Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting that itch to try my hand at DoW again. For me this is one of the more challenging armies we can play and it let's me mix some odd models and use some models I haven't had a chance to play with in a while. Last time I went with a super magic list, but i don't think that you can get enough dice to make it worth the points. This time, I'm going for more combat.

250 Lvl 3 Wizard Lord 3x scrolls
104 Captain barded warhorse, sword of might, shld, hvy armor, brace of pistols (general)
124 Captain Pegasus, shld, hvy armor, brace of pistols, great weapon, lance
107 Paymaster barded warhorse Heavy Armor, brace of pistols, Enchanted Shield, Biting Blade
72c Duelists x8 w/ sword & pistol
95c LtCavalry x5 w/spears, bows w/musician
80c Crossbowmen x10
219c Voland’s Venators x6 FC
335s Beorg & Bearmen x20 FC
201s Dwarves x19 FC HW/Shld, Heavy Armor
202s Ironguts x4 musician
202s Ironguts x4 musician
170r cannon x2
the wizrd is for defense mainly, casting an occasional spell or two. He and the PMaster will hang with the ldship 9 dwarves, maybe with the general too. xbows and cannons stay behind, everyone else goes up and surrounds and smacks the enemy.

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts
Why a lvl 3 wizard? 5 casting dice isn't going to do much. Is it just for the extra scroll? I guess it's cheaper than two lvl 1 wizards with scrolls.

I think that's about as good a DoW army as you can make.

Have you thought about Golgfag's ogres? They dish out a crap load of attacks, 19 with just four models. They won't hit as hard as Iron Guts, but they'd have 7 more attacks.

I think it's really well balanced and can do well. DoW are tough to make a good army with, but I like that one.

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, basically I was trying to keep him cheap. If I take Beasts or something, then I can hopefully get crow's feast or the bolthrower or the movement spell and throw 4 dice at it (maybe total power) and then still have one left over for bear's anger.

It's so hard to get a decent amount of magic without magic items or bound spells anyway. I figured this way he'll do his job and stay alive. Basically the whole army is leadership 8 except the dwarves. Which is above average, but not great. I've thought about Golfags, but I'm hesitant to put too many banners out there. I usually don't run more than 3 in any of my other lists. Golfags unit ought to beable to take it to the enemy, but I think he'll get targeted more than usual as well. This way I have lots of less noticeable units (beorg's is probably the exception)

·
Registered
477 Posts
That's a solid list. That wizard is ugly as hell though lol. I'd take a lvl 1 with 2 dispells and use lore of the heavens. It will save you 140 points and then you can drop one of the musicians in one of the ogre squads and take two more x8 duellist with pistols. If you did that you'd be 2 points under instead of 6 over and have 16 more bodies. In a tournament you can't even be 1 over.

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, my only reservation about the lvl1 is that I play a bunch of guys, some of whom take 3 spell casters. Only having 3 DD and 2 scrolls won't even get me through the first turn. With the lvl3, at least I have 4 dispel dice and 3 scrolls. I was considering getting the +1 to dispel staff, since that usually helps me dispel all bound items and most TK incantations. I don't ever play in big tournaments, just the local RT and my friend runs them all, and he's more concerned with a nice, fair list than whether the point cost is right on. I actually only have about 3/4 of this list built and painted, so I've still got some work to do, to get it on the field. I know the wizard isn't the best buy as far as bang for the buck, but I'm trying him to see if he can hold the tide of magic that gets thrown around in our Thursday night games.

This may sound silly, but another problem I have is relating to the Movement 4 trooper. I'm used to playing a variety of elves and beastmen and Movement 4 is really slow to me. I get mixed up with guessing ranges all of a sudden, so having a list where I don't have to move a lot of movement 4 guys is useful to me. MOst of the list (except the duelists and Beorg) move faster and I'm used to. I'm actually using Kossars as my bearmen, since I have those models painted and don't get to use them often.

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts
M4 is very slow. Try switching to dwarfs!

But your ogres and cav will help a lot. And you're a smart player who knows to use terrain to his advantage. You'll be okay, but just be prepared to flee on occasion or absorb some charges.

And keep that paymaster alive. I always go kamikaze against a paymaster and his unit. Easy pickings, but your mount gives him a good armor save.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I don't mean to be rude but if 3 dd and 2 scrolls wouldn't make you through the first turn then it seems kind of pointless to take a wizard thats 140 points more for 1 more dd and another scroll. It sounds like you proved my point for me bro. Take another unit other than the duellists with the extra points.

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that's fine, I'd like to try it. Right now I'm not sold on the duelist idea. A 2D6 str4 spell would kill them easily. If I have to block 2 of those a magic phase, usually with 4 dice, I can stop them, if he rolls high, then I can use a scroll. There are going to be a bunch of spells that I'll have to let go, but I'd like to be able to stop at least 2 of the big ones each turn til I can get into combat. I really don't see how more duellists will help. They'll either be trampled by a real fighting unit or killed by magic before they get into range for the pistols. If anything, maybe some more heavy cavalry might help. They don't wilt at the sight of bowfire or magic missiles (unless it's no armor save mm) If the lvl3 sucks, I'll try a level 1 and see if there's much of a difference. Thanks for replying at least, even if we don't agree.

@dave, I played Chaos dwarves about 3 times and decided to sell all my dwarves. The movement was killing me. That's my favorite phase in the game I figured out and I swore I'd never play M3 again.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yeah you could lose one of the captains and take two level 1s with 2 dispel scrolls each and it'd be 30 pts cheaper than the level 3 still. You'd have the same DD and 1 more scroll. You'd lose a spell and a power dice but you could up one to level 2 with the points. And you could take a heavy cav squad with the points from the captain. Or whatever you wanted.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've used a similar list to yours with some success (and some failures!).
Lots of small units with a couple of big units to provide rank bonus.
If you're going magic-light (which I think is viable), you'll need to get into combat
as fast as possible against magic heavy armies. You will have some problems against TK,
so if they're a common enemy, you'll need another L1 mage and the dispel staff.

Not sure if Beorg and his guys are worth it, I'm in the process of painting mine up.
I use vanilla norse with great weapons and they never seem to charge.
Not sure if bows & musicians are worth it on the light cav - you've added half again to
the price, have you made them half again as effective?

One (horribly gamey, but legal) tip. Try to get your paymaster to flee off the table.
You only have to take the army-wide morale check if he dies, not if he flees, never to
be seem again! Seriously though, he'll die in combat so easily, so keep him out of danger.
I either put him in a heavy cav unit with the best armour I can get him, or I put him in
a unit of duelists with some armour and hide him in some woods!

Duellists with pistols are top! Especially at wizard chasing. If the wizard wastes his 2D6 S4
spell at 8 cheap duellists, then he's not using that spell on Voland, the beastmen or
your ironguts.

One last question. Why brace of pistols? I'll take a single pistol, but have you found the brace worthwhile?
Cheers,
Spon

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've used a similar list to yours with some success (and some failures!).
Lots of small units with a couple of big units to provide rank bonus.
If you're going magic-light (which I think is viable), you'll need to get into combat
as fast as possible against magic heavy armies. You will have some problems against TK,
so if they're a common enemy, you'll need another L1 mage and the dispel staff.

Not sure if Beorg and his guys are worth it, I'm in the process of painting mine up.
I use vanilla norse with great weapons and they never seem to charge.
Not sure if bows & musicians are worth it on the light cav - you've added half again to
the price, have you made them half again as effective?

One (horribly gamey, but legal) tip. Try to get your paymaster to flee off the table.
You only have to take the army-wide morale check if he dies, not if he flees, never to
be seem again! Seriously though, he'll die in combat so easily, so keep him out of danger.
I either put him in a heavy cav unit with the best armour I can get him, or I put him in
a unit of duelists with some armour and hide him in some woods!

Duellists with pistols are top! Especially at wizard chasing. If the wizard wastes his 2D6 S4
spell at 8 cheap duellists, then he's not using that spell on Voland, the beastmen or
your ironguts.

One last question. Why brace of pistols? I'll take a single pistol, but have you found the brace worthwhile?
Cheers,
Spon
thanks Spon. I haven't played this rendition yet, I"m still getting the models put together. I thought I would try the brace of pistols since this is the only army (save maybe dwarves) that can give most of their characters a pistol. I think it's probably a bit much on the paymaster, but the captains get to shoot pretty well with both of them, so I thought what the heck! I'll let you know.

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
getting close to getting the list playable and had an epiphany the other night. AFter reading through the rules, I don't see any reason why I can't do this - let me know what you think

265r Truthsayer
265r Truthsayer
136 Captain Pegasus, shld, hvy armor, brace of pistols, Sword of Might
107 Paymaster Barded Steed, Heavy Armor, brace of pistols, Enchanted Shield, Biting Blade
82c Duelists x8 w/ sword & pistol Musician
80c Crossbowmen x10
219c Voland’s Venators x6 FC
335s Beorg & Bearmen x20 FC
201s Dwarves x19 FC HW/Shld, Heavy Armor
192s Ironguts x4
192s Ironguts x4

One of the truthsayers will be my general, I've got 8 power dice and 6 dispel dice with a +1 to dispel. The truthsayers have just about as good a chance at staying alive as the captain with a 2+ armor save, he hits just as hard (str5 magical attacks) and has better leadership. I give up the cannons, but have better magic defense and a little bit of a magic phase with good spells (#6 I could do without, but 1-5 are really good)

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts
I don't see a problem with it buckero0. I think it's a pretty smart idea. I've never seen or heard anybody propose it before.

Could you take both a truthsayer and a dark emissary? Now, that'd be kind of cool.

As for the list, it's solid, just like your lists always are.

Do you think ironguts are more useful than cannons? Are DoW cannons specials or rares? I know there's the galloping guns and then some regular cannons, right?

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I changed my sig Dave.

I'm pretty sure you can't take both since they are supposedly fighting each other in the old campaign book. Cannons are rare slots and the truthsayers are a hero and rare slot each, so I'll lose them. It's kind of sad, because my cannon and crew are painted really nicely and I don't have a truthsayer model to use yet. I actually prefer the truthsayer lore over the dark emmissary and they are much more durable in my opinion with a much better stat line. The magic defense is better with the truthsayer and that's the main reason I put them in there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.