Librarium Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a thread dedicated to those frequent questions that crop up from time to time. If you are a veteran player and want to contribute a question/answer, please do! If you are a new player and you have a question about how the Tau Empire works, post it here!

Please post ONLY in the following manner!

Question: Put your question here! (You may abbreviate Question with Q.) Please make sure to include a reference to your answer.

And, if you are posting a Q&A both, please post the answer like the following. Note: please include the original question!

Answer: Put your answer here! (You may abbreviate Answer with A.)

Posts not posted in this layout WILL be edited if not deleted, so please keep this in mind!

As singular questions (i.e., not Q&A posts) are answered, the original posts with the question(s) will be deleted so the thread doesn't become cluttered up, leaving only the Q&A posts. So if your post disappears, this is why.

NOTE: Please keep in mind that this is meant for rules and generic FAQ questions and clarifications ONLY. Posts asking about how useful a unit it, or tactics questions, should not be posted.

Disclaimer: Please note that many posts including questions have been and will be deleted to reduce the clutter of this thread, so the people answering the questions are not necessarily always going to be the ones who posed them in the first place.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
779 Posts
I'll get the ball rolling.

Q. I keep seeing names like "Helios, Deathrain, Fireknife and Centurion," but I can't see these written in the codex anywhere.

A. The names written above are names that have been given to Crisis suits with various different weapon configurations. There are a plethora of different names though the four written above are four of the most common and their different configurations are as follows.

Helios - Fusion Blaster, Plasma Rifle, Multi Tracker
Deathrain - Twin Linked Missile Pods, Targetting Array
Fireknife - Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Multi-Tracker
Centurion - Cyclic Ion Blaster, Plasma Rifle, Multi-tracker

Dave

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Question: Can I take 2 of the same weapon on a crisis suit separately? Or do they have to be twinlinked?

Answer: They have to be twinlinked.

Question: What is the independent character rule?

Answer: If an enemy unit wants to target an independent character who is not part of a unit, it must be the closest target to do so. If it is not the closest target, the unit may not shoot at it, it may not even attempt to pass a target priority test.

If an independent character is part of a unit, it is still an independent character, but most people say it has lost "IC status". What they mean is that the unit he has joined (he and drones form a unit) may be shot at with a passed target priority test (if they're not the closest).

·
Registered
238 Posts
Q: When drones from Piranha squads detach do they form one big unit, or seperate units of 2?
A: They form one big unit.

Q: Do drones remove my HQ's independant character status?
A: Yes, but only for targeting purposes, the HQ may still join and leave units.

Q: Do drones count toward maximum number of troops that can fit in a Devilfish? Or in other words, can my Devilfish hold 12 Fire Warriors + 2 Drones?
A: The drones count as models when determining unit size. This includes maximum transport size and morale checks.

·
The deep down truth
5,714 Posts

Q: Do drones remove my HQ's independant character status?
A: Yes

Sorry this is untrue, as Onlainari stated if a Tau IC takes controlled drones they form a unit, this unit can be shot at if a target priority test is passed, if the IC and drones are not the closest unit.

For all other intents and purposes (assaults, joining and leaving units etc) the commander/etheral is an independent character, the only thing that totally removes IC status is bodyguards and this is only until the BG are destroyed, when this happens the IC status is once agian regained.

·
The deep down truth
5,714 Posts
Q: If you elect to rapid fire with pulse rifles, is the rapid fire range 15"

A: No the rapid fire rule clearly states that rapid fire range is 12", this applies to any and every rapid fire weapon, including pulse rifles and the Kroot gun.

Q: Can I take 3 of the same weapons on an XV8

A: No the codex states that 3 of the same weapons may never be taken on an XV8.

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
The deep down truth
5,714 Posts
Question: Do unused markerlight hits last multiple turns (as per the wording the codex) or do unused markerlights expire at the end of each turn and GW just screwed up the entry?

Answer: Case of wishful thinking methinks there bud, it says they remain until the end of the current Tau shooting phase, or until they are used, this means that any marker token that is used is removed, if any are not used then the are lost at the end of the current current Tau shooting phase.

The first part of the sentence is pretty explanatory in that it says 'the end of the current shooting phase'

Basically you:

1. Shoot the marker lights.

2. Any successful hits are placed as counters against the targeted unit.

3. So if you have 3 hits you place 3 tokens.

4. You declare a single marker light benefit for an individual token.

5 You remove a token when you use each individual benefit (I/E if your upping the BS of a unit by 2, you remove two tokens after you declare the unit is going to go for the increased BS)

6. If you want to use the tokens to reduce cover saves or Leadership from pinning against the unit targeted by the BS boosted Tau unit, then this also has to be declared in the shooting phase.

7 So if you have 3 tokens and you must decide how many are going to be used by a unit and what benefits are going to be used, if any tokens are left then these can be used by another Tau unit (using the same rules above)

8. Any tokens that have not been utilised and subsequently removed are removed at the end of the Tau players shooting phase.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Team Leader vrs. other upgrade

Question: It some cases the codex isn't as specific, and I don't want to rob myself of any points here. Would a Shas'ui team leader's Ld. be used for the entire squad?

Answer: The Ld. of the Shas'ui is used for the entire squad unless the Shas'ui is killed, then the unit reverts back to its normal Leadership value.

Question: If you give a team leader a marker light and multi-tracker can he shoot two weapons?

Answer: Yes, if given a hard-wired Multitracker he can shoot both the Pulse Rifle (or Carbine) and the Markerlight both, so long as the model hasn't moved (as the ML counts as a Heavy weapon).

·
The deep down truth
5,714 Posts
Question: "Whenever an immobilised result is rolled on the Glancing Hit Vehicle Damage Table..."

Considering this doesn't help for pen. or ord. pen. this seems to decrease the value of Decoys largely.

Have I misread the codex? (do they effect pen. ect..) or do a lot of light weapons score enough glancing hits to make these essential?

Answer: Well seeing as any skimmer that moves automatically downgrades any penetrating hit to a glancing, then decoys are a good upgrade, because when a skimmer moves any immobilised result destroys it, the re-roll gives it a chance to survive.

If the vehicle has not moved then immobilised does not destroy it so the re-roll is pointless as it could end up destroying the vehicle rather than just immobilising it.

Read the rules for skimmers and you will understand why decoys are a must have.

Question: If you have 1 model left in a squad, does that 1 model still have to regroup? Or are bonding knifes on a 2 man or 3 man battlesuit squad pointless?

Answer: If a squad is reduced to one survivor then the remaining model has to take a last man standing test, they have to pass a leadership test at the start of every Tau turn from then on, if they pass they carry on as normal (moving, shooting as normal etc).
if they fail they fall back and next turn they test again.

This is why battlesuit squads are sometimes a bad idea, the only time I ever take squads is with Deathrains and then I only take 2 man squads, they can stay at range which makes it easier to keep them safe, otherwise I always take lone (Monat) XV8 choices as they never have to test for fall back.

·
The deep down truth
5,714 Posts
Question: In a sniper drone team, does the spotters BS effect the drones or, what is his purpose (networked-markerlight)?

Answer: The spotter is equipped with a networked markerlight, this means he can generate a single markerlight token, this token can be used by another Tau unit to gain ay of the usual marker light bonuses, or it can be used by the sniper drones to enhance their BS by +1, or modify LDS of the targeted unit for pinning purposes or reduce cover saves or to negate the night fight rule.

If the markerlight token is used by another unit the sniper drones use their base ballistic skill.

It should also be noted that if the three drones target seperate units (using their target locks) then only one drone can use the marker light token, if the token was used to improve the BS then only one drone could use the improved BS, the other two would be at base BS.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Question: Just a clarification, the wording for "Rapid Fire" confuses me a little, am I right in thinking that as long as the unit sits still it can fire at max range but as long as the target is within 12" it can move AND fire twice?

Answer: When the unit has not moved, it may fire once up to its maximum range or twice within 12" (rapid fire range). If the unit moves, it may only fire up to 12" in rapid fire range, and may fire twice.

·
The deep down truth
5,714 Posts
Question #1: When equipping Stealth Suits with drones (of any sort), a wound (after saves) can be given to a drone (removing one model) instead of the suit with a drone controller (which could result in removing 1-3 models), correct?

Answer #1: If the drones are shield drones then you can remove a drone as they all share the same toughness and armour save, however if they are gun drones or marker drones then the rules for mixed armour have to be followed. If the stealths out number the drones then the stealths are the majority and have to take saves first, so this can result in losing the stealth and any drones the stealth casualty controls.
Luckily drones share the same toughness as stealths so this is not an issue.

Question #2: While playing against a Dark Eldar player, my opponent claimed that the haywire damage chart overrides the skimmer rule. The rulebook states that any hits which beat the armor value of a skimmer with the skimmer rule in effect are automatically reduced to glancing hits, but haywire grenades do not roll to beat the armor value, they just roll for nothing/glancing/penetrating. Do haywire grenades actually override the skimmer rule or does the skimmer rule win out?

Answer #2: No the entry for haywire grenades says that the attacking model has one attack and if it HITS then a D6 is rolled to determine whether it causes a glancing or penetrating hit, if it causes a penetrating hit then it is downgraded to a glancing by the skimmer rule, also it will require a 6 to hit as well.
Your friends idea is actually stupid as the haywire grenade actually beats the armour value of the vehicle by default

Question #3: If the answer to the above question is "Yes, haywires override the skimmer rule", doesn't that also mean EMPs also override the rule since they work the same way but just don't glance/penetrate as well?

Answer #3: No, as explained the skimmer rule still applies as the grenades have beaten the armour value if they hit by default. To do damage the grenade has to hit and beat the armour.

·
391 Posts
what riki said about skimmers is 100% correct. The only thing that overrides it is AP1.

and here is a question riki.

In Kill teams. Do drones taken with a drone controller count as one the members of the kill team or as wargear.

·
The deep down truth
5,714 Posts
what riki said about skimmers is 100% correct. The only thing that overrides it is AP1.
Actually AP1 does not overide it, as long as the skimmer has moved enough to qualify for the downgrade to glancing benefit then any penetrating hit (even auto pen AP1) is counted as glancing.

GW have answered this in their official FAQ and I have provided the link below, it basically says all AP1 hits on a skimmer moving over 6" are classed as glancing, debate over.

http://uk.games-workshop.com/news/errata/assets/40k/40KRuleBookFAQ.pdf

and here is a question riki.

In Kill teams. Do drones taken with a drone controller count as one the members of the kill team or as wargear.
Will have to read up on this and get back to you, but I guess wargear is wargear but I can see this getting complicated as drones do make up brute squads, mmm interesting.

·
391 Posts
Actually AP1 does not overide it, as long as the skimmer has moved enough to qualify for the downgrade to glancing benefit then any penetrating hit (even auto pen AP1) is counted as glancing.
Every single redshirt and rulesboy ive talked to has said AP1 overrides skimmer rules. But lord knows you cant trust a redshirt.

·
Herald of Chaos
834 Posts
Every single redshirt and rulesboy ive talked to has said AP1 overrides skimmer rules. But lord knows you cant trust a redshirt.
Eh, I find that unlikely, ap1 rule just says they can only get penetrating hits, meaning that if they need 4's to glance they will always pen on a 4+. The skimmer rule should take over as would hull down and smoke launchers. Its a "if you do this then only this can happen" effect. The ap1 rule is just in matters where there are no other effects that would limit it to glancing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
P. 66 of the big rule book specifically states that AP 1 shots can still be reduced back to glancing according to the Obscured Target and Glancing Hits heading on P. 68. Skimmers are included in the P. 68 rules, thus meaning that AP 1, in fact, does NOT override the skimmer rule. Any redshirt claiming otherwise needs to actually check the rules (or have someone show him the actual rules).

1 - 20 of 98 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.