Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I have been furiously making many different lists to see what I want to do with my Vampire Counts army after 1k.

I think this list has come closest to my half formed idea of what a true VC list should be. Also, you might notice that I have finally broken down and included some Necromancers.

Anywho, here is the list in its dark glory!!

Vampire Lord
Powers: Master of the Black Arts, Dark Acolyte, Lord of the Dead
Equipment: Skull Staff, Helm of Commandment
Level 3 Upgrade

Vampire
Powers: Avatar of Death, Walking Death
Equipment: Flayed Hauberk, Black Periapt, Talisman of the Lycni

Necromancer
Extra Spell
Book of Arkhan

Necromancer (Rides in Corpse Cart)
Extra Spell
2x Dispel Scrolls

19 Skeleton Warriors (Vampire goes here)
Full Command

20 Skeleton Warriors
Full Command

10 Crypt Ghouls (Lord and Necromancer go here)
Crypt Ghast

6 Dire Wolves
6 Dire Wolves

Corpse Cart
Unholy Lodestone

20 Grave Guard
Full Command
Great Weapons
Royal Standard of Strigos

Varghulf

--------------------------------------
Total: 2,001 Points
Power Dice: 11 (12 with Periapt) +2 Bound Spells
Dispel Dice: 7 (8 with Periapt) +2 Scrolls

--------------------------------------

Ok, so as you can see I decided to forgo my CC heavy list for a Magic Heavy one. After all, who needs skilled infantry when you can raise more subpar infantry? Quantity over Quality baby!!

My Vampire Lord and Footslogging Necromancer sit in their Ghoul Bunker behind the lines and try to stay out of any fights. The Vampire sits in his unit of skeletons and adds some nice CR from Walking Death and kills. He also has the ability to reach out and hurt someone with his Talisman of the Lycni and Great Weapon. The Necro on the cart just hangs out and does his own thing.

I gave up forbidden lore on my lord because I was only using it to make sure I got Vanhels for the most part. Now the 2 necro's can be sure to have it and I get to generate more PD for IoN's on my lord instead.

As for the rest of the list, I like infantry so decided against cavalry of any form (except wolves of course). Its pretty standard so no explanation needed.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Well, I have been furiously making many different lists to see what I want to do with my Vampire Counts army after 1k.

I think this list has come closest to my half formed idea of what a true VC list should be. Also, you might notice that I have finally broken down and included some Necromancers.

Anywho, here is the list in its dark glory!!

Vampire Lord
Powers: Master of the Black Arts, Dark Acolyte, Lord of the Dead
Equipment: Skull Staff, Helm of Commandment
Level 3 Upgrade
I hate seeing him naked, I would lose helm of commandment in favour of the Damned crown, since the things that will hit the lord will most likely be armour negating things, like a JSoD, cannon ball, DE peg noble,and a lot of other flying things.

Vampire
Powers: Avatar of Death, Walking Death
He's quite good, I'm not sure about the talisman because since he'll
be in the centre of your army, you will be facing the centre of other people's army, meaning not much to take out.

Necromancer
Extra Spell
Book of Arkhan
I like this guy.

Necromancer (Rides in Corpse Cart)
Extra Spell
2x Dispel Scrolls
And this guy.

19 Skeleton Warriors (Vampire goes here)
Full Command
Fine.

20 Skeleton Warriors
Full Command
Fine.

10 Crypt Ghouls (Lord and Necromancer go here)
Crypt Ghast
Fine.I'm guessing the champ is for challenges.

6 Dire Wolves
Fine.

6 Dire Wolves
Fine.

Corpse Cart
Unholy Lodestone
Fine.

20 Grave Guard
Full Command
Great Weapons
My setup for GG.

Varghulf
Fine.
The only thing I'm worried about is that in a magic army, only one character can raise units other than zombies above their origional size. If you swap avatar on your Vampire and give him Lord of the dead, since you have the flayed hauberk, you can swap the Helm on your lord for the crown with no point difference.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well, I'm not to much worried about not having any other casters with Lord of the Dead. My Vampire Lord can cast up to 9! IoN's all on his lonesome, each with +2 to cast. I guess it could be a problem should he die. But "Look Out Sir" and Vanhel's should keep him out of harms way for the most part. If he does get in trouble, he IS still a vampire, which means he can heal and is still good in CC.

For now I think I will keep the Helm on him. I think it adds more to the army overall to be able to give other units a crazy WS when they need it. Also, even with a high leadership, I'd rather not have stupidity on my Caster lord. It would be a different matter if he was geared for combat.

The Combat Vampire is there to deal with chariots mostly, and missile units. That 18 inch charge really gives him a decent range to reach out and hurt something.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok. so this is kind of a necro post but I didn't want to start a whole new thread about this army again.

I have been slowly building my army and I have started to wonder about some small changes to this list. First of all I think I might want some more protection on my lord. I was thinking about taking the hauberk off my vampire and replace the Skull Staff on my lord with the Hauberk and the Crown.

Secondly I kind of want to to get some magic banners on my skeleton units. What do you think I should do to fit the Warbanner and the Banner of Endless Nightmare on my skeleton units?

·
Nox
1,705 Posts
ok. so this is kind of a necro post but I didn't want to start a whole new thread about this army again.

I have been slowly building my army and I have started to wonder about some small changes to this list. First of all I think I might want some more protection on my lord. I was thinking about taking the hauberk off my vampire and replace the Skull Staff on my lord with the Hauberk and the Crown.

Secondly I kind of want to to get some magic banners on my skeleton units. What do you think I should do to fit the Warbanner and the Banner of Endless Nightmare on my skeleton units?
Well, more protection is always good. You could drop a necromancer, take a vampire, and give the vampire the helmet, and then give the Lord the Crown+Skull Staff.

However, you are probably best with the combo you said. :)

As to Magic Banners: The Hellfire Standard (think thats the name, the Magic+Flaming attacks), and the War Banner.

~{Archy}~

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I was kind of thinking that with my Grave Guards magic weapons, the hellfire banner wouldn't be as necessary. Between the Banner of Endless Nightmare and the Warbanner, both of my skeleton units would hopefully start out any combat with a +6 combat res.

The real issue is finding the points for said banners.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, did a redo of my list with some changes. Lemme know what you think.

Vampire Lord
Powers: Master of the Black Arts, Forbidden Lore, Lord of the Dead
Equipment: Crown of the Damned, Helm of Commandment
Level 3 Upgrade

Vampire
Powers: Avatar of Death, Lord of the Dead

Necromancer
Extra Spell
Book of Arkhan

Necromancer
Extra Spell
2x Dispel Scroll

19 Skeleton Warriors (Nike Vampire goes here)
Full Command
Warbanner

20 Skeleton Warriors
Full Command
Banner of Endless Nightmare

10 Crypt Ghouls (Lord and Arkhan Necromancer go here, Ghast is for Challenges)
Crypt Ghast

5 Dire Wolves
5 Dire Wolves

Corpse Cart (Scroll Caddy Necromancer goes here)
Unholy Lodestone

20 Grave Guard
Full Command
Great Weapons

Varghulf

---------------------------------------------
Total: 2,000 points
Power Dice: 10 + 2 Bound Spells
Dispel Dice: 7 + 2 Scrolls

---------------------------------------------

Well some slight changes, replaced the Skull Staff with the Crown of the Damned. I decided that some protection was worth the slight risk of stupidity on my high leadership Lord. I also replaced Walking Death with Lord of the Dead on the Nike Vampire, now he can help keep the Skeleton units large if need be.

Got the Warbanner and the Banner of Endless Nightmare on my Skeleton Units. Now between them and the Grave Guard I should have a solid phalanx.

One question remains, Forbidden Lore or Dark Acolyte on my lord? Lore gives me all the spells (handy for Vanhel's and Curse of Years). But my lord is going to be concentrating on summoning so would the extra dice from Dark Acolyte be more useful?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.