Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gallery Votes: 0

Filter Thread
Direct Link This Post

Imperial Fists
Gladius Strike Force

Here is a list I've written for an army I'm working on. I've been an occasional 40k player for the best part of 20 years. I've always collected models and enjoy building and painting them. Every now and then I would build an army and have a game. I am wanting to get into more regular gaming and at least stand a chance to hold my own.
I have recently been inspired (by various books I've read) to build an imperial fists army. I like their background and they look awesome.

I have written this list as a Gladius Strike force. I like the idea of the Demi company. I really wanted 3 full tac squads but have had to reduce one of them to fit other things in. I love the idea of sternguard and defo want them in there. I think the centurions will work well with my chapter tactics and decided I prefer lascannons to grav.

The idea is the cents and las tac squad can sit back on home objective. The HB F tac squad can move out with small sternguard unit to capture/shift enemies off other objectives and defend. The large sternguard are to come down and kill a unit while termies role up to deal out fist. Captain prob go in with termies.

I could really use some constructive feedback from more experienced players. I would like to keep the general concept of the force with the units mentioned still in but would love to hear people's take on it.
I realise I could drop the razorback for a pod for alpha strike fun and even put the melta tac squad in one too. I guess I was just trying to use the models I have got. I have no pods yet nor the centurions, termies or LR. I have all the other models.

Let me know what you think. And thank you in advance for your help.

Core
'Battle Demi Company * (925pts)

Captain
Artificer Armour
Power Sword, Storm Bolter

Centurion Devastator Squad
3 X Missile Launcher, Twin-linked Lascannon

Land Speeder
Assault Cannon, Multi-melta

10 man Tactical Squad
Flamer, Heavy Bolter
Space Marine Sergeant
Bolt Pistol, chainsword
Rhino

10 man Tactical Squad
Meltagun, Multi-melta,
Space Marine Sergeant
Bolt Pistol, Chainsword Melta Bombs
Rhino

5 man Tactical Squad
Lascannon,
Space Marine Sergeant
Bolt Pistol, chainsword

Auxiliary (

'1st Company Task Force (925pts)

5 man Sternguard Veteran Squad
1x Combi-melta
Veteran Sergeant
Bolt Pistol, Boltgun
Razorback
Twin-linked Heavy Bolter

10 man Sternguard Veteran Squad
2 X Combi-Flamer
1 X Heavy Flamer
Veteran sergeant
Boltgun
Drop Pod
Storm Bolter

Terminator Assault Squad
3x Thunderhammer and Storm Shield, 1 X lightning claws
Terminator Sergeant
Two Lightning Claws

Land Raider Crusader
Extra Armour

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Most Sternguard builds will go minimum sized unit in a Drop Pod with combi-weapons (suicide unit, basically), or will go larger size in a Rhino with mostly bolters. The reason being is that Rhino have more fire points so more models can shoot from within, and then when they disembark can take advantage of weight of fire and range. Drop Pod Sternguard, however, tend to be very exposed when they land, and as they aren't any more durable than a Tactical Squad, die very easily. Hence why people take the minimum sized units: it's far less points to throw away and you can take out even a Land Raider, whereas ten Sternguard with just bolters won't really be making their points back before going splat. Also, 5 Sternguard in a Razorback aren't very effective: only one can shoot, and even when they disembark that's a maximum of 10 shots, 8 of which will hit, whereas 10 Sternguard can put out a max of 20 shots. THAT'S gonna kill something.

I would swap the Sternguard transports so that the 5 man is in the Pod and they all have combi-weapons, and have the 10 Man run with just bolters in just a Rhino.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I don't understand the Captain loadout. Do you want minimal points spent on him?

I'd say that's a bad move. I think a potential loadout can be making him a Chapter Master, taking Artificer Armor, a single melee weapon, and then the Primarchs Wrath. With Split Fire, you can make excellent use of the Orbital Bombardment and a weapon designed solely to kill infantry.

·
Registered
47 Posts
only question i'd ask myself here is: "why take the GSF at all?" are there better options in other formations/CAD? you're not really getting much benefit out of it (a doctrine for your tacts), and in exchange you MUST bring 3 tac squads, which usually are an afterthought. The 1st Co. benefits are not *that* great.. especially if you're not playing Ldr shennanigans with librarians, etc. You could easily fit this list into a CAD and buy yourself some more room to manuever with more options. if you like the Land Raider/AssTermies for fluff, you will have fun; otherwise, you just dropped like 600+ points into a unit that can either a) get kited around the table because they are so slow b) get obliterated by one STR D template/blast/etc.. or stomps.. or whatever. It's just really hard for them to earn their points back in the span of a game. In this list, you'll need to give that Captain a storm shield of some sort and put him with the Cents to tank, or they'll get eaten alive by AP2 weapons (read: grav). I have a similar situation to yourself.. was in and out of the game for a long while, but kept tabs on everything... the hardest part to accept is that GW has rendered some of these options (termies, land raiders) completely obsolete in anything but the friendliest of games... and there is so much cool fluff behind them. Here's to hoping the next edition makes them playable again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts