Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone my friend has just recently got me into 40k and i could use your opinion on my army list it would be greatly appreciated.

HQ
Lelith Hesperax
Elite
10x Incubi w/Klaive w/Demiklav
Troops
10x Warriors w/ Sybarite w/Dark Lance
10x Warriors w/ sybarite w/ Splinter Cannon
10x Warriors w/ Sybarite w/ Splinter Cannon
Transport
2x Raiders w/ Flicker Fields, Splintrack
Heavy
Voidraven Bomber
1 Implosion
2 Necrotoxin
1 Mono
Talos Pain Engine w/ Heatlance

misc.
Aegis wall

I would greatly appreciate your help on this and any constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated .

·
Registered
303 Posts
The first thing you want to ask yourself is what are you going for. This list is kind of all over the place. It looks like you're going for a more static set up which does not play to ANY Dark Eldar stengths. Just about everyone is tougher than you and many shooting armies can out range you. The few tough units we do have (Grotesques, wracks, talos) are all CC focused so even then you need to be thinking mobile.

I'm going to break down your current list and give you my thoughts. I might come off as a little harsh but you should remember this is your army and if you want some footslogging Incubi you certainly can put them in there!

HQ
Lelith Hesperax
Costs too much, does too little. If you ever do take her she MUST have a transport. You probably want to put her with a unit too, either incubi, wyches, or blood brides. Really though, a geared out Archon isn't going to go over 130. That's 70 points you can put into something else! Almost a whole ravager!

Elite
10x Incubi w/Klaive w/Demiklav
Incubi are awesome. 10 of them is usually overkill and too many points in one place. If you really want a lot of them I suggest taking two units of 5 and drop the squad leader. Too many points, not enough gain. Also, they MUST have a transport. I'd suggest a venom with an extra Splinter Cannon. They can then move 30" with a turboboost move and you have a vehicle with 12 point shots.

Troops
10x Warriors w/ Sybarite w/Dark Lance
10x Warriors w/ sybarite w/ Splinter Cannon
10x Warriors w/ Sybarite w/ Splinter Cannon
Transport
2x Raiders w/ Flicker Fields, Splintrack
I assumed your warriors w/ the splinter cannons were taking the raiders. 3 units of troops at 1350 points isn't a lot. You may want to consider taking more. I'm quite fond of 5 warriors w/ blaster in a venom. 10 in a raider is viable as well. Also, if you need more anti-tank 5 wyches with haywire grenades in a venom are awesome!

Never take 10 warriors with a darklance. Too many points, not enough utility. 3 Trueborn with 2 Darklances is 86 points. Much more cost effective.

Heavy
Voidraven Bomber
1 Implosion
2 Necrotoxin
1 Mono
Personally I think the Voidraven is too spendy when compared to the Razorwing, though that is a personal preference. I'd only put missiles on if I had spare points I didn't know what else to do with.

Talos Pain Engine w/ Heatlance
Talos are slow. Most DE things are fast. If you want to run talos you probably should have at least 2 and then build your list around them. They can be very good as they're tough and great fire magnets, but they often end up left in the dust.

Also, ravagers are awesome! 105 points for 3 str 8 ap 2 lance shots or 9 str 5 ap 2 shots? And it can move 12" and fire them all? And it can still turboboost for up to 30"? Yeeaahhhh!

Aegis wall
As I mentioned before, DE are a mobile force. Aegis was is a static defense. Some people will take it with an AA gun to take out flyers, which is an OK use. Now we have access to awesome Eldar allies though who can do a much better job of AA for fewer points. I hear wave serpents (their transports) can be really good for taking out flyers, plus there are warwalkers which are amazing.

I'd suggest you take some time and really think of the kind of tactics and combat you want to do. It looks like you're trying to take a little bit of a lot of things and it isn't likely to end well. I'd suggest you read a few battle reports from DE players, you can get a feel for how different lists work and what you might like. Mushkilla has a ton up on The Dark City with a lot of different lists. I've been playing for 8 years and reading his reports showed me a number of new tricks.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I agree with most all the points EternalEther makes above. But here is my advice for someone new to 40K, let alone the DE: you should start at a smaller point level and learn through experimentation how you want to play/build the army. I would start at 500, maybe 750 points, and build from there in order to understand how the DE units work and what works best for you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you all very much for the advice I do not think it is harsh its just true. I shall try with a smaller point army first and try for the smaller squads. I appreciate the help I will try making a small point list to see if I get the hang of it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you want an effective Dark Eldar force here are *some* hints:

-Transports are EVERYTHING, it's what make's us.
-Dark lances aren't that good on warriors.. I'd say take a blaster and splinter cannon or just the cannon. -Or five man and take one blaster.
-Ravangers and Razorwings are our solid heavy support slots. The other choices needs some kind of special tactic.
-It's tempting but DO NOT take too many Incubi, they should be killy... But not TOO killy.
-Learn to spam lances due to transports, but do not rely on it, we've got ravangers ;).
-Heamo's is gods gift to us, put them in the right troops though! -Affordable and with good gear (CC)
-Splinter racks + Splinter rifles = Agony (That's a good thing)

And lastly, what I've learned, the most valid point:
-Don't be afraid to keep things cheap or/and vanilla.

Love // Lunchbox

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you lunchbox I will definitely keep that in mind as I make the new army list.
I was wondering if I want to go melee are grotesques worth it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I had some free time and I wanted to see if i was getting the hang of it and make sure that I am fixing the problems before i continue any further and start ordering.

HQ

Archon w/Huskblade,blaster,haywire,combat drugs paired with
4 Incubi mounted on a venom w/splintcannon, night shields

Elites

5 Incubi w/venom w/splint cannon .night shields

Troops

4x 10 Warriors w/Raider w/splint rack

Heavy

Razorwing
Ravager w/Aether sails, Night shields, Flickerfield

·
Registered
303 Posts
Well I had some free time and I wanted to see if i was getting the hang of it and make sure that I am fixing the problems before i continue any further and start ordering.

HQ

Archon w/Huskblade,blaster,haywire,combat drugs paired with
4 Incubi mounted on a venom w/splintcannon, night shields

Elites

5 Incubi w/venom w/splint cannon .night shields

Troops

4x 10 Warriors w/Raider w/splint rack

Heavy

Razorwing
Ravager w/Aether sails, Night shields, Flickerfield
Looking much better! Few more comments.

Archon really should have a Shadowfield. 2++ (invulnerable) save is awesome and makes him a massive threat. Otherwise anything str 6 ap 4+ will kill him out right. I don't have my book, but don't you need to trade a Close combat weapon for the blaster? If you do you're losing out on an attack in CC. With the Huskblade you might want to consider a soul trap. It doubles your strength after he kills an independent character or monsterous creature.
Also, my personal opinion is an archon should either focus on CC or shooty, not both. Too many unoptimized points otherwise. A viable combo for shooty is blaster, venom blade, shadowfield. Otherwise your current set up plus a shadow field is good.

A general comment on night shields. Generally they don't do anything for your transports carrying assault troops. Either someone has range on you or they don't. I'd drop them on the venoms, though you could put them on the warrior raiders. I still probably wouldn't, but that's my preference.

Razorwing should have a flickerfield to give it a 5++ without having to evade.

Ravager won't make much use of a flickerfield since it has jink. Also Aethersails are kind of useless. A 30" range move is generally more than sufficient if you NEED to flatout it. Otherwise you should only be moving 12" and shooting every turn.

Definitely going in the right direction! Also to answer your question on grots, they certainly are viable. I'll run them every now and then, really throws my regular opponents off. Only challenge is you'll probably want to convert these guys since the there is only one model of them for sale and it's pretty meh. If you're interested I can track down the pictures I used for inspiration. They look pretty awesome.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Looking much better! Few more comments.

I don't have my book, but don't you need to trade a Close combat weapon for the blaster?
You can exchange the either the CCW/pistol for the blaster, and just take a Huskblade. So it's all good for the extra attack

Razorwing should have a flickerfield to give it a 5++ without having to evade.

Ravager won't make much use of a flickerfield since it has jink.

I would suggest, points allowing, flickerfields on the Ravagers as well. Jinx is a cover save, which can be overcome more and more frequently. The Flickerfield is a Invul save
Added a few comments to what Ether said, but otherwise agree with everything he said. Again! Otherwise, it's looking good.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Nice additions Kabbala. Thanks for clearing up the CCW/Pistol issue, it's been forever since I had really looked closely at the wording.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unfortunately I miss counted on points ended up being 23 points over but I fixed it and have updated it.
HQ
Archon w/huskblade,haywire, shadow field w/4 incubi mounted on venom w/splinter cannon

ELITE
5 incubi mounted on venom w/splinter cannon

TROOPS
4x 10 warriors mounted on raider w/ splinter rack

HEAVY
Razorwing
Ravager

comments
I was trying to decide to remove the group of 5 incubi for exchange of something else but I am unsure what I should add instead maybe a fast attack possibly or a haemonculus

·
Slaaneshi Battle Barge CO
1,508 Posts
If you're running an Archon with Incubi, I highly suggest the Phantasm Grenade Launcher. It will let the grenadeless Incubi strike at initiative when charging into cover. Also, would suggest taking Soul Trap if you're going to take a Huskblade. Once you get a challenge or two won, your Archon becomes an unstoppable beast of instant death.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts