responded to your Dominion idea.
It's inconceivable to me that a follow-up alternative would be unwelcome, but it's your thread.
Bye now.

·
The Fallen
7,906 Posts
Guys. lets answer the question.

the storm bolter dominion squad.

Zinf has given an opinion, IMHO it is a valid one and I will never tougch GKs myself, but the arguement has run out of control, so lets stop it now.

Point is, IMHO, that this squad is expensive and gives you little more than a standard sister squad (4 bolter shots some of the time) why? There are 2 better uses of dominions - drive by flaming and anti tank, both of which means they are opperating in the role they are in on the force org chart - Fast attack, add to that there are other options (excludign or inclund grey knights) which are either cheaper or more effective than dominions for fire support, and I find myself agreeing with I think it was plague who irrationalyl tried to insert some common sense (without mentioning a flamer), it aint that the squad is bad, it is that there are better options

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
yay me.... wait i didn't mention a flamer arrgh the world is comin to an end quickly everbody to the escape pods women and pyromaniacs first!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright, after reading through a couple replies I have come to the conclusion that this squad will not perform as well as I thought. But now I have a new problem...

Which of these two units would you personally prefer?

10 Battle Sisters
Vet Sis Superior
2 Meltaguns
Rhino w/ extra armor, smoke launchers
=202

OR

6 Dominions
Vet Sis Superior
4 Meltaguns
Immolator w/ extra armor, smoke launchers
=213

The Battle Sisters give me 4 more bodies, something I'm currently lacking in my Seraphim-heavy mechanized army. But the Dominions give me an Immolator and some serious anti-tank power. Has anyone had success with melta-Dominions in an Immolator with heavy flamers? It seems to me that the Immolator would be racing those Dominions towards tanks and high wound/toughness creatures, wouldn't that make the heavy flamers useless?

·
Shrubs for the Blood God
1,150 Posts
On the second one I think you might be mixing purposes there. You've got an antitank squad mounted in an anti-infantry vehicle (Heavy Flamers vs. Meltaguns). With that load out, you typically going to have to chose wether you roll up to that infantry unit and cook them, or you roll up to that armor and pop it. Either way your going to have points each turn which arn't earning their keep. You can reconfigure the immolator to have a TL MultiMelta i believe, but at that point I would personally just mount the unit in a chimera with its antitank weapon.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yeah, as far as troop anti-tank I think you're better off with a solo jumppack Cannonness with an Inferno Pistol and an Eviscerator -or- Seraphim with the same. But then you get into the territory of point vs effectiveness. Seraphim can get expensive quick. I would mount any anti-tank troops on jumppacks instead of a transport mostly due to psychology issues. Enemies always shoot at tanks, and you don't want to footslogger them because your enemy can and will defend his transports with support or by speeding away.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
no 2# is the best config actually give em holy promethium then fire the meltas into a transport and if it works you can flame the occupants when they bail

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.