Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought the Isle of Blood boxed set and split it with a friend, I got High Elves he got skaven, here is the first of many to come, eventually I will have the entire High Elf half of the box posted, but for now, here is my first Greatsword of Hoeth

·
161 Posts
I think it needs a spot colour, to contrast with the red armour. Painting the gems green or blue (purple? if blueish perhaps) would add a lot.

Other than that I like it. Looks like the blood elves from WOW. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used a purple wash on the chain mail and sword, I was thinking either applying a few coats of that over the gems or painting them lich purple with some chainmail silver mixed in for a more metallic effect? Any advice on making a jewel like surface? I have never tried anything like that before

·
161 Posts
There's an article on GW's site about painting gems. link
They use red but the technique can be used with any colour. It's not difficult but can take many steps to look good.

Gems are usually painted to look transparent like coloured glass, of course if you want non-transparent gems, then just shade and highlight them normally.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info I will definetly do it once I get a few more shades of purple, here is some more progress, I know me posting 10 swordsmen in a row is gonna get boring fast so do you think I should go with the sea guard, cavalry or the prince on gryphon next?

·
161 Posts
Entirely up to you, mate.

Most people find that saving the characters for last makes them more motivated to finish the units, but not many people have the discipline and iron will required (certainly not me). Mixing it up by painting one model from a unit and then doing one from a different unit also makes it more fun but having a lot of models waiting to be painted can be daunting.

So...not that helpful, perhaps. :)

·
Registered
519 Posts
When you mix up your units while painting, make sure you remember the paint scheme you use. ;)

It really sucks when you put your unit together you see that the shades aren't quite the same.
It also helps to paint a unit at a time, instead of each single model apart.
So you start with al the Robes, then you paint all the skin, then al the metal, etc, etc.
That way you can really speed up the painting proces, and you make sure all the models use the same colors.
It does make it a bit more challenging to actually finish something. But you'll be pleased when you see the result. An entire unit painted!
I usually paint up to 20 models at the same time. More just becomes to big of a challenge, but this way i can speed up the painting with almost 25%!!!!

You should try to find your own way though.
Your own way is the best way ;)

About the painting itself:
I do like the red/gold paint scheme on high elves. It can really work good. Watch out you wont make them to dark though, as that will make them look more like dark elves then High Elves;)
I also think your models could benefit from some more shading. Especially the platemail can use another wash of badab black. It looks a bit too uniform right now. I would suggest a nice wash of badab black, followed by a drybrush of chainmail/Mithril.
Also the flesh of the champion could use some more shading. Washing with ogryn Flesh, Followed by a highlight of elf Flesh will give it some more depth.

Good Luck!

·
555 Posts
To add to the post above:
If you paint multiple models at the same time, you are using your paints more efficiently as well. Less wasted paints.

I like the scheme. I would, as already mentioned, pick the gems out in a bright green. To contrast the reds.
I'm personally not so sure about the purple wash on the blade. Purple and reds clash.
Have you ever seen a girl wear purple and reds together? Didn't think so :p
I would wash the blades with blue, or not at all (just a watered down Badab Black wash).

Have you washed the skin/red/gold?

Don't worry about boring us with pictures :p
Just post a picture of the entire unit when it's finished, instead of each SM individually.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is it possible to remove the wash or would using a red wash over the purple wash on the chain mail nullify its effects? Also I washed the skin ogrynn flesh a few times but I am not sure on how to highlight it, I need a smaller brush or something haha, I know you said just to wait for the unit but I already have a picture of the champions face close up to give a better idea

·
quik-quik, kill-kill!
2,651 Posts
I think using a turquoise colour for those .. erhmm... tails? ( What are the darn things called? Tried looking it up but couldn't find it :) ) would nicely offset the red. Turquoise and dark red usually work very well together and are usd very often on dark elf and dark eldar models. I'll find an example of how those colours work with eachother.

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
I actually liked the very first picture you posted, with the gems picked out in plain silver rather than any particular shade. If you went with a shade, yes, I suppose that aqua/green/blue would be your best bet.

Don't listen to them about the purple wash on your silver. Yes, purple clashes with the red whenever you can see it clearly (the gems) but I thought that it looked perfect on the scales of their armor. I've been looking at Samurai armor and minis all day, and the bright red and cooler purple really reminded me of a lot of the painting that I've seen on those figures. Just keep the purple wash to a minimum (lightly on just the silver bits) and do the rest as normal.

For some praise- I'm diggin' the bright orange highlights.
For a unique criticism- your hair could use a *very* light highlight of white or elf flesh. It looks a little too "yellow" at the moment.

·
Keeper of Records and Ale
10,982 Posts
Bearded - I think you mean 'plume'.

[MENTION=25351]czuzak[/MENTION] - Some nice looking minis. The skin could do with some little work, using a smaller brush pick out the high points of the face - nose, cheek bones with a touch of your skin tone and white. The face is lacking. I do think that the plumes could do with a different colour. As the others have said, turquoise is a nice colour, but you can also consider cream or white as a strong offset colour.

Kuffy

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay well I finished the unit up for the most part, a few touch ups to do here and there, but nothing that will be too noticible in tomorrows game (my first official high elf game yay)

As far as the color of the plumes go I am going into the hobby shop tomorrow so I will be picking up a few new colors, I do like the idea of turquoise but we will see what I like the best

·
161 Posts
Having seen the new pics, I think I have to come down on the no-purple-wash side (at least on the swords, the armor looks fine). Perhaps they will improve with some highlights though.

I'm firmly in support of turquoise, but it's your minis, you should do whatever you feel works best, of course.

Anyway, may the dice gods favor the proud sons of Ulthuan in your upcoming battle!
*Sacrifices chicken*:chicken:

·
Registered
519 Posts
Nice pictures :)
The unit looks nice and coherent, as a real wel-oiled war machine. As it should be.
I'm also not a fan of the purple on the blades. the rest of the unit looks great, but the purple of the blades just... dunno, it's just not quite right.

It's great to see that you're already improving your skills. I can't wait to see your entire army painted. With this progress you'll be painting first class mini's in no time.
What's next in the line?

And do you already have an armylist you are going to use? Might wanna share with us?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I have good news, I have a 2000 point list almost fully purchased for a tornement in July, I am only missing 10 archers, 10 seaguard, 4 Swordmasters, 5 Dragon Princes, and 1 bolt thrower. I will put up an update in a little bit of how my army looks currently. The full list is as follows though.

Lords and Heroes:
Prince w/ Griffon
Mage
Mounted BSB
Core:
20x Seaguard
10x Archers
10x Archers
10x Archers

Special:
5x Reavers w/Bows
14x Swordmasters
5x Dragon Princes

Rare:
2x Bolt Throwers

As for my next unit to work on I think its going to one of the archer ones

·
Registered
519 Posts
Srry, but as a HE player i can't stand the urge to break down your list ;)

Lords and Heroes:
Prince w/ Griffon
Why a griffon?:| for just a couple points extra you can get a dragon!

Mage
Just level 1? if so an Annulian crystal would really help you with some more magic defence. It is really low as it is right now.

Mounted BSB
Good :) AoC i presume?

Core:
20x Seaguard
10x Archers
10x Archers
10x Archers
So... Many... Core! Why?
I would go with 25 seaguard with FC, and a single unit of 14 archers.
That way you minimise your core, and leave more points for our real good units.

Special:
5x Reavers w/Bows
Difficult unit to play with. Too expensive to loose, to fragile to take a hit. but if you think you can handle them, take em.
14x Swordmasters
Good unit. Including a Full command?
5x Dragon Princes
This unit is a bit smallish. With the BsB in it they will be with just 6. they will be a very expensive unit with just 7 wounds. I would try to increase their size if you can.

Rare:
2x Bolt Throwers
Great, You gotta love these :)
Sorry for wrecking your list, but i had to spill it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Okay so here is what I've done since the last update...

And here is a little bonus "commission" I did in between putting these little elves together (not really I just did it for a friend who wanted me to haha)

So my 2000 point has changed a lot since reading your suggestions, I will post the full thing once the details are smoothed out but the major changes are less core, white lion chariot in place of reavers, and a few other little details

*EDIT*
Also my spearman champion was changed so that it has a chariot spear, which I think is much better looking, a small trouble to fit but nothing a little green stuff couldn't fix :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay so here is my 2000 point list redone as well as a few photos from a game I am about to play with my brother!

Prince
- Griffon
-Sword of Strife
-Armour of Caledor

Noble (BSB)
-Mounted/Barded
-Lance
-Dragon Armor
-Shield

Mage
-Annulian Crystal
-Level 2
-Lore Varies depending on enemy [most likely life/fire/high]
10x Archers w/Hawkeye

10x Archers w/ Hawkeye

20x Lotheren Sea Guard w/full command

14x Swordmasters of Hoeth w/full command

Lion Chariot of Chrace

5x Dragon Princes w/Full command

2x Repeater Bolt Throwers

And some poor ): quality pictures the next piece I am painting

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.