Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

as the title explains, im very new to this 8th ed system. i previously played Dwarfs way back in 6th ed and am now starting to collect a new DE army. I Have a mate who wants to play me in a small 1000pt battle soon, and i thought Id make up a army list and gets some thoughts and opinions on the new 8th ed DEs, what works and what doesnt! Cheers for any feedback

btw my mate has a wood elf army

Heroes - 275pts

2x Lvl 2 Sorceresses
Dispel scroll
Power stone

Core - 250pts

5x Dark Riders
Repeater bows
Shield
Musician

10x Darkshards
shield
musician

Special - 352pts

21x Executioners
Command squad

1x Bolt Thrower

Rare - 125pts

5x Doomfire Warlocks

My overall plan was to have the dark shards shadow my main block of Executioners, weakening any melee units or scattering skirmish units or mounted riders, while the executioners to take on any main resistance wood elf units ie. Treeman, dryads, etc.

The dark riders and warlocks would take a flank together along with the reaper bolt thrower and just try to shoot or harass flanks and skirmisher units with their fire and spells. Maybe charge weak missile units.

The two sorceresses I have aplan but im not sure how well it would work. One sorc would go with the executioners and try use lore of life get either flesh to stone or awakening to keep my executioners alive on the way to their charge into melee, while the other sorc would go Dark/Shadow/Beasts and either support with direct damage or augment again the executioners.

Its only a friednly game but it would help a alot to know what to do in small games now so that i can improve my game in bigger matches.

Ta for listening!

·
Fanatic
882 Posts
Hi mate welcome.
First things first, you can not have more than one arcane item per wizard and you can not take the same item twice in the same army.
Now that the list can be made legal, I would suggest dropping one of the wizards for a master bsb with armour of destiny, sea dragon cloak and halberd.
Then any left over pts can go on more executioners.
So nothing wrong with the list, just needs to be legal and swap the wizard for BSB, then you should be set.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi mate thanks for the prompt reply.

Just to clear things up I planned on giving each sorceress a magic item each, so no double ups or any problems there.
If I replaced one sorceress with a bsb as you recommend it actually blows out my list by 44 points. So I'd actually have to reduce the number of executioners by about 4.

What are the reasons you would take a bsb over another sorceress who can be pumping out death in the magic phase? Less chance of that unit breaking?

Cheers

·
Fanatic
882 Posts
The issue is not having the power dice to feed two wizards and the warlocks. A BSB adds some combat punch and helps keep the army from running.
If anything dropping the warlocks should help then, some people love them. I am not soo keen.
Its up to you what you do with the army, and how you want it to play. I like lots of combat infantry myself backed by coldone knights.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great! Cheers for the feedback! Also what formation would you recommend putting the executoners into? I was thinking the traditional 5w 5d for the rank bonus...

·
Fanatic
882 Posts
Rank bonus will go down fast. I would say go wider to get more attacks.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Hi there i am here to counter lucus (in a good way lucas :)). i play dark elves alot love em drop dark riders plonk all your core in 20 dark shardes with shields keep the warlocks but really thats all you need magic wise at 1000pts slam some soul blick and those cross bow shots are wounding on 3's for the most part and removing any save they may have (accept trees but even they will be brought down with weight of fire). you need some fast cc that will crush i i would suggest cold one knights they will make short work of any wood elves and can fight pretty much most things but against wood elves so will warlocks i would suggest a list like.

Master seadragon cloak heavy armour enchanted shield sword of might rxb
Master cold one sea dragon cloak armour of destiny great weapon bsb

19 dark shards champ standard banner of flame general here 10x2 for shooting 5x4 for combat very effective.

5 cold one knights standard champ bsb here.

5 warlocks.

not sure what points this will leave you with but put that into a unit of excutioners or black guard and you have a list not just capable of smashing not just wood elves but most lists. to be honest i don't take a bsb at 1000pts i just rely on winning combats i also don't normally rock ward saves at 1000pts i find a 1+ and look out sir enough i like to maximise numbers. anything more that 1000pts you will likely need a level 4 if your opponant takes a level 4 at 1000pts you know thats almost a quarter of his army and should be a easy fight get close and kill quickly and don't be afraid to chuck the walocks in i have had them dice there way through all sorts.

hope this helps

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hell yeah that helps this is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. I can easily make this list as I've just received my army in the mail enough to make this list. Also what are your view on shades in larger point games? Are they worth.the cost and would you get dditional Hw or great weapons for them? Or just plain vanilla?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I have to say I'm not a fan of shades if you want an advanced shoot unit take dark riders shields spears and rxb best fast cav in the game by a mile put down a fair amount of shots can charge into other fast chalf units and easily win.

If I was to use shades I would take gw purely to do a cheeky charge against that small elite unit your enemy was slowly moving into position though they would die in return. Sadly like shadow warriors in high elves other units do it better.

My 1000pts (which people curse me for)

Master heavy armour sea dragon cloak cold one great weapon
20 rxb men shields
5 cold ones
3 cold one chariots
5 warlocks

This excels at dark elf strengths hit hard and fast general goes with the cold ones they smash elite units the risk I have with thus force is the amount of stupidity which has caused me problems but if you have a a bsb it's rarely a problem

happy to answer any questions just ask

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great mate! Thanks for the ibput. I've already invested in converting some corsairs into shades, so I'll see if I can use them to some effect. Maybe against other light units or preventing marches. I like the bs5 on the shades.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thinking of making a similar list to yours but replace the chariots with a hydra, and dark riders, what do you think?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts