Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
im pretty new to tau, but id say put a lot of devilfish, mount all your firewarroirs in the devilfish

yah and im pretty sure you cant "jetpack" a ethereal

·
Registered
353 Posts
Originally posted by Shas'vre Xinhua Kais Myen@Nov 18 2003, 11:18
So far i have got :
-3 battlesuits
-12 Fire Warriors
-12 Kroot
-1 Ethereal(jet packed)

I want my army to be extremely mobile what else should i get??
Why not give your kroot a jetpack while you're at it? They'd have more use for it.

·
288 Posts
Originally posted by Shas'vre Xinhua Kais Myen@Nov 18 2003, 10:18
So far i have got :
-3 battlesuits
-12 Fire Warriors
-12 Kroot
-1 Ethereal(jet packed)

I want my army to be extremely mobile what else should i get??
I think you have it covered Xinhua. Once you get that Ethereal jet-packed* you've got the ultimate extremely mobile army. You need nothing else. Because of your mobility you can take on armies many times your size and come out victorious.

I would be afraid to play a game against you.

<grin>

Okay, I was kidding.

1) An Ethereal does not have the option for a jetpack (according the the Codex)

2) The phrase "Extremely Mobile" is a relative term. In a literal sense you would then field an army comprised entirely with Crisis suits, Stealth suits and FireWarriors with Devilfish transports. This would be costly in both money and points and would leave you with an unbalanced army that would either fail miserably or be so successful and cheesy that no one would want to play you.

i.e.
HQ1 Shas'o w/2 Shas'vre bodyguards
HQ2 Shas'o w/2 Shas'vre bodyguards

Elite1 3 Crisis battlesuits
Elite2 3 Crisis battlesuits
Elite3 3 Crisis battlesuits

Troop1 12 Firewarriors w/Devilfish
Troop2 12 Firewarriors w/Devilfish
Troop3 12 Firewarriors w/Devilfish
Troop4 12 Firewarriors w/Devilfish
Troop5 12 Firewarriors w/Devilfish
Troop6 12 Firewarriors w/Devilfish

Besides, while it seems cool to have a FireWarrior that can jump in and jump out of a Devilfish and be ferried around the battlefield at a moment's notice, the actual game rules make it unlikely that your FireWarrior unit will accomplish much in a standard 6-turn game.

A balanced force is more important than "mobility" and how you achieve that balance is really up to your tastes.

Enjoy,
Jon

*sure, that's a verb <grin>

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well, if I remember correctly, there is some artwork in the Tau Codex showing an Ethereal with a Jetpack next to two Crisis Suits landing on the battlefield.

Maybe that was the Idea behind all of this.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Other than their is no rules for jetpacking a ethereal i dont see any use for it, to get it killed faster? :blink: Any way i have house rule that i use at my local gw that i can give the firewarriors a jetpack(that alows assualt moves even if not moving into an assualt) for 15 pts and all have pulse carbines its awsome but like i said those are house rules.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Originally posted by Jon23516@Nov 19 2003, 09:08
successful and cheesy that no one would want to play you.

i.e.
HQ1 Shas'o w/2 Shas'vre bodyguards
HQ2 Shas'o w/2 Shas'vre bodyguards

Elite1 3 Crisis battlesuits
Elite2 3 Crisis battlesuits
Elite3 3 Crisis battlesuits

Troop1 12 Firewarriors w/Devilfish
Troop2 12 Firewarriors w/Devilfish
Troop3 12 Firewarriors w/Devilfish
Troop4 12 Firewarriors w/Devilfish
Troop5 12 Firewarriors w/Devilfish
Troop6 12 Firewarriors w/Devilfish

Besides, while it seems cool to have a FireWarrior that can jump in and jump out of a Devilfish and be ferried around the battlefield at a moment's notice, the actual game rules make it unlikely that your FireWarrior unit will accomplish much in a standard 6-turn game.

A balanced force is more important than "mobility" and how you achieve that balance is really up to your tastes.

Enjoy,
Jon

*sure, that's a verb <grin>
why would this be cheesy at all??

·
Registered
353 Posts
Originally posted by The Exploited@Nov 19 2003, 13:25
Other than their is no rules for jetpacking a ethereal i dont see any use for it, to get it killed faster? :blink: Any way i have house rule that i use at my local gw that i can give the firewarriors a jetpack(that alows assualt moves even if not moving into an assualt) for 15 pts and all have pulse carbines its awsome but like i said those are house rules.
sounds fun but too expensive.

25 pts is alot to risk when you only have WS 2 T 3 and a 4+ save.

Do you play with alot of terrain? if you could feasably hide your firewarriors with the assault move almost every turn that'd be a sweet way to go. jump forward and pin then jump back into cover.

[edit: and I don't think Jon was saying it was cheesy, he was saying that it would be if it worked. I disagree though, I think it would just be clever if it worked, though it wouldn't. I doubt very much that such an army would ever work, unless you were playing very particular scenarios or the dice were with you big time.]

·
Registered
531 Posts
Loads of terrian, i use them just like you said bouce them in and out of terrian. Since they all have carbine i usually pin the unit im after so the ws2 doest come into play as much.

·
288 Posts
Regarding my all Criris/Firewarrior/Devilfish sample army list; I think it would be cheesy.

First, taking a maximum of 15 Crisis suits? Hardly balanced. Sure, it's technically legal according to the rules but if it was successful, who would want to play with you? Secondly, think how many points it would be.

Based on how I like to kit out these units the points would be about 2781.

2x HQ @ 333 = 666 points

3x Elite Crisis suits @ 211 = 633 points

6x Troop Firewarriors w/Devilfish @ 247 = 1482

For comparison, would you like to go up against a Space Marine player with 3 Dreadnoughts? Eldar with 3 Wraithlord? Probably not.

As far as the Firewarriors w/Devilfish, like I said at the top of this thread, based on the 40K rules for embarking/disembarking transports, your Firewarriors would spend about half the game getting in and out of tranports instead of using their super 5/5 guns. Therefore, you're either wasting points on troops who aren't shooting, or you just use them for shooting and waste points on transports not transporting. Of course, my list was a quick and dirty "maximum" loadout of "mobile" units.

In summary, while we all have favorite models and units, a balanced army list with elements from all categories: Troop, Elite, Fast Attack and Heavy Support. And, if you ever want to compete in a tournament where they score for army composition you will get hammered for so many suits and Elite choices.

For the Greater Good,
Jon

·
Registered
129 Posts
Originally posted by Jon23516@Nov 20 2003, 11:12
Regarding my all Criris/Firewarrior/Devilfish sample army list; I think it would be cheesy.

First, taking a maximum of 15 Crisis suits? Hardly balanced. Sure, it's technically legal according to the rules but if it was successful, who would want to play with you? Secondly, think how many points it would be.

Based on how I like to kit out these units the points would be about 2781.
this army wold be completly balanced! and would not be invincleble at all. 15 suits? pah! assault them and they're screwed, 2700 points is a lot of points for the enemy to use, i play Tyranid army, and i could get 300+ models in a 2700 point list. this list has 87 models, it would fail.

·
Registered
129 Posts
i also equipped my crissis suits with 3 starcannons and gave my broadsides ion cannons. Then i gave my kroot gauss weapons and fielded my monolith with the mutated hull upgrade. I then made it so that all 12 of my librarians had beserker glaives and scything talons. my firewarriors have rending claws too!

35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All the people who have have said "jetpacking an Ethereal would just get her/him killed quicker". I would just like to say that the jet pack is not an offensive piece of equipment i use it mainly when he is being targeted by a hand 2 hand unit. Even i'm not stupid enough to attack people with an Ethereal (price of failure) though i have left him looking down the barrel of an earthshaker cannon . . . . .

35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, if I remember correctly, there is some artwork in the Tau Codex showing an Ethereal with a Jetpack next to two Crisis Suits landing on the battlefield.

Maybe that was the Idea behind all of this.

Thankyou, this is where i got the idea!!! Pg 7 of the Tau codex, an Ethereal flanked by 2 crisis suits with extremely long fusion blasters drifting down from a Orca dropship

·
Registered
129 Posts
too bad theres no rules for it, ass. fluf or no fluff, thats not leagal. i might as well give daemonic wings to my krootox and claim he can kill if he rolls a 2+

Mega Krootox
Stats:
WS = 11
BS = 11
S = * (roll a 32 sided dice to get his S)
T = * (roll a 32 sided dice to get his T)
W = 10
Ld = fearless
I = 11
Sv = 1+ (invol)

Weapons: the mega krootox is armed with 45 and a half lascannnons that automaticly hit.
Rules: the mega krootox has wings and it is a god. bow down before it.
special rules: all dumbasses with jetpacked ethereals must die when the mega krootox says "pork scrapings and gretchin droppings"

good eh?

35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I also equipped my crissis suits with 3 starcannons and gave my broadsides ion cannons. Then i gave my kroot gauss weapons and fielded my monolith with the mutated hull upgrade. I then made it so that all 12 of my librarians had beserker glaives and scything talons. my firewarriors have rending claws too!
??????? and that has what to do with New Mobile Tau Army? Try the insane conversions part of the website.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.