Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question has come up on how many attacks a ork dread has under the new rules. The new ork dread can buy additional combat arms thus increasing its attack. As result you can have the following layout.
Ork Dread - 3 base attacks
+additional Dread CC arm
+additinoal Dread CC arm

Here's a problem I see, that i've talked about with people in person. My initial thoughts were this adds 2 attacks for a total of 5. Made sense as it says soemthing along the lines of each arm adds an attack. An opponent brought up an additional point thought, that he believes each arm also could count as a additional cc weapon, similar to Tyranids having scything talons. While my layout gives you 5 attacks, 6 off a charge, which I think is great for a dreadnaught... his layout gives you 5 attacks +2 for additional combat, for a whopping 8 attacks off the charge?? I personally feel his interpretation is incorrect, but he insists he is correct based on RAW. I'm not a huge proponet of RAW, but how many attacks will the dread have ? Is it:

A- 3 attacks +2 Dread arms= 5 total
or
B- 3 attacks +2 Dread arms +2 for additional combat weapons= 7 total

·
resident iconoclast
791 Posts
No, he's not correct--by the RAW or anything else.

Each Dreadnought Close Combat Arm grants the Dread an additional attack in close combat. So, with two arms, the Dread gets 3+2 or five attacks.

Now, the question is whether he gets attacks on top of that. Simply? No. He doesn't. First of all, having multiple close combat weapons can only give you one extra attack, period. Not two. Scything talons have their own special rules and have no bearing on the question at all.

Secondly, the rule isn't, "models with two close combat weapons get an additional attack in combat."

The rule is, "models with two one-handed weapons get an additional attack in combat." (emphasis mine)

Now, I'm pretty sure that the Dreadnought Close Combat army isn't a weapon at all. It's an upgrade that grants the Dread an extra attack. It's a piece of equipment. It isn't a weapon.

Even if it were a weapon, you'd still have to establish that it is a one-handed weapon.

Even if it were a one-handed weapon, the Dread would still only have 6 attacks (not counting the charge). Not seven.

So, I'm not positive how the actual rules in the codex read, but your friend is definitely wrong on the number of attacks. I think that you are right.

·
Charitably Tables People
1,500 Posts
Left of West more or less hit it. Without wanting to play semantics, the Dreadnaught Close Combat Weapon (DCCW) is not a "one-handed close combat weapon," nor is it defined as such in any rule anywhere.

Also, it is not a model, it is a vehicle. You'll find that across GW word use, for the most part they refer to "models" and "vehicles."

Most importantly, any DCCW adds one attack to the Dreadnaught. That's the actual rule listed in the entry. It does not add a "one-handed weapon" to the Dreadnaught.

Any point almost can be proven within 40k rules set with clever semantics. Don't be bamboozled.

·
Poisonous Mammal
390 Posts
Also, it is not a model, it is a vehicle. You'll find that across GW word use, for the most part they refer to "models" and "vehicles."
I hate to disagree with you on something totally unrelated to the post but if you look at the BGB P.6 under the section of Models in the first paragraph, all citadel miniatures are referred to as models, there are two kinds of models: non-vehicle models & vehicle models.

Though I agree with MVBrandt that left has it right here.

·
Fun guy from Yuggoth
772 Posts
Though I agree with MVBrandt that left has it right here.
Interesting choice of words... Intentional?

But yes, vehicles are indeed 'models', and everything else is spot on.

·
Charitably Tables People
1,500 Posts
Yeah I lose on that one, it was a bit of a WAG.

Cheerios and Fruit Loops or w/e it is British folks say instead of "bye."

·
Poisonous Mammal
390 Posts
Interesting choice of words... Intentional?
Yes that was intentional…MVBrandt was agreeing with Left of West, and I was agreeing with MVBrandt’s agreement of Left of West. ;) Yes it was a bit of a round about way to agree with Left of West, but just go with it.

EDIT: It's all good MVBrandt, it happens to the best of us. At least it was on something insignificant. :)

·
Fun guy from Yuggoth
772 Posts
Yes that was intentional…MVBrandt was agreeing with Left of West, and I was agreeing with MVBrandt’s agreement of Left of West. ;) Yes it was a bit of a round about way to agree with Left of West, but just go with it.
Sorry, I was unclear. I was actually referring to "left has it right". Kind of reminds me of Abbott and Costello. You know... because of the directions... it's kind of funny, in a way... yeah. I'll go now.

·
Poisonous Mammal
390 Posts
HA...I totaly didn't even catch that...nice.

·
Dark Eldar Gerbil
1,522 Posts
Cheerios and Fruit Loops or w/e it is British folks say instead of "bye."
Now i'm not sure your right on this one...
I don't think I've ever heard Giles say that on buffy

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have had a search but can't find out what a Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon is. Following this thread leads me to think that it does not have any particular strength or AP, it merely conveys an additional attack. I can find no reference to it in the new Ork codex or in the rule book, it does not even mention it on page 46 of the rules. I am using Orks for the first time tonight and have Killa Kans some with Rokkit Launchas, some with Skorchas but at the moment they seem to be expensive. Can you help?

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dread CC

I have had a search but can't find out what a Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon is. Following this thread leads me to think that it does not have any particular strength or AP, it merely conveys an additional attack. I can find no reference to it in the new Ork codex or in the rule book, it does not even mention it on page 46 of the rules. I am using Orks for the first time tonight and have Killa Kans some with Rokkit Launchas, some with Skorchas but at the moment they seem to be expensive. Can you help?
Unfortunately its in the main rule book. It should be listed under vehicles in combat, or walkers in combat. Basically can't really write out what the rule is unfortunately.

·
Fun guy from Yuggoth
772 Posts
Unfortunately its in the main rule book. It should be listed under vehicles in combat, or walkers in combat. Basically can't really write out what the rule is unfortunately.
Page 73, specifically.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts