Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i'm a 40k wargamer and i was on the gw website and i started to look at warhammer stuff. I have seen a couple games at my local hobby shop and would like to start a warhammer army. I thought that the dark elves were the coolest looking and i was wondering what advice you can offer me. Like what to buy for them to get myself a good army that will win (aside from a codex and rulebook)

·
878 Posts
Well, it depends on what play style your looking for. If you want a cav army or fast one you get dark riders with Xbows. If you want a good cheap core you get spearmen backed up by Xbows. You can go ither way with heroes or lords, magic haevy or meele. As goes with others, its about your style. The thing about Dark elves is that they can play with pretty much any unit and be good.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you cause that is exactly what i wanted to know cause with 40k nids mostly you want to either go gaunt heavy or carnifex heavy not much options cause the other units don't work as well. Anyway thank you i still haven't gotten the codex yet.

O and how can i thank you for your post cause i'm still new to this site

·
Registered
194 Posts
Always worth taking: Hydra, Cold One Knights, Shades, Black Guard, Pendant of Khaeleth

Really worth considering: Harpies, Dark Riders, Sorceresses

Depending on play-style: Crossbowmen, Spearmen, Cold one Chariots, Reaper Bolt Throwers

Usually not worth it: Corsairs, Witch Elves, Executioners

·
878 Posts
Well the thanking system in this is cal reputation and its the hand with thumbs up at the bottom of the description of the person. If you chose what playstyle you like i can try and make a list for you ? IF not hope the best to ya. Also what the guy above says isnt correct, you just need to be smart with those units he described. As witches with cauldron of blood is just beautiful to watch.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The good thing about DE is that all units are actually quite good. Even corsairs, witch elves and executioners would proberbly be used often, were it not for the absolutely stunning BG and CoKs.

A Khaine list can be really fun to play with and against, but let us face it - no amount of 110 point cauldrons are going to make witch elves comparable to a black guard with banner of hag graef.

You said it yourself: You just need to be smart with those slightly weaker units. I really did not mean to offend neither corsairs or witch elves (ok - executioners are actually kinda bad :)). I am just saying DE is one of the top three armies - and it is proberbly not because of the witch elves or corsairs.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I personally am a fan of witches, since with 3 attacks each they really make good use of killing blow blessing. The cauldron making them stubborn gives the DE a 3rd option for a stubborn unit that doesn't suck (executioners just cost way too much to make effective). The first is the obvious blackguard, who really are as good as advertised. The second is a Block of warriors with the BSB carrying the unbreakable banner. So 3 rock solid units that can an will hold up the opponent and generate either a respectable amount of kills (warriors) or just slice through the enemy (BG and witches). I often run all 3 units and characters in the same list, since people don't expect to see so many blocks out of DE. I just think it is funny that DE can out block-hammer the armies that are supposed to be good at such tactics.

To OP:

As long as you understand exactly what you are doing when building the list, you can build an army that can compete with and often beat armies that are supposedly the best as what you are contesting. Playing against a block army? see above. Skirmish lists giving you trouble? DE can do the hit and run and skirmish game as well as WEs. HE, and lizard magic giving you a bad day? A DE Supreme sorceress with a dagger can throw over 10 dice by herself in one magic phase, without resorting to one use items. Facing a gun line? DE can bring an army that every model shoots, and still stays mobile. Want an all monster army? DE can bring 4 large monsters to a 2k game, and still have useful core and special choices. Same thing goes for a mounted army.

All those extremes aside, if you just want to have fun and still win most of your games, a balanced list that doesn't overdo any aspect (well, magic by the nature is a go big or go home affair) will work best.

As to what to buy to start: The DE battalion is quite good, putting aside the fact the corsairs are a bit weak in larger games, you will make good use out of everything in the box. I would also pick up 2 boxes of warriors. Make them up as 2 units of 10 crossbows (no command, no shields) and 2 units of 20 warriors with full command. (with shields) how you build the corsairs is up to you, either run 2 units of 10 with no command and handbows (for cheap flanking and very short range shooting, think stand and shoot) or 1 set of full command and all 2 hw. You shouldn't really run a full block of 20 too often, 12-14 is a common size, and it is nice to have the option of having a full block. I personally don't recommend command on cold one knights, since it is very expensive in points, but that is a matter of taste as I have found. The warriors are great in low point games, and if configured correctly even in high point games can be dangerous.

If you aren't wanting a balanced list, or don't want very much foot elements, the battalion box is not a good deal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.