Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've had a fair amount of time to familiarize ourselves with the new 'Dex, and hopefully even get a few games in in the meantime. Unfortunately for me, not the latter -- our local 'Nid player, who's models I'd be using, has been on vacation for the month of January.

What units stuck out when you first opened your crisp new Codex? What do you absolutely like, and what has been effective for you so far? Not asking for list compositions, but units that have proven themselves -- or you think they will -- worthy of being in every list. Your absolute favorites, whether they're revolutionary or just have survived the update.

For me, there's three units I'm rather fixated on: Tervigons, Harpies, and DS Carnifexes.

Tervigons, as is slowly being realized, are not uber effective for spam. They're slow and lack any significant specialization. Without support of other units, they'll simply fall short of desirable, as mech + melta/plasma spam will see their doom. However, a pair of them fits beautifully with a list filled with Troops Choices, supported by a fair number of MCs. I wouldn't consider taking more than 1 as an HQ, and leave 1-2 as Troops. In such a circumstance, you are guaranteed at least 8 scoring units, and can reliably assume the presence of at least a 9'th or 10th. When you take into consideration that each will spawn an average of 23 Termagaunts, you can effectively 'count' your army list at +230 points more than your opponent's (or, effectively consider each Tervigon as costing only 45 points.) Toss in their free psychic power, Dominion, and this unit is a steal.. at least if used responsibly. The +6" synaptic range covers about twice the area of your standard 12" range, which could make a huge difference, especially late game when your bugs are potentially spread thin to grab last minute objectives / KP.

At first glance of the codex, I immediately discounted the Harpy as rubbish. Costing about the same as other, tougher MCs, I'd considered those other's a superior option. However upon second glance, I realized that they present an overwhelming amount of cheap dakka, and with Ld 10, they can reliably operate outside of synapse when needed. They come stock with a Stranglethorn Cannon and Stinger Salvo, the Stranglethorn which can cheaply be upgraded to a TLHVC! and the Stinger Salvo can be replaced by Cluster Spines.. Any combination of bioweapons can be utilized to put some serious, fast moving, in-your-face pressure on the opponent.

Finally, my last favorite is a costly 250 point Dakkafex. Two TL Devourers (with Brainleech Worms, Str 6 Assault 6!!) and Frag Spines (so cheap it should be a must-have for every Fex) inside a Mysetic Spore with a Barbed Strangler. Okay, the Spore's weapon isn't needed, but I think it adds to the "ohsh**f***, There's a fex in my face!" effect rather nicely, and allows it to be threatening even in excess of 6". Since Instinctive Behavior is tested at the beginning of the movement phase, and the 'Fex isn't on the board yet, he's always guaranteed a round of shooting the turn he lands, even if dropped outside of synapse range.

·
815 Posts
Trygon, hive guard and spore pods.

The trygon adds some much needed distraction. Sure it may die in a turn or two but that's also a turn or two that your opponent is utterly focused on it. Add in that I have the forgeworld trygon and it really draws attention. Long enough that my DSing fexes are disregarded for awhile.

Hive guard and their "I can shoot you from behind a wall and you can't see me" ability is pretty amazing. If you're playing on a board with some buildings then it's pretty easy to tuck these guys behind a wall and actually have people forget they are there.

Drop pods. What's not to like? Now I can actually get my fex across the board before it dies!

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Hive guard, Deathleaper, Doom of Malanthi and spore mines for me.

Hive guard because theyre awsome at transport popping, and as TamCoan says can be hidden and forgotten about.

Deathleaper and Doom for obvioius reasons, theyre both great characters and have something a bit different from the usual special character fluff you see in likes of marines.

Spore mines are a surprise for me but the increase in blast size, aswell as Strenght and a AP has worked very nicely, along with the general cheapness.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Trygons are amazing. I run two in every higher points list atm. Tervigons are by far the best unit in the codex and i will soon have 2 in every competive list i make. My troop of choice is warriors and large sqauds of plain ole gaunts to hold objectives. If im playing warriors though they go in a pod or they outflank with a alpha (/w lash whip and bonesword) and tear apart anything from tanks to huge squads of infantry. A Tyrant /w hive commander is always in my lists since deepstriking and outflanking is what i do atm. Biovores are actually a playable anti horde unit now. Pyrovores i think might be alright too but they must go in a pod to be effective. Im very torn on fexes. The only real way to play them now is with 2 TL devourers and pod. Genestealers are also a good choice now that they are cheaper in points to play and can outflank or infiltrate. The other units that i would like to test are harpies, gargoyles, raveners, and the doom of malantai. Other than that, all the other units are complete terds as far as i can tell.

Also i forgot to include that Zoanthropes in pods are amazing tank killers. Hive gaurd are also very decent at killing lightly armoured vehicles.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Paryxosm, or whatever the spell is called. The FNP spell, Tervigon, spore clusters and Hive guard. I must say BossGorestompa that i like my 265 point tyrannofex with 2, S10 AP4 48" shots and a +2 wounding flamer ( for emergencies ) and a cluster mine for 265 points, more than your dakkafex, because it has more wounds and better armour and it can hurt tanks from a safe distance :D.
thank
antique_nova

·
Registered
64 Posts
The good:

Ymgarl Stealers are performing well for me with there assault off the DS (well I guess its not technically a DS, but close enough)...

Hive Guard are going to be a must have in every list from now on. They go virtually unopposed because of their high T and wounds, and do a great job at transport/light vehicle hunting.

Fex's in spores... what more can be said but "Nom nom nom nom nom"

9 man Warrior squads ... I'm trying to build a list with two 9 mans at 1850 I love them so much... They do suffer from firing lines tho (TAU) ....

Tervigon, a little over rated on the forums but a good unit... Mostly for FNP...

Zoans in pods...

The bad:

Trygons shoot one volley and die the next round... hole is useless...

Tyrannofex would be cool... if he had a pod option...

Deathleaper is bleh...

Everything else I haven't played with yet, or perform about average/same.

I'm really torn on my lictors now, but for at the time being still have them in my list... with a +5 sv they tend to get shot to hell before they can get in and make the assault, but i'm holding out hope that its just bad tactics and not a bad unit.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't given them entirely too much thought yet, but the only real use I can think of for Lictors so far is to place them close to, but relatively obscured from, the opponent. They're not entirely amazing, but they can be scary, and might force your opponent to go out of their way to deal with them.

Regarding the Tyrannofex.. this beastie is an uber fire magnet. 2+ saves will see most small-medium arms bounce off harmlessly, but I guarantee he'll attract every lascannon in the opponent's list. Which is great! I'm a little bit miffed that he's only Bs 3, costing the same as / more than a Land Raider. But I'm sure he's still dead-killy. Compared to the Carnifex, though, he lacks one thing.. The Tyrannofex can't be thrown in your opponent's face via Mysetic Spore, and therefore does not contribute to the "ohsh**f***" factor used to overwhelm an opponent with immediate threats. True, the TFex can threaten at long range, but trust me.. a few MCs in your face is much more intimidating.

·
I hate Ultramarines
1,297 Posts
3 Units of 30 Gaunts all with x3 Stranglewebs and Feel No Pain is great fun, especially when they use cover all the way across the table

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
not for players who know what your rough plan and the fexes potential and what you bought it for :p

·
I am a free man!
4,941 Posts
Regarding the Tyrannofex.. this beastie is an uber fire magnet. 2+ saves will see most small-medium arms bounce off harmlessly, but I guarantee he'll attract every lascannon in the opponent's list. Which is great! I'm a little bit miffed that he's only Bs 3, costing the same as / more than a Land Raider. But I'm sure he's still dead-killy. Compared to the Carnifex, though, he lacks one thing.. The Tyrannofex can't be thrown in your opponent's face via Mysetic Spore, and therefore does not contribute to the "ohsh**f***" factor used to overwhelm an opponent with immediate threats. True, the TFex can threaten at long range, but trust me.. a few MCs in your face is much more intimidating.
Except that you wouldn't actually want to put a tyrannofex into an opponent's face. That's what hive tyrants, carnifexes, and trygons are for. ;) Tyrannofexes will fold to any halfway-competent assault.

You've identified all the tyrannofex's many strengths. He's definitely worth taking ... especially in pairs. He provides the only serious long-range shooting in the entire army, so he should be as expensive as he is. Just keep these guys in the backfield and keep dropping everything else into your opponent's face. And be grateful for every shot that comes downrange into the t-fexes. That's wasted enemy ammo, for sure!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Except that you wouldn't actually want to put a tyrannofex into an opponent's face. That's what hive tyrants, carnifexes, and trygons are for. ;) Tyrannofexes will fold to any halfway-competent assault.

You've identified all the tyrannofex's many strengths. He's definitely worth taking ... especially in pairs. He provides the only serious long-range shooting in the entire army, so he should be as expensive as he is. Just keep these guys in the backfield and keep dropping everything else into your opponent's face. And be grateful for every shot that comes downrange into the t-fexes. That's wasted enemy ammo, for sure!
2 shots at bs 3 is hardly worth 250+ pts...

·
Registered
307 Posts
i believe against certain armies the mawloc is also a good choice, heel ive just finished building mine. Its more of a physocolical weapon though, my mawloc can pop up into your unit, so ficuse fire on that, but then my carnies can DS in a kill your vehicles and commanders. what do???

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's what I said ;) Albeit, perhaps not so clearly.. I was in a bit of a rush.

Except that the carnies will stand still for a full turn when the arrive.
That's why you use the Mysetic Spore as cover, and unload dual Devourers into whatever's in from of him ^-^

3 Units of 30 Gaunts all with x3 Stranglewebs and Feel No Pain is great fun, especially when they use cover all the way across the table
Why? Why why why? I cannot begin to comprehend what GW was thinking when they invented the Strangleweb. It's a Str 2 Flamer. A very expensive one at that. Now, if I earned back 5 points for downgrading my (comparatively amazing) fleshborer I'd take one every time.. but as it stands, it's rolling '6's to wound MEQ, and '5's to wound everything else (consider, most models have the same unmodified S and T scores, and those who don't are usually too big to give a damn about Str 2 anyways). It has no AP value, so ignoring cover is only circumstantially beneficial. And pinning.. well that's the only thing cool about the whole thing. If it actually inflicts a casualty, that is.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Why? Why why why? I cannot begin to comprehend what GW was thinking when they invented the Strangleweb. It's a Str 2 Flamer. A very expensive one at that. Now, if I earned back 5 points for downgrading my (comparatively amazing) fleshborer I'd take one every time.. but as it stands, it's rolling '6's to wound MEQ, and '5's to wound everything else (consider, most models have the same unmodified S and T scores, and those who don't are usually too big to give a damn about Str 2 anyways). It has no AP value, so ignoring cover is only circumstantially beneficial. And pinning.. well that's the only thing cool about the whole thing. If it actually inflicts a casualty, that is.
i agree for the most part except for one thing it may be st 2 but you still get 3 of them that has the potential to get enough hits in that the enemy is bound to fail one of them. but ya for the most part it is too expensive for what it is.

moving on to my favs i think those include the swarmlord, deepstriking carnifex's, and hormagaunts

the swarmlord i think is just awsome because of all the special abilities it has although due to high expense its only usable with high point lists
deep striking carnifex's as was stated before "need i say more"
hormagaunts can now take on a wraith lord in close combat with toxic sacs and being 8 points a model means i can finally use them in lower point games.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I currently run 2 tyrannofexes in my army. Both rupturecannon/dessicator larvae/regen. I keep them near tervigons and usually have them boosted up w/FNP so they can shrug off massed ammounts of small arms fire. They do the job, popping vehicles.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I currently run 2 tyrannofexes in my army. Both rupturecannon/dessicator larvae/regen. I keep them near tervigons and usually have them boosted up w/FNP so they can shrug off massed ammounts of small arms fire. They do the job, popping vehicles.
First off... play what you want... i'm just here commenting to further the tactical dominance of the hive mind :beer:

So you spend 600+ points on AT?... That certainly isn't an all comers list... Maybe your group/club play alot of mech lists but even then why would you need s10...

They fufill one role and one role only ... popping 14av from far off... but this can be done even cheaper with zoans in a pod with even better results from the lance rule...

On top of that you will be at a massive disadvantage if anyone has DSing renders.... hell even snipers...

600 points!! zoans in a pod is 220!!... Your hive fleet is doooooomed without better bio-matter mangement :)

·
I am a free man!
4,941 Posts
Tyrannofexes are the new "baitfexes" of the Tyranid codex. Yes, they're expensive, but each one is firing S10 shots downfield. I play Tau, and let me tell you, nobody likes facing S10 with vehicles. Good enemies will be at least partially mechanized. Good luck getting your Rhinos, Razorabacks, Vendettas, etc. around the table while you're firing 4 S10 shots a turn down there.

So enemies are going to be tempted to try shooting them down. But NOBODY has a reliable ability to shoot down 6 T6 wounds with a 2+ save. It will require entire army's and entire game turns to kill just one t-fex from downtown. Meanwhile, you have the entire rest of your army to play with, free of charge! They get a free pass because your opponent is obsessed with stopping the continual rain of S10 on his head.

And if they're wise enough to know not to shoot at your t-fexes, you just get to enjoy them. Maybe your opponent is smart enough to know that assault is the only way to kill the beastie. Of course, they'll have to get through the rest of your army to do it. No easy task. ;)

Like everything with the new 'nids, it's all about giving your opponent damned-if-they-do, damned-if-they-don't choices. Shoot at the t-fexes and possibly kill them (not likely) ... and suck up the rest of the 'nids scurrying their way. Or shoot at the rest of the 'nid army ... and suck up the S10 from the t-fexes. Not a pleasant choice no matter which one they choose.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
BooGs i disagree with you competely on the tyranofex. tyranofexes are built for anti-tank at long range yes, but they are also built to last. They don't ahve to be soley used for anti-tank, but that is what most people pick them for, who actually take them. Zoanthropes are near usel;ess against a space wolf army with atleast 2 rune priests and most av-14 that your going to meet are land raiders and monoliths. you may also happily trade a kill point or two for your suicide unit, but i don't like doing that without sufficient backup, which i don't think is possible in my mind for it to work at 1500 points, but higher up say 1750, it would work.
thanks
antique_nova

·
Registered
64 Posts
BooGs i disagree with you competely on the tyranofex. tyranofexes are built for anti-tank at long range yes, but they are also built to last. They don't ahve to be soley used for anti-tank, but that is what most people pick them for, who actually take them. Zoanthropes are near usel;ess against a space wolf army with atleast 2 rune priests and most av-14 that your going to meet are land raiders and monoliths. you may also happily trade a kill point or two for your suicide unit, but i don't like doing that without sufficient backup, which i don't think is possible in my mind for it to work at 1500 points, but higher up say 1750, it would work.
thanks
antique_nova
I don't doubt that they can take some punishment and absorb some hits, but in my mind... they are way to pricey for what they do. I find it much easier to load up pods and crash carnifexs into the front line and peel open tanks, rather than shoot them.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts