Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all , im a long time reader of the boards. ( i remember theese forums before riki took over =P), i have been out of 40k for a while just in time for 5th ed to come out infact. so here is my list, i have tried to make a few changes on what i feel might work in 5th ed.

1499 TOTAL

HQ
132 pts.
shas'EL PR/MP, HW-dc, HW-MT, TA, shield drone x2

ELITE
169 pts
XV-8 Team leader PR/MP, Bonding knife, HW-dc, HW-mt, TA, S-drone,G-drone.
XV-8 fireknife

169 pts
XV-8 Team leader PR/MP, Bonding knife, HW-dc, HW-mt, TA, S-drone,G-drone.
XV-8 fireknife

TROOPS
135 pts
'ui Bonding knife, HW-dc,carbine markerlight, M-drone
Fire warrior x7 rifle.

135 pts
Fire warrior x7 rifle.

135 pts
Fire warrior x7 rifle.

kroot---->Gue'va'sa ( i use Imp guard catachans for my kroot and some older GW rotweilers for hounds)
156 pts
kroot x 12
kroot hounds x 12

HEAVY
175pts
Railhead BC x2, black sun, pods, TL, MT

Railhead BC x2, black sun, pods, TL, MT

Broadside team leader, HW-dc S-drone x2, black sun, BASS

ok i set up like this because... i like the Fireknives for first turn transport popping, and turn 2+ heavy infantry detail.
the massed markerlight warriors i feel can do just as good as pathfinders and will double as scoring units. also the 'ui has a carbine because if hes standing still hes firing the markerlight, if hes moving he shoots the carbine.(also the poathfinders make great 'ui models if i set up this way =P) ok comment away , thanks in advance!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have some trouble being concise so please bear with me.

HQ and Elites: Fireknife was awesome...yes I said was, Firestorm is it's little brother which serves a greater purpose in 5th edition. No, it can't punch through armor like FK can, but it has more shots and this is a big advantage because in 5th edition it's all about forcing as many saves as you can because EVERYTHING gets cover. It's like a free invulnerable save that people hardly have to try to get entitled for. I've seen three units arranged in such a pattern that within 5th edition rules each unit received cover even when they were in the open field.

That said, for things as mobile as crisis suits, cover shouldn't be a problem, so the shield drone isn't as useful as say another gun drone for another shot every round.

Troops: I like that you use a 'ui and bonding knife, but the carbine is sorta a joke, pinning has always been hard to make stick and the decreased range and lack of rapid fire make it a poor choice. Also it's good to have this many scoring units, but you really need some way to get them to objectives, I'd suggest devilfish. Also the markerlight and markerlight drone will only be a hinderance to a unit that should be on the move most of the time, at least until they've secured and objective. I would cut the points here and between that and my other point saving suggestions (providing you don't pick up a devilfish or two) try to incorporate a sniper drone squad, it's cheaper than pathfinders, has stealth and a networked-markerlight.

Heavy: Hammerheads are good tanks, but if you want to use a railgun broadsides are a far more effective platform, they may have a slightly inferior BS because A.S.S. is so important for line of sight that you can't afford a targeting array, but they get to reroll misses and you'll only be using them for punching holes in armor and big baddies anyway. Shield drones ARE a good choice for this unit though, since they won't be able to secure cover. Also black sun is a bit superfluous when your unit comes with Acute Sense for free.

Hammerheads are better equipped with ion cannons, they don't scatter like the submunition of the railgun and they are more powerful. Remember more shots is more important than the most powerful shot nowadays because of the absurd cover saves in 5th edition. Plus they are cheaper, and that's always a plus!

Hope this helps,

~Kryos

·
Registered
28 Posts
Too many shield drones and not enough markerlights.
Contrary to popular belief (or misreading of the codex) Drone controllers don't have to take two drones, I'm assuming (probably incorrectly) that you didn't know this because gun drones are pretty useless in a fireknife squad (range differences and such).

Another thing about drones is that they adopt the type of the unit who takes them which means your marker drones are now counted as standard infantry thus losing the relentless rule.
This means that in order to use your marker drone the whole squad must remain stationary, you may as well buy a cheaper markerlight for the 'ui (which is still a bad idea IMO).
Why does the 'ui have a carbine? I don't get it.

Fire Warriors really have a hard time in 5th out in the open even when bonded. If you insist on keeping them on foot make sure you support them well and don't let them wander far from cover or the rest of your army. I would add some pathfinders and use their devilfish for the FWs (in 5th dedicated transports can do what they want), you can set this up with the scout move after deployment (read up on Tau deployment tactics).

In regards to your 'kroot' squad, you would be better off making two separate squads of kroot (10 each) and then adding in hounds with spare points.

Shield drones are 15pts each and marker drones are 30pts, for some perspective pathfinders are only 12pts each. I only ever use shield drones on broadsides (T4 2+ justifies their cost) your fireknives can use their assault jump for cover which means having drones in the unit is slightly counter-productive. I never use Marker drones anymore (and neither do a lot of people on here now that I think of it) because I've figured out how to manage markerlights with Pathfinders and the Skyray (if I take it). The only way I ever got use from them was when I chucked them with Fireknives or Stealths (another unit I've put away for a while) but overall they are too expensive; two pathfinders and a hound can fill that space.

Have a look at the other lists and try to figure out how to balance Pathfinders and Fire Warriors. IMO Pathfinders should be the mandatory unit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts