Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all my buddy has asked me to help him with a new list. After plugging through the book for a few days and discussing where the synergy was between all the units I came up with this list.

HQ
Prime- rending claws, scything talons, norn crown

Deathleaper

Troops
3 warriors
2x5 genestealers with broodlord
2x20 gants
20 gaunts with adrenal and toxin

Elites
2x2 venomthropes
3 Zoanthropes

Fast
Harpy w/TL venom cannons
2x5 spore mines

Heavy
3 biovores
2x Exocrines

So basically the prime runs with the gaunts sheilded by the gants all of which are in the shroud bubbles of the venomthropes. Genes infiltrate up for the broodlords to horrify heavy weapon teams or other squads as needed. Depending on the situation harpy can start on or off same as deathleaper, spores DS in on enemy lines while biovores rain spores just being a thorn in the enemies side (or head). The whole plan is for the gribblies to run up as fast as possible under the shroud then have the gaunts assault a key unit and let the prime rip some face. So what do you guys think? Hopefully going to get a test game in here soon. Of course the list will be going up against Dark Eldar so might not be the best test, but we will see.

Comments, thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Quixos

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
The gene stealers I am not 100% on, but I haven't run any yet so I can't say they won't work ok. The MSU style wth the broodlord definitely seems (atleast on paper) to be the bed way of running them, so I would be interested to know how they perform.

My only real criticism is the harpy. I honestly don't care much for them. Gorgeous models, fun abilities and I like the fluff, so they are tempting to use. But the issue is as the only flyer and having t5 with a 4+ save, it's probably not going to last long if your opponent has any dedicated anti-air. Also, it cannot do a whole lot against other air units, which is just one more reason to not run one. The crone looks promising, and will help to fill the gap your list has.

That said, if he is only going to go against you, and you don't have any fliers or a ton of anti-air, the harpy will be a fun unit. But in competitive play, I just can't yet justify the harpy :/

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Khan! So we pit this list up against my DE, and my buddy wanted to play the crone instead of the harpy. I only had a Viod Raven in my list and my buddy hid the crone behind the rest of the army till my flyer came in. And upon arrival he launched two tenticlids and Vectored it only taking one hull point off but it put his beast in a very poor position and it was gunned down by my warriors. His Exocrines did a much better job at taking down my flyer. I had a pretty tough go at moving down the field and even as DE I was held up at the mid line. The gene sealers did their job for the most part, pinning two units while sitting on objectives. of course my shooting pushed him back but the prime in the guant squad was pretty nasty and it hacked apart a unit of warriors before dying horibly to venom fire and wych assualts. In the end we made it to turn 5 and I was up by two objectives and had line breaker and first blood. His warlord was Deathleaper and man is that guy a pain to kill. He decimated a wych squad then moved on to kill off some wracks and a homn gaining him an extra two VPs. If I didn't have the objectives I would have lost, but as it is I won 8 to 6.

He went on to play some Imperial Fists and actually tied that game. His star units were the genes, biovores, and Gaunts. The exocrines took out the storm talon and wiped out a squad of centurians turn one. but the genes kept his devs pinned until the rest of the army got to grips with them. The biovores took out his librarian with barage sniping, it was rather hilarious! The only real issue he had was with a demolisher and the harpy took that out with some rear armor shots turn two. The venomthropes were paramount and saved quite a few bugs including his synapse. I think the key factor into his moral victory was that he was hyper aggressive and pushed everything forward as fast as possible. By doing this he was able to threaten his opponent into altering his target priority, and with his devs pinned down there was very little he could do against the horde. Oh and the spore mines are a great harrasment unit, now that we have more control over them they can be used to great effect.

All in all the list did a lot better than we were expecting it to and even though the grav guns ate the exocrines up after they gunned down the talon they did very well and we are both very happy with the over all performance of the list. With a few tweeks here and there we may make it work after all.

Quixos

·
Double Clutching Weasel
3,279 Posts
Sounds like your buddy was having a good run of it. I think most lists will see venomthropes as crucial in keeping your bugs alive. They are well worth their points for a defensive bonus. Also have to agree that the Exocrine is an absolute beast, and is definitely worth his points. He puts out enough shots, that he can even do anti-air in a pinch.

Keep on letting us know how it's going. It's nice to hear someone having a good go of it instead of always focusing on the negative.

·
Hive Tyrant
401 Posts
I feel that the prime is better suit to join the venomthropes to improve their durability in my experience.

Also toxin sacs on the genestealres is nice, i'd make it 1 large unit with the broodlord instead of 2 to pack a stronger melee punch with toxin sacs.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Akaiyou thanks for the tip, my buddy was able to pull another win against orks! The primes in with the venomthropes was a great buff, and helped a bit more with synapse placement. But really my buddy only charges with the genestealers if it is his last option. We have been infiltrating them up by mid field objectives and then ramming the rest of the army down the opponents throat, and so far has been working to great effect. We also found that with the horror we can pretty reliably pin certain units (orks don't really care mostly due to BS 2) thus allowing our gribblies a reliable assault through cover. The key units thus game were the Exocrine's, venomthropes, Biovores, and the prime.

Dakka jets don't like exocrine's, all three were shot down by them. Two crashing and killing lots of boyz, hur hur hur! The venomthropes staved off lots of wounds from shoota boyz. And Biovores took out well over 30 orks! The decked out prime took out a tooled up warboss and his battlewagon! The Ork player had an ADL so the harpy didn't fly hardly at all but when we ran down his grots with the genestealers that was the end of that. Oh and we charged the harpy in to support the gaunts charging into terrain and it worked fairly well. And spore mines took out two entire units of lootaz basically on their own! It was hilarious!

We are fairly happy with the list and my buddy wants to try and work a mawlock in somehow to see how well it performs plus he wants to run some Devilgants. A tau player challenged him, not sure when that will take place but we will see how we do. I know that this kid loves to take net lists so again we will see.

Hope you guys are having some success in your own matches.

Quixos

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I've also seen the gene stealers used extremely effectively as a "counter" charge unit. Because its difficult to get them up the field unscathed, it seems their new role is...

1) Force -2 ld pinning checks on things in range
2) "Discourage" your opponent from just rushing in and charging something.
3) Defending home objectives.

Because they don't have any instinctive behavior, they actually make decent objective holders!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts