Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some time this year I plan to create another guard army. I am getting kinda sick of the cadian models so it will be between the Catachans and the new Vostaryans*sp? coming out this summer. What would you guys pick?
Catachans
Pros: Cool vietnam like models, cheaper, can use the sweet deathworld vet. armylist, losta cool conversion possibilites
Cons:Everyone looks like Rambo, they suck if they aren't in the jungle, can't take tanks

Vostaryans*sp?:They look really, really cool, but thats all i know
Cons:Metal!! expensive to field a big army

·
Registered
289 Posts
hmm... if you have the money/patience, or have no jungle terrain, i'd go with the Vostaryans, or go with the Steel Legion models which are still available.

Otherwise, i'd go for Catachans. They don't even have to be jungle fighters, check codex Cityfight, there's a catachan carrying a modified heavy bolter that looks sorta like Mr. T without all the jewelry

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yeah, you can use whatever doctrines you like with the catachan models... I love my catachans!

The best part about playing catachans in a tournament is that your opponent won't know if he should be expecting your tactics to be from codex: catachans, doctrine-catachans, or some other set of doctrines.

The other cool part about catachans is the ability to take rough rider xeno-riders and actually have them look like they belong with the rest of your army.

I really need to get some pictures of my catachans up :-\

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
There's always the option of mixing catachan and cadian bitz to make a rag-tag bunch. A 50/50 mix is good, but I prefer a 25/75 mix with more cadian parts for a more SF look. If you want more barbaric troops (Skull-takers for example) you can mix in marauder bitz (just file off the chaos icons), or other fantasy plastics.

·
Registered
44 Posts
First, Catachans don't suck if they are out of the jungle. Just get a few sentinels with HK, missles, MS or LC in the squads, an mabey and infiltating veteran squad and you can take out any armour. Second being a Catachan player myself, i can sufficently say that they are MUCH betther than your average gaurdsmen and are fluffy and fun to play with. They have decent CC where most gaurdsmen lack and can a few special rules that allow them to be a very effective fighting force.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts