Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Now that im pretty much finished with my first 40k army (dark angel SM's) im looking to collect a second army, preferably an 'evil' one seeing as i have an imperial one. Have decided on DE.. dark and menacing :yes:

basically my first army was based alot on looks and what i like, rather than what works well etc. to bring the list up to a competetive level i would need to spend about another $200.. so iv decided to just keep that army as it is and use it for casual games..
but NOW, i want THIS army to be as competetive as possilbe, even if i have to use units that i hate the look of etc. i want it to be good at all costs.. :shifty:

basically i dont know alot about DE but have a rough idea of what i *want*..but like i said i want what works, so if i have to totally change the things i already have in my mind, no worries :)
I dont have a codex yet so i dont know what these things im about to list will total up to.. but i want the army to be 1500 pts.

This is what im thinkin..

HQ
Dark Eldar lord.. should i go dracon or archon? and what upgrades?
i want the HQ to be relatively cheap, so i was thinkin of NOT giving him a retinue & raider etc.. but like i said im very open to suggestions.. whatever works best

Troops
3 warrior squads, 2 with raiders. the 1 without a raider will have dark lances.
What is a good number to make DE warrior squads? 16?

Elites
1 wych squad.. i hav no idea how big the squad should be or wat equipment
a raider too?

Fast attack
5 reaver jetbikes..(mainy bcoz im thinking of getting the DE battle-force) again no idea what upgrades etc

Heavy support
NO IDEA. i like all of the options.. would rather avoid scourges with heavy weapons bcoz they cost a fortune lol but if they are the best then ill fork out for them.
i was thinking a talos and a ravager. or 2 ravagers.. but again, whatever works best.

i was thinking of going with the tyranid 'horde' theory. not alot of upgrades but high numbers..
so that i can have as many warriors as possible for survuvability.. and as many dark lances as possible..i want some good tank stopping power..

Anyway thats my general idea. Let me know wat u think and feel free to tell me what would be the best options

Looking forward to gettin involved in DE, hope ill be welcome :)

Thanks

·
Registered
589 Posts
Ooh Marines to dark eldar? I was just about to do the reverse. Anyhow, let's get started.

HQ archon is 25 points more than the dracon, what you lose is a ws,bs,in,attk, w
it's your choice. Now, he should be armed with a shadow field, power weapon, possibly a bike for mobility.

warrior squads are the cheapest on foot, 2 dark lances in a 10 man squad is 100 points. I would actually carry 2 of them. (Warriors are cheap on ebay no worries :p)

warriors on raider should carry assault weapons like: blasters or splinter cannons. You can customize that.

Most people keep warrior squads to the minimum number. They WILL get killed by bolter fire, the dark lances are the only important things really.

Wyches - 7-10 in a squad, possibly lead by a succubi. You may equip her with an agonizer.
give wyches wyche weapons. Raider is a must.

Fast attack - 5 bikes... good. Make 2 carry blasters, and you could make one a succubus if you want, but I wouldn't recomend it. Bikers get combat drugs like wyches anyways.

Bikes give the dark eldar some well needed speed.

Heavy Support

We only get 2 choices, but they are pretty decent choices imo. Talos, high toughness is amazing, can take some firepower, but it gets owned by power weapons in hth. It's still hard to take down.

Ravager - beast. It kills marines with its many ap2 blasts, but it has paper armour. You gotta move and shoot using cover, and it can be extremely effective.

Good luck joining dark eldar, you better be good.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THanks, ill note all that down.

"good luck joining dark eldar, you better be good".. whats that supposed to mean? that you only want good generals using DE to keep the reputation up. or that u need to be really good to win with DE coz they arent good?? coz seriously if DE arent very good then tell me and ill go with something else??

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh and i will put the HQ on a bike. BUT. can you just mount a normal lord on a bike or do you have to buy a special on in a pose that lets him fit on the bike (like with a SM chaplain on bike).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah what Incubi was saying is that Dark Eldar are the single hardest army to play in 40k. They are not for new players, but if you have incredible skills you will win every game. I don't play Dark Eldar, but I know they are highly mobile, yet fragile army, much like their not-so-dark cousins, but to a greater degree.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmmm.. :(

well.. as long as i can get help making a great list. so that i have a good army right from the word go.. i dont care how many times i lose with it while i learning tactics and how to use the army well.. eventually ill figure it out and become good with them.
I can live with losing a dozen games in a row if id win every game after that once im good with them..

·
The Dvl in Pale Moonlight
889 Posts
if you want cheap HQ go with a dracon but not using a raider is dangerous for this fragile HQ choice.
correctly equiped he can take on pretty much any HQ unit in the game, you will want to have on a raider to get him into HTH fast.
The incubi are nice for only slows him down, i rather have a sybarite with agoniser to back him up(incubi cant fleet of foot).

Warriors on raider i would recommend also taking a sybarite with the same setup, given the speed you get you do want to kick some ass in hand to hand. Drawn out fire-fights arent really what a dark eldar player want.
For warriors on foot i recon the number 15-16 works well, equiped with splinter cannons and perhaps blasters as well.
the 10 man "sniper squad" is a popular choice as it gives you two dark lances and rifles at a mere 100pts, dont overdo these as they arent very mobile(heavy weapons).

The wyches should be 8+ strong and i tend to take wych weapons when i take em too, halving WS and removign bonuses for 2 hand weapons are always nice.
as said, a raider is a must for these.

Reavers are a nice addition, and 4-5 of them is usually enough for a squad... perhaps 6 in larger battles like 1500+.

As heavy support goes there are only 2 viable choices(scourges simply are too fragile).

the talos is a wonderful thing to have in a WWP army as its relative lack of speed wont be much of an issue.

Ravager... my personal favourite. cheap, fast and packs extreme firepower. Always take the same weapons on these cause you´d want a big hail of fire and hopefully wipe out any squad you are firing upon.

Kurasuke said:
Yeah what Incubi was saying is that Dark Eldar are the single hardest army to play in 40k. They are not for new players, but if you have incredible skills you will win every game. I don't play Dark Eldar, but I know they are highly mobile, yet fragile army, much like their not-so-dark cousins, but to a greater degree.
That they are but I say they still are for new players, bear with me here.

Now dont expect to win every battle from the start, infact you probably will loose horribly but when i say that with the Dark Eldar you can snatch the most crushing victories in 40k... or rather that is probably how it usually is.
Either a total win or a total loss.

I´ve been playing Dark Eldar now for 7 years and believe me when i say those i play have learned to respect Dark Eldar. Boy was it satisfying to make them eat their words like "DE sucks" etc etc.

a nice thing with Dark Eldar is that they are particulary skilled in taking down marines in all their forms.

It is also a very rewarding army to play and also the fact you are playing the single most difficult army to master in the 40k

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is part of why i chose them. i prefer to have a less common army. as you said its more satisfying to master a difficult army to play and then kick ass with them, rather than go with space marines like everyone else, which will win, but any moron can do well with them..boring..:sleep:
As i said im willing to lose most of my early games with DE as long as i eventually master them and starting winning big & often. As long as i have a good list right from the start this shouldnt be problem, only a matter of time & experience.

im going to get a codex and post a more detailed revision to my list (with your advice taken aboard)

Thanks & hopefully u can help me out with the revised list when i post it.
look out for it ^_^

·
Born from Tears of Angels
1,768 Posts
HQ
If you are planning 1500 - 2000 point army take a tuned up archon with scissor hand, agoniser, drugs and shadow field. Incubi for retinue and 2 warriors with DLs or SCs. Raider is a MUST. This will be your heart, the main thing that will inflict most of your damage so use it well, get it into CC on the 1st turn, and no matter what you are facing. It will go down fast. My suggestion is disembarg in the end of the 1st turn after movement so you wont lose anyone when the raider ggoes down..

ELITES
At least one squad of wuches with succubus. DO NOT give agoniser to succubus, mount on raider If you are facing lots of weak foes like imperial guard or nids take Warpbeasts. For 75 pts you might as well get all 3 squads

Troops
I dont like the idea of getting all raider squads so I would take at least one 20 man warrior squad with sybarite and hvy weapons depending on the opponent
In addition 2 raider squads with sybarite and hvy weapons for mobile support or crossfire
In the end if you have any points left, I would get one or two more raider squads

Heavy
DO NOT get scourges, weak, expensive and COMPLETELY worthless, I know from my loses!!!
Ravager if you like to shoot, talos if you plan webwaying or distracting your opponent from targeing your other units

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i was planning on having a cheap HQ coz its a bad thing in Space marine army to have an expesive one coz u cant just take another tac squad for the points.. but i guess if DE Hq's are what does the majority of the damage then ill go with your suggestion.. i was just hoping i wouldnt have to buy more than 3 raiders.. and i relly like the idea of a archon on a jetbike but if its not what works best then screw it.

i wont be facing 'lots of weak' opponents. the main armies i face in casual games are Chaos iron warriors & tau.. probably 2 of the most powerful shooty armies out there.
And as for tournaments i imagine the majority of opponents would be Space marines.. so i dotn think ill take warp beasts (i hate the look of them too) unless they are highly reccommended by alot of DE players.

i think ill balance my warrior squads. afew of those 10 man 'sniper' squads with 2 DL's. and afew 15+ man sqaud kitted for assult & with a raider..

how do you get the HQ into close combat on the first turn??? even if u moved 12-24" with a raider and disembarked i cant imagine you could assult too on the same move??

·
1,768 Posts
Under usual deployment rules you wont be playing on a large battlefield so you can zap 12" on raider, disembarg up to 2" away and then assault another 6" or wutever distance your unit charges. Either way 20" assault move, with all weapons allowed to fire is usually more then enough, if not you might either consider WWP or equiping the raiders with screaming jets which will allow em to deep strike. This will cover long distance jump and if you land em behind cover, unload and attack, you should take too much punishment. This is a case when you have a large battlefield. If you fight on open ground then...well... just zap 24" and pray that when your raiders go down you wont lose too much, still those cases demand for WWP. Put it on sybarite scourge and land em in cover, open portal and let your force do the rest.

·
1,768 Posts
12" raider zap, 2" disembard, 6" or wutever distance possile assault move. Usually it enough to do the trick, if not zap from cover to cover until you get close enough to disembarg and assult. Remember raiders and ravagers with bikes can zap 24" with no actions. On open field use WWP or deepstrike., I would go with WWP

1 - 12 of 12 Posts