Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Just started playing the game a week or so ago and was wondering if this army list sounded alright. Its mainly for friendly play but who knows, might get into tournies ;)

HQ

Elite
Banshees 10 with exarch (has executioner)
-Wave Serpent with twin-linked bright lance
Fire Dragons 10 with exarch (Has firepike)
-Wave Serpent

Troop
Rangers 9
Guardians 16
-Missle platform
Dire Avenger 6 with exarch (has power sword)

Fast Attack
3 Vypers (2 with star cannons 1 with brightlance)

Heavy
Fire Prism
Wraithlord (with brightlance)
Dark Reapers 5 with exarch (has fast shot)

Thank you for taking the time to review my army list. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

·
señor brushman!
1,434 Posts
Avatar can often times be slow, so he's not always the best choice unless your playing on smaller boards. Instead of Avatar, consider getting a Farseer with Fortune, Pistol and CCW. Maybe give him a Witch Blade. Put him with the Banshees. If you were to do this you would have to take out 1 Banshee to make room for him in the Serpent.

Another option would be take out the Avatar and switch him to a Farseer with Jetbike, Mind War, and Singing Spear. This would help against armour, which your army needs. You would use hit and run - the Singing Spear against vehiclecs and Mind War against troops.

-Wave Serpent with twin-linked bright lance
Fire Dragons 10 with exarch (Has firepike)
-Wave Serpent
Usually 10 Fire Dragons is overkill against any vehicles, so I'd take out 4 and change the Fire Prism to a Falcon. Put the 6 Dragons in the Falcon. If you have enough poitns, give the second BAnshee squad a Wave Serpant with the points that you took out from the Fire Dragons.

Rangers 9
Guardians 16
-Missle platform
Dire Avenger 6 with exarch (has power sword)
Take out the Dire Avengers. They are just overpriced meat for the enemy.

If your gonna take the rangers, make them 3 squads of 3 to maximise the amount of targets they can choose and maximise pinning tests.

Split the Guardian Squad into 2 squads of 8 and give both of them STarcannons. 1 shot weapons are not good on units with low BS.

Fire Prism
Wraithlord (with brightlance)
Dark Reapers 5 with exarch (has fast shot)
Take out the Dark Reaper Exarch.

Change the Fire Prism to a Falcon with Holo Field and Spirit Stones. Use it to transport your Fire Dragons.

By the way, welcome to LO!

~Ben

·
Registered
67 Posts
okay, few pointers.

as a new player, i wouldnt start off at such a high points level. try making a 1000 pts list (still fairly forgiving to make, unlike combat patrol which is tricky) and working from there.

as for the list, its very light on the numbers, which is an easy trap to fall into. try to avoid the shiny stuff as much as possible and grab some troops, they win you the game. in the case of eldar, the shiny stuff is there to do what the troops cant, not to win the battles on their own. spending 800 points on the elites section, while tempting, is not a good thing when you have only invested 450 points in troops. really, in an army, what is going to be more numerous, the elite forces or the troops. 99% of the time, its the troops.

as much as i hate to say it, IAmAngels advice was fairly predicatble, and if you keep posting army lists i can guarantee that they all move towards the same result, which is the most effecient for eldar. personally, i dont like playing the mathamaticaly superior army, i want to play an army with some soul. unfortuately, that requires both experience and perseverance. not good for a new player.

the other problem is that your list has no real focus. take a look at it. look through the rules, then anylyse your thoughts. which part of the game appealed to you the most. from there you can decide if you want a shooty army, an assaulty army, a mobile army, or any combination of the three. normally its best to focus on 2 of them, otherwise you start to get an army that contradicts itself as yours does.

when thats decided, take choices that lean towards that style of play. in a 1000 point list id spend 700-800 pts on choices that suit your style of play. the remaining 200-300 pts igo towards the stuff you like the look of, or the background of, or the stuff that you think is just plain cool, so long as it doesnt realy contradict your list (dark reapers in a mechanised army for example, just would not work)

hope i could help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts