Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, im a 40K guy, but this game has been calling to me lately. In 40K I played Tyranids, I loved them so much because of there unstopable melee (Genestealers, Brood Lord, ex.) So what I wanted to know is what is the closest thing to the CC side of Tyranids?

·
867 Posts
Probably a tie between Circle of Oboros and the Trollbloods, with the Trollbloods wining out for overall general pure physical force. The Circle has some units (Warpwolf!) and abilities though that when combined create very devastating melees.

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
Trollkin, no doubt about it. Circle has a few good units--Tharn Ravagers and Wolves of Orboros--but they're much more of a mixed-force, board control army. Trolls have the highest melee ability and durability of the Hordes and most of their buffs support melee specifically.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the Trolls are the best at CC, and most like Genestealers and Brood Lords? Im most likely going to play smaller games, so if theres a couple squads (Warpwolfs, Ravagers) in other armies that better at CC rather than a whole army, what would they be? Also, I heard somewhere that Legion was the most like nids?

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
Trollkin champions are probably the most powerful melee unit, especially when supported with Grissel Bloodsong and a Fell Caller. Tharn-themed Circle and a couple Legion builds are also effective. It's really a hard question to answer because there are a lot of force multipliers involved like spells and solo models.

The Legion has mini-warbeasts like the Shredder, which is probably what whoever was thinking of. On the whole, however, Legion is the Horde most focused on ranged combat, which isn't very Nid-like. I would say that Skorne are actually the closest to 40k Tyranids. They make heavy use of attrition tactics and have many abilities to either fight after death or benefit from casualties in other ways. They aren't that good in melee, however. (Although they do have, in my opinion, the best cavalry.)

Do be aware that melee in Hordes isn't the endgame that it is in 40k. Terrain, LOS issues and buffing can allow targets to be much more survivable than a 40k player might expect. There are also quite a few models that can simply walk away from melee at will. You might be better off picking a Horde whose models and fluff you enjoy and then building a melee juggernaut out of it. You will always be bringing a warlock and some warbeasts so look at those more than the other units to make a good decision.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Trollkin champions are probably the most powerful melee unit, especially when supported with Grissel Bloodsong and a Fell Caller. Tharn-themed Circle and a couple Legion builds are also effective. It's really a hard question to answer because there are a lot of force multipliers involved like spells and solo models.

The Legion has mini-warbeasts like the Shredder, which is probably what whoever was thinking of. On the whole, however, Legion is the Horde most focused on ranged combat, which isn't very Nid-like. I would say that Skorne are actually the closest to 40k Tyranids. They make heavy use of attrition tactics and have many abilities to either fight after death or benefit from casualties in other ways. They aren't that good in melee, however. (Although they do have, in my opinion, the best cavalry.)

Do be aware that melee in Hordes isn't the endgame that it is in 40k. Terrain, LOS issues and buffing can allow targets to be much more survivable than a 40k player might expect. There are also quite a few models that can simply walk away from melee at will. You might be better off picking a Horde whose models and fluff you enjoy and then building a melee juggernaut out of it. You will always be bringing a warlock and some warbeasts so look at those more than the other units to make a good decision.
Thanks for clearing that up bro. I think im starting to lean to the Tharn-themed Circle over the Trolls, just because I really like werewolfs. One more question, So if a fully melee themed Troll army were to fight a Tharn-themed Circle with Warpwolfs and Ravagers ex. and both players are getting the same rolls and have the same skill level, who do you think would most likely win?

Btw, is that your monitor in your pic? Its really nice looking.

·
running
1,274 Posts
One of the nice things about Hordes (and Warmachine) is that there is a lot more parity between armies. Answering the question "who would win" is a lot harder to do than it might be in 40k or Fantasy. A major contributing factor would be what warlock each player is running. The same combination of beasts, units, and solos plays totally differently with run different warlocks.

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
It would probably come down to terrain. Tharn in forests would be able to get the drop on Trollkin with the Tree Walker rule, which would cancel out the Champions' slight advantage in damage output. By contrast, in an open field Champions can generally pick up extra movement, which would swing the advantage back to Trolls. Between closely matched units, it usually comes down to who gets the charge.

Btw, is that your monitor in your pic? Its really nice looking.
Thanks! Sadly, no. My landlord doesn't allow pets, but I still think lizards are cool.

·
867 Posts
One of the nice things about Hordes (and Warmachine) is that there is a lot more parity between armies. Answering the question "who would win" is a lot harder to do than it might be in 40k or Fantasy. A major contributing factor would be what warlock each player is running. The same combination of beasts, units, and solos plays totally differently with run different warlocks.
Absolutely!

This allows you a great variety for your army. You can change up your rosters without handicapping yourself. Even typically ranged armies such as Legion, and in Warmachine Cygnar, can be fielded as effective melee forces.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh, ok thanks man. N thanks everyone. It sounds to me that the Trolls are a lil better at melee, but I dont like the idea of playing as big dumb slow monsters. Im gonna go with the Circle because I like the idea of anchient powerful forrest people, and I think wearwolfs are sick!

Btw, thats to bad man. I wanted to get a Black throat monitor, but im still not sure. I have a Tegu, and wanna get him a girl friend lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts