Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, this is my second post on here as a new Guard Player. I play casual games with my 3 other friends. It’s usually myself and my friend with Space Marines vs Tyranids and Space Wolves. I was wondering if I could have some help on my army. I’ve posted a list before but that tactic in receiving help usually fails, so I am just going to post the models I already have and what I may be considering buying. We play as close as we can to a 1,000 point (in the future we might go up to 1500) list for each army. By the way, if anyone has any tips on beating the space wolves Rune Priest, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

My Models:

2 Company Command Squads
5, 10-man infantry squads
4 Heavy weapons teams (one already built with lascannon)
2 Sentinels

I am interested in making my army better and I have considered buying a Chimera and or a Russ, Regimental Advisors, Storm Troopers, Marbo, and/or Creed. I’d rather not buy multiple Valkyries like people have suggested. If anyone has more suggestions, that would be great. Thanks again.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have found myself in a similiar position to yourself and the best thing i would suggest it make lists... loads and loads of army lists to get an idea how many units you can squeeze in and how much they are going to cost. This is important for 2 reasons.

1. You can decide what feel you want in your army... mass infantry, mechanised, tank heavy, so you dont change your mind later and waste money etc etc

2. You can make your units work effectively together from the start instead of having realised you would rather take things another direction or your missing a certain type of unit or type of fire to deal with a threat.

Whilst there is nothing wrong with buying the odd random unit when it takes your fancy you want a list that works well together. This doesnt have to meen a competitive list designed to win all the time but one where the unit have good synergy together. For this you need to consider, how your running your infantry squads, combined, individual, and what weapons your equipping, plasma, flamers etc.

If your running those infantry squads as veterans for examples, kitted out with plasma + melta your probably going to want chimeras for example to make them mobile and buying a support unit to take out heavy infantry wont be top priority as your vets would have it covered. Alternatively if your running them all as normal guardsmen with grenade launchers / flamers you going to need to look at reinforcing you lines with something with a bit more punch.

The possibilities are a little to endless unless you provide some more info on what style / how your currently running your list.

Apologies if this isnt a great response, i recon you just need to pick a general direction with your list first then people can give some more constructive advise.

In general however, you can go wrong with a few chimeras but try not to run 1or2 of them as you will find they get popped awful quick, try to get atleast 3 in my opinion. (more if posssible or another tank with similiar profile).

Im not a fan other the vendetta / valkryre either so props for looking for an alternative route.

Under 1000 points a leman russ is always usful as the enemy wont liekly have much to deal withAV14 at this level and it can be a real threat, but also a point sink.

I would also not worry to much about charactors under 1000pts as in the IG army they are hugly expensive for what they do. (Except Marbo, Marbo is awesome). Stormtroopers can be pricey so i wouldnt get anymore than 1 unit or 2x 5 man units who deepstrike with melta/plasma to pop enemy threats. But they are an expensive suicide unit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is the list that I ran the last time we played. And no your reply was perfect! Thank you

Company Command Squad (CCS) – 167 pts
- Company Commander
o Power Weapon
o Bolt Pistol
- Veteran
o Medi-Pack
- 2x Veterans
o Las Cannon Team
- Veteran
o Grenade Launcher
- 2x Bodyguards
- All upgraded to Carapace Armour

Platoon Command Squad 1 (PCS-1) – 80 pts
- Platoon Commander
o Plasma Pistol
o Power Weapon
- Guardsman 1
o Plasma Gun
- Guardsman 2
o Vox Caster
- Guardsmen 3 & 4
o Grenade Launcher

Infantry Squad 1 (IS-1) – 72 pts
- Sergeant
o Bolt Pistol
o Power Weapon
- Guardsman 1
o Vox Caster
- Guardsman 2
o Grenade Launcher

Infantry Squad 2 (IS-2) – 72 pts
- Sergeant
o Bolt Pistol
o Power Weapon
- Guardsman 1
o Vox Caster
- Guardsman 2
o Grenade Launcher

Infantry Squad 3 (IS-3) - 72 pts
- Sergeant
o Bolt Pistol
o Power Weapon
- Guardsman 1
o Vox Caster
- Guardsman 2
o Grenade Launcher

Veteran Squad 1 (VS-1) – 160 pts
- Veteran Sergeant
o Power Weapon
o Plasma Pistol
- Guardsman 1
o Vox Caster
- Guardsman 2
o Grenade Launcher
- Guardsmen 3 & 4
o Plasma Guns
- Entire Squad
o Grenadiers Doctrine

Veteran Squad 2 (VS-2) – 170 pts
- Veteran Sergeant
o Power Weapon
o Plasma Pistol
- Guardsman 1
o Vox Caster
- Guardsmen 2, 3 & 4
o Plasma Guns
- Entire Squad
o Grenadiers Doctrine

Fast Attack Squadron (FAS) – 130 pts
- Scout Sentinel x2
o Auto Cannon
o Hunter-Killer Missle
o Smoke Launchers
o Camo Netting

Total: 923 Points

·
Registered
30 Posts
OK lets take it from the top

Company Command Squad (CCS) – 167 pts

- Company Commander
o Power Weapon - Loose it, by the time you get to use it in close combat he will be dead.
o Bolt Pistol I like to give mine a boltgun instead for the range, not a bad way to spend 2 points if left over but not great
- Veteran
o Medi-Pack - First thing to go in my opinion it gives you a 5+ fnp save on low toughness models, its ok but not worth the point in my opinion
- 2x Veterans
o Las Cannon Team - This defines this squad. they are going to sit back and snipe enemy targets so build the squad around this.

- Veteran
o Grenade Launcher - I love grenade launchers but alot of player hate them. I would have 2x grenade launchers on your remaining vets for 2 reasons. 1. They are low threat so wont attract as much fire as say plasma, 2. They are cheap so if they do die you dont waste points.

- 2x Bodyguards - Wost advisers possible in my opinion - juat a few extra wounds for your commander, not worth the points for sure.
- All upgraded to Carapace Armou- 4+ Save wont help you too much for the points when you consider that given a smallest bit of cover you can get a 5+ or 4+ cover save. Id be tempted to spend 20pts more drop this and get an ADL to hide behind. maybe even a quad gun that your commander can fire at his BS.

Platoon Command Squad 1 (PCS-1) – 80 pts
- Platoon Commander
o Plasma Pistol - for the points, i really wouldn't bother if hes close enough to use it he is getting charged next turn so thats 1 shot, plus if it over heats you loose your commander and
o Power Weapon - Point sink in close combat he wont last long enough to use it sadly.
- Guardsman 1
o Plasma Gun - Save these for veteran squads or a second CCS - BS3 makes this a waste of points
- Guardsman 2
o Vox Caster - Yes if your keeping your squads seperate, if your making them a blob, loose your vox network and get a commisar.
- Guardsmen 3 & 4
o Grenade Launcher -I like to go with either 4x Grenade Launchers / 4x Flamers. Flamers fit best to protect from charges, but the GL is my favourite. Most disagree and say 4x Flamers. Keeping with your vox network id go with 3x Flamers + Vox

Infantry Squad 1 (IS-1) – 72 pts
- Sergeant
o Bolt Pistol - Loose it, BS3 +1 shots, mayswel be a laspistol,
o Power Weapon If you keep these as individual units your sgt will get challenged and die before he uses it. A waste of points UNLESS! You blob your infantry into 1 squad and have 1 naked sgt to accept the challenge then you other sgts will have chance to strike.
- Guardsman 1
o Vox Caster - If blobbing to use the powers fists loose this and get a commisar to lead to whole squad. But otherwise keep it :)
- Guardsman 2
o Grenade Launcher - People will say they dont do much but its my favourite upgrade in normal squads
- Auto Cannon HW team - with your vets listed below being your offensive troops id turn your squads into a more static line and as a heavy weapon. Autocannon is generally the best.

Infantry Squad 2 (IS-2) – 72 pts AS ABOVE

Infantry Squad 3 (IS-3) - 72 pts
AS ABOVE

- Veteran Sergeant
o Power Weapon - A point sink again, in close combat youll be dead before you can use it
o Plasma Pistol - These make more sense here than your infantry squads. Not sure if id take them but its individual choice.
- Guardsman 1
o Vox Caster - These are ok here, 2 things to consider, 1. will they be in order range, 2. will the order be useful to them. (FRFSRF aint great on these guys as they have so few lasguns, they work best with the bring it down order from a CCS but yours is stationary, keep it for now and ill go over another option with you later)
- Guardsman 2
o Grenade Launcher - Give them all plasma! Make them a threat!
- Guardsmen 3 & 4
o Plasma Guns Perfect place for these, take 3!
- Entire Squad
o Grenadiers Doctrine - Drop it, and get them a chimera for mobility. You get the defence of the tank, better mobility and more firepower.

Veteran Squad 2 (VS-2) – 170 pts AS ABOVE BUT GIVE THEM ALL MELTAS FOR TANK BUSTING

Fast Attack Squadron (FAS) – 130 pts - I love my sentinels, with my changes you have 2 chimera. use them to provide cover for them or to outflank and pop some shots inthe backs of people.
- Scout Sentinel x2
o Auto Cannon Yes, these or multilasers are awesome. i prefer multilaser here but autocannon is as good if nto better vs tougher armour. But they are fragile, keep them cheap or see the enmy wipe points of the board as very little effort.
o Hunter-Killer Missle - I loved thei dea of these at first, but 2 shots is 2/3 of another sentinel. loose them, there are better places to spend points
o Smoke Launchers - Good if you have a spare point but wont help much.
o Camo Netting - Loose them

REVISED

Company Command Squad (CCS) – 180pts (13 points more but you bring an ADL for cover save which is as good as carapace, and extra grenade launcher, and 4 twinlinked autocannon shots at BS4 against both flyers and ground units)
- Company Commander
- 2x Veterans
o Las Cannon Team

- 2x Veteran
o Grenade Launcher (or a Vox Caster, CCS orders are the best in the army, if you have a vox everywhere else put one here!)
- Aegis Defence Line, Quad Gun

Platoon Command Squad 1 (PCS-1) – 52 pts
- Platoon Commander (Boltgun if you have some spare points, it works well with grenade launchers and allows you to snipe with a little more punch)
o Vox Caster - Yes if your keeping your squads separate, if your making them a blob, loose your vox network and get a commisar.
- Guardsmen 2, 3 & 4
o Grenade Launcher -I like to go with either 4x Grenade Launchers / 4x Flamers. Flamers fit best to protect from charges, but the GL is my favourite. Most disagree and say 4x Flamers. Keeping with your vox network id go with 3x Flamers + Vox

Infantry Squad 1 (IS-1, 2, 3) – 70pts (x3) (210 pts)
- Sergeant
- Guardsman 1
o Vox Caster - If blobbing to use the powers fists loose this and get a commisar to lead to whole squad. But otherwise keep it :)
- Guardsman 2
o Grenade Launcher - People will say they dont do much but its my favourite upgrade in normal squads
- Auto Cannon HW team - with your vets listed below being your offensive troops id turn your squads into a more static line and as a heavy weapon. Auto cannon is generally the best.

Veteran Squad 1 (VS-1) – 175 pts (15 more points but you gain a chimera. If looking to trim points the sgts plasma pistol should go first in my opinion)
- Veteran Sergeant
o Plasma Pistol - These make more sense here than your infantry squads. Not sure if id take them but its individual choice.
- Guardsman 1
o Vox Caster - These are ok here, 2 things to consider, 1. will they be in order range, 2. will the order be useful to them. (FRFSRF aint great on these guys as they have so few lasguns, they work best with the bring it down order from a CCS but yours is stationary, keep it for now and ill go over another option with you later)
- Guardsmen 2, 3 & 4
o Plasma Guns Perfect place for these, take 3!
CHIMERA TANK!

