Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
linky would be nice and who is harry? about time my blundering babble about necrons had some proper intel, asuming the guy had news direct from gws.
thanks
antique_nova

·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He's been proven right for the past X years... We don't know why he gets some info for gw, he's always right.

D-End

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
a meeting he had in the past days with a GW UK head he could say that necrons will be released in summer between june and july.
i hung onto every word in that sentence, my bladdering is alive once more :D. lol
thanks
antique_nova

·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Harry said that june/july is not possible as thats warhammer 8th eddition, he said the 18 month countdown started around start 09 at the earliest, so fall is more likely.

D-End

·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But they rarely release two things at the same time...

Not major things and a new ed is above major!

I can make the necron sumary for rumours when the time comes, you guys alright with it?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Unless by some miraculous happening that the mystery codex is Dark Eldar (some plot line entangling them with Blood Angels? /shrug), it looks like they're going to be winter 2010, early 2011 at the earliest =\. That is of course assuming that GW doesn't break their habit of a 2-3 month window between each release and not releasing two things at once.

As for it being Necrons, I am happy for them. Right now they are really marginalized partially due to the heavy emphasis on troops and transports (both of which they are weak/lacking in). That and their model range is quite meh. They're one of the two truly ancient "current" codexs that wouldn't bother me if it were updated before Dark Eldar (the other being "Inquisition"). Armies go, they have a lot of the same major flaws that come with great age that Deldar have (Lack of options, especially in troops; rules that either have no effect under the current system or are greatly over/under costed; etc). So if they get a good update, it bodes well for Deldar and Inquisition :3

·
709 Posts
Guess by the looks of the lineup, then 2010 and 2011 might look as follows:

Q1: Nids
Q2: BA
Q3: Necrons
Q4: Black Templar (fleet based marines)

Q1: Tau
Q2: Inquisition
Q3: Dark Eldar or Combined Eldar Codex
Q4: Chaos Legions

2012:
6th Ed.
Q4: Armaggeddon

Personally, I always thought they should ax the DE line, or roll it into the Eldar like they used to be way back in 2nd edition, no offense to DE players.

·
Blood Boy
3,643 Posts
About damn time?
More truthful words have never been spoken, typed.

I think this could be fun. When an army gets a codex for the first time they tend to be like first timers, unsure and unsteady on their feet. However often a later codex will greatly refin e them into a much better army. I will wait with interest to see what the Necrons have in store.

·
Drills baby.
6,481 Posts
Personally, I always thought they should ax the DE line, or roll it into the Eldar like they used to be way back in 2nd edition, no offense to DE players.
Why? The DE didn't exist back in 2nd ed. (confusing them with the Exodites that used to be in the 2nd. ed book?) and they are vastly different armies in regards to fluff, style and how they play.

@Leech: Yeah, agreed. Look at the Tau 3rd ed. book and the Tau 4th ed. Small but significant differences that helped the Tau get a better role in the 40k universe.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I really only see the need of a Necron Update. Maybe Plastic Flayed ones, Immortals, Hell, even a cool Plastic Lord kit with all his wargear options would be beautiful.

Other than that, I play Necrons with little confusion - and if it does, it is usually delt with a fair and considerable outcome. Say, for example, the Monolith getting Shaken or Stunned. It says in the Codex that it 'Will not Drift', which makes no sense to me in the new rulebook. And it does not have a crew - however, it says earlier in the codex that the Power matrix may be used even if shaken or stunned - which equates to it being validly shaken or stunned.

So there are complaints of lack of Variety - There are so many more ways to play Necrons than there are Dark Eldar. Dark Eldar? For an Effective list? You have two options. Warriors in Raiders or Wyches in Raiders. And Dark Eldar need a Model update like nobody else - Comparing my Dark Eldar Sprue to the new Space Wolves..I get shivers thinking about what the new Dark Eldar are going to look like - and lose the will to even build my Warriors. Necrons on the other hand have some very nice models that fit the 'We are Legion' roll well.

You could play a fast Necron list, With a Destroyer lord, A Couple Squads of Warriors to nab Objectives, and have the rest of a list with Destroyers and Heavy Destroyers - or you could go on the other side of the coin and have wraiths and Scarabs. Or, Slow and durable, my favorite list. I run a 1500pt list with 52 warriors, A monolith, and a Lord with a Ressurection orb. Etc Etc.

Yeah, sure, like I stated above, there are some issues like needing Plastic Flayed ones, Immortals, Even Pariahs - and that lovely thought of a Lord kit comparable to the Chaos Space Marine Terminator lord or the Space Marine Commander kits. And yet, so many other races need those updates as well. A Plastic Warboss kit - so we don't have incessant Assault on Black reach Warbosses running around.

I'm still dead hard on feeling GW is making a mistake by not hurrying up the Dark Eldar Release. Give the guy in charge of it a kick in the ass or put somebody in there to get the work done. Its been too long. And updating the Inquisition before, too? Rage. I can't say for Witch Hunters - but Daemonhunters are still a very lovable and powerful army. With Inductions and such you can have a list to counter any obstacle. Their rules are so much fun, the customization is wonderful.

·
The Voice of Reason
756 Posts
And updating the Inquisition before, too? Rage. I can't say for Witch Hunters - but Daemonhunters are still a very lovable and powerful army. With Inductions and such you can have a list to counter any obstacle. Their rules are so much fun, the customization is wonderful.
I agree that DE need an update, but don't be hatin' on the DH. Our codex is laughably out of date, we are WAAY too expensive for what we (no longer) can do, and only by essentially making us a Guard list can we be fairly competitive. I would say that of the 2 Inquisition dex's, the WH are still the more playable as a "pure" list.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I agree that DE need an update, but don't be hatin' on the DH. Our codex is laughably out of date, we are WAAY too expensive for what we (no longer) can do, and only by essentially making us a Guard list can we be fairly competitive. I would say that of the 2 Inquisition dex's, the WH are still the more playable as a "pure" list.

My 2 cents.
I have three words for you, LAND RAIDER SPAM. The spamming of a Land Raider while protected by te shrouding and packed full of squads vastly superior to marines in combat prowess, shooting prowess and of course points. That said as I found out in the votewar I hosted around summer time is how far these lists can make it, and just how competative the PURE DAEMONHUNTER build can be.

·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Q4: Black Templar (fleet based marines)

Q1: Tau
Q2: Inquisition
Q3: Dark Eldar or Combined Eldar Codex
Q4: Chaos Legions

2012:
6th Ed.
Q4: Armaggeddon
All just oppinion no real rumours. I had my own wish for 40k which would involver merging all sm codex, all chaos codex, all inquis codex and all eldar codex, for a grand total of 3 dexes with 3 a year thats a new one every 3 years for every army...

Necron + DE + Inquis are the only army I won't mind getting codices. Everything else just annoyes me...

D-End

·
Lord Admiral
2,608 Posts
I'd echo that statement - one BIG book with 4 related dexes makes so much more sense that the current garbage - again, you could almost justify the price tag of £20 for a 4-powers Chaos Dex with variant lists, a 4 "big chapters" (SW, DA, BA, UM) list with traits for others (BT, Sals, WSetc etc). In fact the BT list could be done easily just by adding the EC to the curent dex, saying teh army can gain one fo three vows, and loses access to Pyskers.

·
The Voice of Reason
756 Posts
I have three words for you, LAND RAIDER SPAM. The spamming of a Land Raider while protected by te shrouding and packed full of squads vastly superior to marines in combat prowess, shooting prowess and of course points. That said as I found out in the votewar I hosted around summer time is how far these lists can make it, and just how competative the PURE DAEMONHUNTER build can be.
First, while you can take up to 4 LR's in a list (though you would have few points, you don't benefit from shrouding within them. Secondly, GK are nowhere near "vastly superior" in terms of combat, and they die to shooting just the same, at nearly twice the cost. The current competitive builds are at best IST's/meltas, with far fewer GK. Oh, and the "special" rules are about half-invalidated now, but the points remain the same.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.