Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

First of all sorry if this is in the wrong thread/section! This is my first time on the forum. I'm a new player with a 1250 (approx) Space Marine army and I have played a handful of games at my local Games Workshop and have a pretty good grasp of the rules now. I painted my army before I started playing (they are painted in Ultramarine colours) but realised that Im not the kinda guy who wants to sit back and fire.

This is my army list at the moment, if anyone has any help on tactics, replacements and further additions it would be greatly appreciated!!

HQ - Chaplain in Terminator Armour

Elites - 10 Assault Terminators (5 with lightening claws,5 with thunder hammers)

Troops - 1 x 5 man tacital squad with Rhino
1 x 10 man tactical squard with flamer and missle launcher

Fast Attack - 10 Assault Marines - Sergeant with storm shield and power weapon, one marine with plasma pistol

Heavy Support - 1 Predator with Twin-Linked Lascannons and side Lascannons.

The Chaplain joins the terminators and holds the centre whilst the assault marines are deployed with the smaller tactical squad on one of the sides. The predator sits at the back and picks off any other heavy support choices.

What do you think? I have only played kill point games; i have won 1 lost 1 and drawn 1.

Cheers

·
Registered
341 Posts
first off terminators need to get into the thick of it quickly, you are talking 400 points just for the terminators then the chaplain on top of that. so you have a couple of choices,
either deepstrike (not the best option due to scatter and perils of the warp) or put them in a land raider.
Land raider is your best option AV14 all round, extra fire power and terminators can assault out of it so the enemy doesnt get a chance to shot them before the assualt.
you could also split them into two 5 man combat squads but that depends on what you want/need them to do,
Or another choice is take Kayvaan shrike put him with your assualt marines and he gives your entire army fleet, so you assualt marines and terminators will get into combat quickly.

2nd, if you have a 5 man tactical squad in a rhino why not pay the extra 5 points to take a razor back, keeps your mobility while offering some extra fire power.

Personally I dont like the all out lascannon predator, its alot of points for 3 lascannon shots, and they tend to attract a bit of attention, you could take a devistator squad and place them in cover, take lascannons and missile launchers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been thinking of a the next additions at Shrike was amonst them, apart from being a pretty cool model itself the fleet rule will help all of my assaulty squads get into combat asap. I like the razorback idea too, would you equip it with lascannons or heavy bolters?
A Devastator squad was also on my list of 'nexts additions' - and the predator does attract too much attention, the last 2 games i have been played its been rendered pretty much innefective in the 1st turn!

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
341 Posts
well for 5pts you get TL heavy bolter as standard on arazor back, but its up to you and what you want to use it for, the lascanno and tl Plasma gun is quite good because it counts as two weapons for weapon destroyed results. the one thing Ive noticed is you dont have much of heavy support to take out armour, and in your list the other thing best equipped to take on tanks are the thunder hammer terminators but they aren't very mobile,
So if I were you I would focus on getting the mobility into your army and getting more versitile heavy support.

Also you could try a couple of things, drop the assualt marines and instead have vanguard veterans, keep them in reserves and take advantage of their heoric intervention rule as long as you dont join an independant character with them.
OR
Use a Blood angels list, as they are very Close combat focused, although money/time/etc has more to play with that

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After my 2nd game I wished that I hadnt painted all my marines as Ultramarines! Those Vanguard Vet's look pretty mean, I wouldnt mind getting some of those in my list.
Mobility has been a problem in the few games that I have had; my terminators got taken apart by tau without even getting close to them but if i could get them in a Land Raider I could get one lot of 5 nearer to any enemy units/vehicles i need to get rid of quickly.
I think playing a couple more games will help me figure out what I need.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
After my 2nd game I wished that I hadnt painted all my marines as Ultramarines! Those Vanguard Vet's look pretty mean, I wouldnt mind getting some of those in my list.
Nothing stopping you from taking Vanguard Veterans in an Ultramarines force.
Kinda curious as to what you think prevents that.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I think he is referring to my suugestion of playing a BA list because he wants a combat based list,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think he is referring to my suugestion of playing a BA list because he wants a combat based list,
Thats the one! Im going to keep the Blood Angels in mind whilst I get a few more games under my belt (and my next pay day :p). However I have included vanguard veterans in a game that i am playing tomorow. I was going to equip 2 with plasma pistols but if i plan on using heroic intervention and getting straight into combat is there any real use of having them?

·
Registered
341 Posts
well in theory taking plasma pistols isn't any use if you plan on using heoric intervention as you will deep strike and assualt,

*HOWEVER*
deepstrike scatters so you could easily scatter outside of assualt range, which means that the turn your veterans arrive they can't do anything but you will then be able to move, shoot and assualt the next turn.

So taking plasma pistols is still useful especially as hopefully your veterans will be in more than one assualt in a game, so they will get a chance to fire between assualts.

but just bear in mind in a 5 man squad two plasma pistols could be slightly risky because you could potentially loss 2 of your squad before they do anything thanks to the "gets hot" rule.

·
Registered
111 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts