Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Me and two friends are all going to a 25% off sale this saturday and we're going to buy the bulk of our armies. We're mostly going to be playing for fun, but I hope to play in some tournaments when I have more free time. Their armies are iron warriors and space marines, although I can't recall the space marine faction choice.

One is going to be land speeder/bike heavy marines which my friend says will slaughter me. The chaos army is going to be heavy on infiltrate, with lieutenants, regular squads, one devastator squad and some tanks. I was wondering what some good choices would be against their armies while buying my army. While i'm not too worried about the chaos, I am worried about my friends high mobility marines, which may just be inexperience talking.

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
mephistophales said:
Me and two friends are all going to a 25% off sale this saturday and we're going to buy the bulk of our armies. We're mostly going to be playing for fun, but I hope to play in some tournaments when I have more free time. Their armies are iron warriors and space marines, although I can't recall the space marine faction choice.

One is going to be land speeder/bike heavy marines which my friend says will slaughter me. The chaos army is going to be heavy on infiltrate, with lieutents, regular squads, one devastator squad and some tanks. I was wondering what some good choices would be against their armies while buying my army. While i'm not too worried about the chaos, I am worried about my friends high mobility marines, which may just be inexperience talking.
Hmmm.

Well, for the most part, both are filled with MEQs - Marine EQuivalents, the basic statline of a Space Marine.

So, in order to counter them, you have an easier time simply because they are very similar, in terms of statlines.

For the Bike player, you may want to watch out - those bikes can get in pretty fast. Mobility of your own may be the key here - Devilfish. If he doesn't know you have a mobile army, he will be expecting a lot of sit-around-and-shoot Fire Warriors, which he can easily route.

Some good things to take against MEQs: Ion Cannons on your Hammerheads (though, keep some Railguns too!), Plasma Rifles and Fusion Blasters on your Crisis Suits. Besides that, you really have to rely on massed high-S firepower to take them out.

The biggest advantage you'll have with the Bike army is that you'll severely outnumber it - they cost a hefty amount of points, and usually aren't much more than 40-50 models for an 1850-2000 point army. Massed firepower will seriously help you in this case, along with some of those AP3-2 shots from your more Elite models. As for Land Speeders.. well, they are pretty fragile. A Fire Warrior will have a reasonably easy time, with massed firepower, at taking them down. Ion Cannons will be perfect for them, too.

What points level are you planning on starting out at? With an idea, I may be able to make you a basic army list that will give you a general idea. :yes: Don't, however, take exactly what I tell you to.. I'm not a god or anything. ;) Experiment!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We'll probably play around 2000 points because that's the standard around my home town. Just looking at the codex stats on everything, I agree that the ion cannon is amazing against marines. I'll also want some broadsides for the chaos player, because he's running alot of high cost units with 4 toughness, including his lieutenants. But that's all assuming I have enough money saved up from work to buy broadsides. Thanks for helping me out with everything.

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
mephistophales said:
We'll probably play around 2000 points because that's the standard around my home town. Just looking at the codex stats on everything, I agree that the ion cannon is amazing against marines. I'll also want some broadsides for the chaos player, because he's running alot of high cost units with 4 toughness, including his lieutenants. But that's all assuming I have enough money saved up from work to buy broadsides. Thanks for helping me out with everything.
Well, against most HQ's, shooting won't be super effective until you corner them due to their IC (Independent Character) status, which generally protects them from shooting.

Around 2000 points eh?.. Well, I don't have a codex handy, but I can generalise for you:

HQ - 2x Shas'O (Plasma Rifle, Fusion Rifle, Shield Generator, Hard Wired Multitracker)
Troops - 3x Fire Warrior squads (12 men each, Shas'ui upgrade, 2x with Devilfish w/ Decoy Launchers)
Troops - 2x Kroot squads (10 men each, no upgrades)
Elites - 6x Stealth Suits
Elites - 2x Crisis Suits (Twin-Linked Plasma, Shield Generators)
Elites - 2x Crisis Suits (Twin-Linked Plasma, Shield Generators)
HS - Hammerhead w/ Ion Cannon, Burst Cannons, Decoy Launchers, Multitracker
HS - Hammerhead w/ Ion Cannon, Burst Cannons, Decoy Launchers, Multitracker
HS - 3x Broadsides, 2x with Target Lock, 1x with Multitracker

Something like that, maybe?

The two Shas'O's will be very much "in your face" with their accurate, close ranged shooting. The two mobile Fire Warrior squads can capture objectives further away from the deployment zone, and be protected from most CC. The Kroot can help to drive off enemy Infiltrators. The Stealth Suits give you some more massed high-S firepower that can be useful, or to just capture objectives. The 4x Crisis Suits are "in your face" like the Shas'O's, and have accurate Plasma, as well as the Shield Generators to help them survive. The two Hammerheads w/ the Ion Cannons are there to just shoot as many Marines as they can, and the three Broadsides are your main anti-tank.

I'm not sure on points, so you may have to cut some stuff out (or be able to add more, I'm unsure!) but I would see that as a relatively effective anti-MEQ army. Hope this gives you an idea!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
With Oden On Our Side...
1,137 Posts
That list Nem made looks pretty good for beating all types of Marines.

The nice thing about Marine Speeders is that our troops can Pen. thier armor. He's probably going to power game and have as many LSTornado's as he can, all with Assault Cannon and Heavy Bolter, which is 7 Str 5-6 shots, AP4, with the 4 STR6 shots being Rending.

This sounds like it could easily be a Ravenwing Dark Angels army. You will definately have the numbers advantage, which should allow you to spread your fire effectively.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
If your friends are going to tool up and give you trouble, there is only one path to victory.

There is no point in me telling you this path, yet. It will spoil the fun. Just play with your tau, try everything, and see what you think works.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Another tactic i'm unsure about is using is the fish of fury, since my friends' armies will have no one with a save less than 3+ (just because that's how they wanted it). I was thinking about going heavy on suits instead, but I may just be underestimating the fish of fury.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts