Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Imperial Amphibious Marine Corps: 11 points per model

Ws Bs S T W I Ld Sv
Marine 4 3 3 3 1 3 8 5+

Unit Size: 4-9 marines, with 1 sergeant

Weapons: lascarbine, frag and krak grenades

Options: Up to three models replace their carbines with flamers for +6 points, grenade launchers for +8, suspended heavy stubbers for +15, or heavy autoguns for +5. The sergeant may take a demo charge for +20 points.

May upgrade sergeant to a Veteran Sergeant for +6 points. The Sergent gets +1 A and may select up to 25 points of equipment from the Imperial Guard armoury.

Transport: The squad must select a Tortoise Amphibious Transport for +105 points or a Chimera for +75 points.

Special Skills: Specially trained for amphibious assaults, these troops hit the ground hard. They are equiped with lascarbines, a smaller, lighter version of the lasgun, and 20" micro-filament edged bayonets. Marines have the Furious Charge special rule.

Lascarbine: R 18", S 3, AP -, Assault 2

Suspended Heavy Stubber: R 18", S 4, AP 6, Assault 3

Heavy Autogun: R 24", S 4, AP 5, Assault 1

http://www.librarium-online.com/for.../115556-ig-amphibious-transport-tortoise.html

·
Registered
576 Posts
nice dude! I love the way you add stuff to build around the Tortoise. I think they should cost more like 13 points, b/c of the Furious Charge and Fearless on the charge. Also, you should make them a Fast Attack Choice (at least i think so)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem with making them 13 points each is that with S3 guns with a range of 18", and only a 5+ save to protect them, they'll get tron to pieces before they get to the enemy. The Tortoise makes them a bit tougher, but a unit with a couple of lascannons could pop it open in a turn. Maybe drop the Fearless, make the transport mandatory, and make them 11 points a model?

Also, what do you think of the special weapons?

·
Knight-Champion
2,141 Posts
Nie idea, I would agree with dumping the fearless and the mandatory transport though. I'd also get rid of the long-las option as it's at odds with the assault-y fluff.

I'd also be cautious about the WS 4... I'd be more comfortable with the idea if they were BS 4, WS 3 (unless the army has the hardened fighers doctrine of course).

May also be tempted to shorten the range of the lascarbine to 12" to compensate for the fact they are assault weapons.

Of course if you did both of those it may merit a drop in points, but then again that's no bad thing... they are guard after all...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Long-Las is Assault 1, I don't know where you're getting at with that.

If I drop the lascarbine's range down to 12", it becomes a shotgun. I could make it AP 5 or S 4 instead of R 18"...

These guys are supposed to really be close combat troops. They can hose a position down with gunfire, but they really kill stuff in assault. That's why they have WS 4. It's also to differentiate them from hardened Vets or Stormtroopers.

Hmm, drop Fearless, make the transport mandatory, and maybe drop them to WS 3. Hmmm, 10 points?

·
Registered
576 Posts
10 points is fine with the changes. Howevre, do not drop the WS 4, just make it 11 points. And the Transport should be mandatory. And how about if they are suppoed to be CC give them CC weaps?

·
Registered
576 Posts
ooh kk,

i like the special weapons. What choice are they though? I think Fast Attack would be proper. Also, consider addding the Frag Grenade Upgrade for +2 points.

·
Registered
576 Posts
yeah 0-1 b/c they are still pretty rare in fluff, since theyre relatively new

·
Shrug, k...
1,350 Posts
i'd probably use them with a grenadier list; a transport suicide attack unit w/ 3 demo charges is pretty overpowering when unloaded at the right time.

that said, IMO they should be limited to one demo charge per squad, three templates chucked on the unload is too much.

·
Inquisitorial Aspirant
452 Posts
I think that this unit should be unique to a particular regiment that would have one of it's predetermined docturines used on them. They'd be very rare and only from worlds where beach landings are common. They're definetly not standard tactica imperialis stuff, Imperial Guard would just use Chimeras for that.

·
LO Oldie
1,248 Posts
the suspended stubber really should have a range of 24" as i can tell you LMGs are going to shoot farther than a carbine. Also, 3 demo charges is WAY too powerful.. demo charges should be limited to one per squad. Finally, assault 2 is too much for the carbine IMO, but i think assault 1 is to much.. i'ld suggest making them assault 1 twin-linked.

otherwise, i like the idea, good job

·
Archmagos
904 Posts
The heavy autogun works nicely, but I kind of liked the stubber and long-las myself - although the "long-las" could have been renamed since the long-las is supposed to be used as a sniper rifle.
I don't really see why the stubber would be a problem, since a moving psycannon and a suspended heavy bolter can only shoot 18" as well.

Melta guns might be a nice addition.

As for the lascarbine, AP5 doesn't seem to fit, since hell weapons are generally reserved for storm troopers. I suggest gen's suggestion of assault 1, twin linked, or possibly keeping it as-is.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Personally, I like them as they are. I'll change them to have only one demo charge per unit. As well, I'll rename the long-las to heavy autogun.

I had meltas before, they got replaced with demo charges/krak grenades. Anywya, how often are marines going to need to deal with armour?

·
Registered
130 Posts
They may not need to deal with armour... but they may well need to crack open bunkers, especially if they're making beach landings.

I'd make them 10 men to a squad (9 marines and a sergeant), it's in keeping with standard guard doctrine and you've got 10 spaces on the Tortoise. You wouldn't send one out half-full.

Got no problem with the profile or Furious Charge, it works for me. After all, once they get past the charge they're gonna get wrecked by most enemies, as they're only S3 with no combat weapons. Appropriate for guardsmen.

The Lascarbine I don't like. In effect, it's an uber shotgun (well, it's got extra range). Either make it Assault 1 (more appropriate for a carbine-type weapon) or just give them shotguns. How often are they gonna be fighting at range anyway?

Heavy Autogun - it's an Assault 1 Bolter. Why?

Also, on a fluff point, can we have 10" bayonets only? 20" is gonna be nearly as long as the carbine, and will be extremely unwieldy....

But good idea! I like it!

·
LO Oldie
1,248 Posts
Anywya, how often are marines going to need to deal with armour?
More often than you'ld think.. Being a military person, generally we have one AT4 rocket launcher issued to each squad. Now in the 40k rules set i dont think a missile launcher would be appropriate in this setting so i would definetely keep the melta option available

Im still of the opinion that the lascarbine is too poweful. im still saying assault 1 twin linked, representing a short burst of fire rather than standard carefully aimed semi-automatic fire

1 - 20 of 25 Posts