Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, we've already got a Rhino, Razorback, Chimera, Basilisk, Salamander, Hammerhead, Predator, Piranha, Falcon, and other monstrous names for tanks so I need one for this - was thinking of something like a Carnivore or something like that...help me out!

Anyway, this is a pre-emptive strike on the new rules that are rumoured, so it might not make a lot of sense right away, but this is a small transport tank based on the Rhino Chassis for CSM's and SM's bristling with S4 defensive weapons so it can move 12" and still fire every thing.

Front: 12
Side: 11
Rear: 10
BS: 4

Smoke Launchers, Searchlight.
2 sponson mounted twin linked flamers, each with a storm bolter on top.
2 pintle mounted storm bolters.
Dozer Blade.

Can transport 6 models in power armour.
Is an assault vehicle so disembarking troops can assault.
may have extra armour, HKM, PotMS etc etc

Going off the DA and CSM codex I've worked out the cost thusly: Rhino - 35, 4 Storm Bolters - 20, 2(4) Flamers - 20, Dozer Blade - 5(?) = 80 points.
Balanced out the extra front armour with reduced transport capacity.

What do you think?

Any good? no good?
C&C as always welcome :)

·
Wher dat naked blue chik?
1,646 Posts
I think you might want to remove the individual points costs. Also the transport capacity is quite small. Only a fully tooled out veteran squad could make good use from that.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Ok, we've already got a Rhino, Razorback, Chimera, Basilisk, Salamander, Hammerhead, Predator, Piranha, Falcon, and other monstrous names for tanks so I need one for this - was thinking of something like a Carnivore or something like that...help me out!
I have an idea:

Carnodon - A name of a beastie from the Dan Abnett novels Eisenhorn trilogy books. Basically its a saber-toothed tiger; a giant wildcat. Athough nearly exctinct at the time, Eisenhorn and his retinue are pitted against such creatures in an arena, and one of his followers gets pretty messed up. Either way, it could be a slight nod to Mr. Abnett for his contributions to the 40K lore. (If you haven't read it, immediately take a S6 hit with no invulnerable save! ;) )

Smoke Launchers, Searchlight.
2 sponson mounted twin linked flamers, each with a storm bolter on top.
2 pintle mounted storm bolters.
Dozer Blade.

Can transport 6 models in power armour.
Is an assault vehicle so disembarking troops can assault.
may have extra armour, HKM, PotMS etc etc
Flamers, interesting choice; I'd be glad to see more types of these vehicles on the battlefield. But why not upgrade them to Heavy Flamers? They're still under S7, and as such would be able to move and fire without penalty. Load them up with Pintle-Mount Storm Bolter, Extra Armor, and Dozer Blades; you'll have a good cover-clearing transport. This tank's job is to charge into enemy cover, flame them, and disperse your skirmishers within the cover, negating having to charge into cover. Basically, a really big and expensive frag grenade. LOL.

One point I would like to make: I like the 6 model limit. Fluff dictates that the fuel for the Heavy Flamers has to be stored somewhere, and ruleswise it would deter someone from trying to be cheezy. While an effective offensive transport, you do ahve some minuses you have to work around.

I think points costs need a bit of reworking, but that'll come with playtesting.

Hope that helped!

·
Blood Axe
526 Posts
Hmm, this vehicle is 10 points more than a razorback, yet substantially better. Sure, you eschew a TL heavy bolter, but pick up 4 storm bolters, 2 flamers, better armor, and make it an assault transport. Something tells me it's too cheap.

Or, compare it to a Chimera, which has the same front armor, but worse side armor. That would be the same points, but at a worse BS, and still fewer weapons, & can't assault out of it.

I think you'd be looking at almost 100 for that.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I was thinking the same thing as gorefang... but all those storm bolters on it seems pushing it a bit. Reminds me a lot of the witch hunter immolater but more burny. In fact it pretty much is an immolator with assault hatches and slighty better front armor.

·
2,076 Posts
Try

ScaryNameTank 100 points
Type Tank
-F--S--R-BS
12 10 10 4
Weapons: 2 Storm Bolters, Frag Launcher, Assault Hatch
Options. May exchange both storm bolters for 2 flamethrowers for free.
May buy extra armour for 15 points.
Capacity: 6 models.
Firepoints: None
Access points: 2 side hatches and frontal assault ramp.
(If passengers are forced to disembark out of the sides they do not get the benefit of assault ramp or frag launcher)

·
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers for the replies.

Actually the cost is 30 MORE than a Razorback based on the DA codex, which I presume is the way the new SM codex will have it listed also. I used the most recent example of a rhino to work out my points.

Also, in the new rules (see the big 5th ed thread) defensive weapons are S4 or less, thats why no heavy flamers.

Chimeras also cost more as you have to give them at least one weapon, likely two, and my tank can only carry 6 men, not 12.

I decided against 10 men because it is basically an inverted razorback - sponsons instead of a turret.

What about this then:
Same stats, but 2 storm bolters and 2 twin linked flamers for 80pts. Over twice the cost of a rhino, almost half as much again on top of a razor.

