Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about wrighting a Codex for a tau army that uses all firewarrios or variants of them. As was wondering if anyone was interested about it at all, or enough so as to help me fluff-wise and Balance wise.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I would be very interested in this. I don't think *all* FWs is really practical, but I would like to see a Tau sept that relied on them alot more.

There is a very long thread about options for making firewarriors stronger a little ways down that I started, it's called something like "Should FWs have a higher BS?"

In it I mention how it would be nice to have a special group of Tau with more elite firewarriors. I'm assuming you'd want better firewarriors for your new army idea right? If you stuck with all regular FWs you'd probably get hosed alot I think. :eek:

·
Registered
849 Posts
Why not give some of the FW's Heavy weapon options.....Or maybe even small converted jump packs for them....Wouldn't that be cool? But Special FW's would be a MUST in this kind of an army.....

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
wat about the new rail rifles...couldnt u write up some rules with eqiping then with rail rifles? even if they cant hold it up(not up to date on tau fluff) then wat about stands like the imp guard have for heavy bolters and such. i see many a conveting ideas popping in and out of my head.

·
Registered
353 Posts
They would be able to wield rail rifles, (pathfinders are no stronger than firewarriors, to my knowledge), and frankly I don't know what the fluff says about rail rifles.

I guess there is some idea that the Tau restrict the "good" weapons to the higher ranks, and that's why everybody doesn't use a rail rifle. Pathfinders are the same rank as FWs though, so again I'm not really sure.

I do think some heavy wpns for the FWs could be one way to go, though frankly I think their weapons are pretty good as is. I think allowing units of entirely pulse carbines would be one good move, (the 1/2 rule is a real pain in the arse, it prevents the firewarriors from being an effective mobile force, as they should be), as well as mixing up the regular FWs to make em more powerful, either through modified stats or weapons.

If you're into CC, (though I don't think it fits with the fluff), you could probably concoct some cool new tricks to turn the FWs into more capable CC fighters. Pulse pistols could increase their str in HtH, etc.

·
Registered
849 Posts
The Railrifles would be a good addition to an all FW army......almost a must!! Maybe even do the whole Carbine Squad thing would be nice too...........Finally!! Assault worthy Tau!!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'v thinking about rail rifles in a unit. Also like Ion cannon, and Railgun pods. They kinda work like the trollie the imperial guard use but instead of wheel i think anti- grav pod around it wouldbe tau fluff fitting and have it floating. And i love that whole unit pulse carbine idea. Maybe give the option for small jump packs for the squad. What about a transport that was open topped so the unit could fire out of it, or would be against the fluff. As for regular troops i was gonna use the +1 bs ss doctrine -1 ws, -1 i 12 pts idea. And as for the HtH idea i would think that it would be against the fluff and bring cheese sniffers from all around, so instead i though of a rule something like kickback were instead on normal hth they can kick back their opponet and shoot if equiped with a pistol.

Thanks for the ideas and keep them coming.

·
Registered
353 Posts
You could introduce a special rule for the tau that allowed them to shoot into CC, (the kickback thing sounds hard to explain to me).

But what if they could just stand with a front row and a row further back, but the second row didn't have to engage in CC? They're trained as marksmen first, after all, so maybe they can have a special doctrine that allows them to choose not to pile on in CC, but instead to shoot in to help their team-mates?

That way your FW squad would still suffer bloodily, but if the first row could hold em back then the other rows could help out from range?

Or... rules that allow some units of FWs to move out CC, (but no rule for shooting into it), so that they can choose to leave a unit to stall but the other units can retreat?

Or... Special rules for gun drones that can shield the FWs? The Gun drones could wall for the FWs, but they could jump out of CC as I mentioned above, (easier to explain, fluff wise, as the drones are small and jump pack equipped), allowing the FWs to shoot into the unit that turn.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was also thinking about Sniper warriors :D . And maybe Drones with marker light on oneside and a seeker on the other side.

·
Registered
849 Posts
They already have a Gun Drone with a Marker light butas far as i know......It is armed with a Burst cannon.....But the Sniper Warriors would be *****ing evil! I mean just increase their BS and give them longer range weapons with the Kroot filed advantage and they will kick some ass!!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This kinda along the line of what i was thinking for the sniper

Sniper

Ws Bs S T W I A Ld Sv
2 5 3 3 1 2 1 8 4+

Weapon: Tau Sniper Rifle, Markerlight
Wargear:Sniper Suit, shield generator,Multi tracker

Special Rules
Sniper Suit- Enimies must test to see if they can see you using night fight rules.

Tau Sniper Rifle: Range-unlimited S6 Ap2 *

*may only target units that have been marked
:D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
849 Posts
Dude.....Thats *****ing evil.....Its gonna cost a shitload of points thou or no one will let you field that *****..... And the squads have to be small or non-exisistant, make them a character or allow them to be fielded with FWs. But, as soon as you get the points cost, I might borrow the rules for my Tau army.....Is that Okay with you??

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was thinking making them a 0-1 elite choise with squad:1-3
But they dont have to be placed together
And itsperfectlyfine to use them in your codex.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Your welcome, and deffintaily tell me how it goes, and please post pic. I need ideas on how to convert one.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Ya I think that's a cool idea. Makes for a good way to work markerlights in.

Might wanna add some fieldcraft abilities like vampiric said before though.

The unlimited range is a good way to compensate I guess, but you could also work out a shorter range but allow them to shoot out of dense woods, (i.e. past 6")

That would be wicked, though probably even more expensive. :a :blink: :ph34r:

·
Registered
849 Posts
The Fieldcraft would make them kick ass even more, but might be included as an upgrade for lets say 25 points? As for the expensiveness.....If you think about it, there damn worth it!! Unlimited range with a Markerlight? Come on!!!!

·
Registered
849 Posts
Yes!! I have perfected the rules for you, exploited!! Let me know what you think!! The Snipers will be counted as Elites choices when fielded in a Tau army. Here they are!!:

0-1 Tau Sniper Team

WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv
2 5 3 3 1 2 1 8 4+

Squad: 1-3 Snipers at 75 points each

Equipment: Pulse Sniper Rifle, Markerlight, Shield Generator

Independent units: The Tau Snipers do not need to be placed together at deployment and may move separately throughout the game.

Sniper suit: The Tau Snipers wear a suit very similar to that of the XV 15 Stealth-suits and follow all of the same rules.

Pulse Sniper Rifle: Range: Unlimited S:7 AP:2 Type: Assault 1
The Sniper may only use its Sniper Rifle at a unit or model that has been marked by a Markerlight.

Field-craft: The Tau Snipers are experts at adjusting their techniques to that of their environment. Therefore, the Snipers may ignore all Difficult Terrain tests of only ONE type of terrain on the field (Forests, Jungles, Rock faces, etc.). In this case, Jungles and Forests do not count as one type of terrain. Either one or the other may be chosen, not both! Also, in the case of Forests and Jungles, the Snipers may see 12� into them and shoot as normal. Cost: 25 points per model.

I removed the Multi Tracker just to keep it more fair to non-Tau players....I mean, I don't think the Sniper would have time to Shoot and then Mark another unit, you know? Comments please!!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Originally posted by Vampiric_Drake8@Oct 18 2003, 18:58
As for the expensiveness.....If you think about it, there damn worth it!! Unlimited range with a Markerlight? Come on!!!!
I didn't say they shoudln't be expensive, I was just saying that you would have to make em even more expensive to add the field craft.

I think 25 pts would be too much, (that's alot of points... I would only pay that if I was using a table with lots and lots of forests), but I agree that a price increase would be needed.

In reality, I think this idea rubs on the rail rifles too much. What this should really be imo, is a proposed upgrade to the rail rifle, (and pathfinders), not a whole new unit/weapon all together.

·
Registered
849 Posts
As for the removing of the MultiTracker, that was stupid!! I just realized thar without it, they can't shoot at all!! But yea, let's lower that Upgrade to lets say 15 points? But as for the "railrifle" upgrade, I think that the Tau do need a specific model for a sniper, as the Railrifles can only be in a Pathfinder squad at the moment.....But I will convert the Sniper and post his doings in a battle....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.