- Veteran Sergeant
- Guardsman 1
o Vox Caster
- Guardsmen 2, 3 & 4
o Melta Guns Perfect place for these, take 3!
CHIMERA TANK!

Fast Attack Squadron (FAS) – 130 pts - I love my sentinels, with my changes you have 2 chimera. use them to provide cover for them or to outflank and pop some shots inthe backs of people. But they are fragile, keep them cheap or see the enmy wipe points of the board as very little effort.
- Scout Sentinel x2
o Auto Cannon Yes, these or multilasers are awesome. i prefer multilaser here but autocannon is as good if nto better vs tougher armour.

TOTAL: 767ish

With this revised list your keeping the same amount of bodies on the ground. Have increased your fire power and and an ADL you can place where you like and you provide some cover against air units with the quad gun. Plus you now have 230 points left over to get creative with.

What would i do next?

Options 1
Company Command Squad 2 (185 Points)
2x Plasma Pistol
4x Melta
Chuimera Tank

This is an expensive option but a whole loads fun. The company commander has bring it down order and can issue it twice. Send him along with your veterans in their chimeras and they all get that much more deadly (he can issue the order to himself also). Make sure you make your other CCS your warlord, this means that whilst this unit is a huge threat your other warlord remains a priority making target choice hard. I chose melta to keep costs lower and rereolling that much plasma is a recipe for disaster. Duel plasma pistols on this commander also works as he has 3 wounds to counter the "it gets hot rule". Plus you get that important 3rd chimera.

Options 2
Heavy Support

You could bring a leman russ battle tank and still have change for another squad of men, bring AV14 and a pie plate to the fight

Options 3
If you cut down on around 20 - 30 points (Easily done by loosing the plasma on your veteran sgts you could bring 2x Fast Tanks to the fight I would probably bring 1x Devil Dog and 1x Hellhound at 250 pts. Giving your mobile vets in chimeras some awesome options. Plus the devil dog will draw a few founds of fire off you vets in their chimeras

Hope fully thats a bit more constructive for you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
P.S obviously i cut a lot out like power weapons and some things you may have added for flavour / fluff reasons. I tried to keep it as a whole in theme with what you were doing but make it a bit more deadly / optimised.

DISCLAIMER: However, i think its more important you play a unit becuase you like using them not because they're the best. Fun is better than optimisation in my opinion.

·
4,967 Posts
HQ: CCS 3 plasma + standard, chimera ML+KF 165

Troops: PCS 4 flamer chimera ML+HF 105
Squad: AC+GL 65

Troops: 10 vets, 3 meltas, chimera ML+HF 155

Fast: 2 scout sentinels with AC+HK missiles 100

Heavy: Leman russ with hull HB 150

Total 1000 points

This is a decent start with plenty of troops which you can blob together or keep seperate. If you blob a lot then considder a vox network otherwise dont bother. Three mechanised units able to deal respecively with elite infantry, hordes and tanks. I'm not that keen on sentinels but if you have the models and you outflank them they should do fine. A basic russ is a good idea for the pie plate and a decent armour value may take some heat off the chimeras.

To expand them further to 1500 add a vendetta with SWS inside with cheap 3 flamers (or really go for it with psycho 3 demmo charges) then add another meltavet in chimera and a russ demolisher maybe....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lots of good suggestions I really do appreciate it. My list is lacking the Heavy Weapons Squad that i have from a battleforce I bought a while back. I just wanted to make sure my army was going to be capable of handling the Space Wolves and Tyranids that I would be facing, with most of my firepower concentrating on the Monstrous Creatures that the Nids have as well as the Rune Priest that the Wolves have.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
New things to add: I am now in possession of 2 leman russ demolishers and 2 chimeras...my opponents have gained a land raider crusader

1 - 8 of 8 Posts