Maybe scrap the extra front AV point for automatic Extra Armour?

·
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also, Frag Launchers on non terminator carrying transports are useless, as all new marines and chaos come with frag grenades as standard, and I fully expect the new Space Marine codex to follow suit.

·
Blood Axe
526 Posts
Figure the armor 12 or the extra armor is worth 15 points
Figure the assault ramp is worth 15 points
Each storm bolter is...5?
Each twin linked flamer is...10?

So that's 30 + 10 + 20 = 60, added to a razorback is 115 (Can't remember, new razorback is 55?), minus the TL-heavy bolter so it'd be 100.

·
The Biker Marine
1,618 Posts
Going by the VDR, you would probably pay more as they make you "overpay" for everything to stop "cheesy" designs. Not going by the printed VDR rules make such design even less likely to be playable in pickup games. Overall though, I like the idea of your tank, think you should stick with the flamers and 6 transport cap.

·
The Alchemist
699 Posts
I would give it two or more forwards firing heavy flamers (you shouldn't need to aim, think of it as a battering ram) and an assault ramp. You don't need a frag launcher, as terminators can't use it.

Edit: Wtf am I on about, I mean SM squads don't need it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
if the modle is based on the rino then no terminators can be transported, right?
if it has assault ramp then it can't have dozer blades as thay both use the frunt of the transport

·
Archmagos
904 Posts
Since its primarily meant for assault units, I think that it should have extra armor already included in the cost. I feel the higher front AV should stay though.

if the modle is based on the rino then no terminators can be transported, right?
if it has assault ramp then it can't have dozer blades as thay both use the frunt of the transport
Not necessarily, that's just how the codex units, and this one, work. If someone wanted to, I'm sure they could say that the rhino-based vehicle has an expanded troop compartment to allow for some terminators.

Yes it can have dozer blades. If you've read the SM codices, you'll find that Land Raiders, which have a forward assault ramp, can still take dozer blades.
Maybe the front ramp is built into them, in a similar style to the Forge World IG Gorgon's front. (Hmm, it actually sounds like a good idea... :?)

·
Registered
479 Posts
You'll have to be careful about the placement of those heavy / flamers. Remember that you have to get out infront of said vehicle before the shooting phase. So you may possibly pwn yourself.

I think you should stick with side armour 11, that's what the Rhino Chassis has afterall. I think Armour 12 on the front is acceptable, though it'd definately have to increase the points cost by a substantial amount. Perhaps the extra armour for free idea instead.

Ohh, and to take a tip from the assault vehicle SM already have, the crusader, why not consider swapping those heavy flamers with hurricane bolters. Plus, if you rip off the crusader, you could take a knightly-ish name instead of the 'big 'ol scary beast' name. Like a paladin (that's a type of Titan already unfortunately I think).

F S R BS
12 11 10 4

Type: Tank, Assault Vehicle
Weapons, 2 Sponson Mounted Hurricane Bolters, Frag Assault Launchers
Transport: 6

Yeahh.... hurricane bolters are awesome. Think of the carnage!!! *imagines running two of these full of veterans into a conscript platoon*

·
Tyranid Warrior Fanatic
2,668 Posts
*takes a s6 hit with no saves allowed* Ouch...

One thing about this is it should cost less than a predator (or on par with one). It shouldn't cost significantly more- this thing wouldn't be worth it at 100 points.

The dozer blade and assault ramp are good, along with the AV 12 front armour. I consider that and the flamers the main points you wanted to make about it.

So what I was thinking was:

"Paladin" (I liked that name from the post above- its in theme sorta)
Front: 12 Side: 11 Back: 10
Weapons: 2 tl'd sponson flamers or 2 storm bolter sponsons each with 2 stom bolters (so 4 total)
Access points: Front assault ramp, back (no sides due to sponsons)
Firepoints: 0
Transport: 6
Extra: extra armour, dozer blade
Upgrades: Pintel mounted stormbolter, hunter-killer, machine spirit, searchlights, smoke bombs
Points: 85 (It shouldn't cost more than this- I would say start removing thing rather than make it cost more than this if it seems to good, which it doesn't to me)

·
Wher dat naked blue chik?
1,646 Posts
Points: 85 (It shouldn't cost more than this- I would say start removing thing rather than make it cost more than this if it seems to good, which it doesn't to me)
I'd disagree. If anything it should cost more. If this were a real tank people would just buy it for anti horde armies, and not for the transporting. 4 storm bolters and 2 flamers... well if you add the cost for squad upgrades to have this, it would cost half of the tank, so no points were really spent on the transport part. For your 85 you get 6 assault weapons, for cheaper than the same amount of weapons on troops.

·
Registered
170 Posts
My only complaint is that it only carries 6 power-armored troops. Not much of an assault with only 6 guys, unless they were berserkers or an HQ + Retinue.
Black templar might be efficient in it, but there would definitly have to be an emperor's champion with them.

5 marines all with bolt pistol and close combat weapon,1 with power weapon, and an Emperor's champion storming out of that might be a force to be reconed with.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.