Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Acting XO of Tanith 1st
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Themed around armies of the 18th century, most notably the Americans during the revolutionary war.

Captain Friedrich Von Steuben
Rod of Command, heavy armor, pistol
-110-

Handgunners x10
Marksman w/Hochland Rifle, Musician
2x detachments of 5 Handgunners
-190-

Free Company x20
Full Command
-125-

Mortar

·
Kut Maar Krachtig
4,014 Posts
Having 10 handgunners with 2x5 handgunners in a detachement is no good, detachements have to be placed along with the parent and close to it, leaving you little room to cover firing lanes.

Make it into 2x10 handgunners and remove the musician, not really too viable.

Personally, i don't like Free company, but it does fit, so keep it in!

And a rod of command? Too many points at 0.5k. Also, where is the captain gonna go? The rod would suggest you would use him in a unit, but then the pistol is kinda wasted. I say give him a great weapon and stick him with the free company.

The mortar is nice, you can always swap it for a cannon against some opponents.

·
Acting XO of Tanith 1st
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback!

I was thinking Rod of Command because he's based off of the German captain who trained washington's army at valley forge so I wanted something to keep my men disciplined. I was gonna put him with the free company anyway as his pistol will be an extra hand weapon in CC and it'll be a stand and shoot shot plus it fits with my fluff.

If I drop the rod of command and I split the handgunners into two unit I would want hochland rifles in both so I would have 35 points to spend on the captains wargear. is there anything you would recommend along the lines of increased discipline?

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
Themed around armies of the 18th century, most notably the Americans during the revolutionary war.

Rod of Command, heavy armor, pistol
-110-

Handgunners x10
Marksman w/Hochland Rifle, Musician
2x detachments of 5 Handgunners
-190-

Free Company x20
Full Command
-125-

Mortar
I know you're going for something more fluffy but I really have a problem with your army because I don't think it can fight it's way out of a paper bag. Shooting is good in small point games, so keep the handgunners. I'd probably trade them for the 2x10 like Zema stated. A cannon is much more reliable than a mortar in my opinion and well worth the extra 25pts everytime.

You may consider some dogs of war units. They have a duelist that can take pistols and still get 2HW in combat - they are also skirmishers which fits the American revolutionary war type army theme better.

As far as your captain is concerned, I'd try to either make him durable or super cheap. Full plate mail is a must enchanted shield and sword of might make him fairly cheap and gets a 2+. Pistol or handgun is great due to his better BS.

·
Acting XO of Tanith 1st
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok after some play testing and finally putting together some of my outriders I came to this list which is both fluffy, fun and a lot more effective (at least I didn't get massacred and actually won a game or two, and massacred some high elves)

Full Plate, Pistol
-64-

Handgunners x10
Marksman w/Hochland Rifle
-105-

Handgunners x10
-105-

Detatchment: Free Company x5
-30-

Outriders x5 (Dragoons)
Champion
-121-

Mortar

And this comes out to 500 exactly. I'm not sure to keep the outrider champion
with his repeater handgun or give him a grenade launching blunderbuss.

I dropped the rod of command on my captain because it freed up a lot of points and because in all my games I didn't use it once, and he soloed enough people for me to leave his weapons as is and just upgrade his armor.

·
Registered
485 Posts
wow you massacred? NICE! :dance: Tell me about it if you remember the battle at all, and was it this particular this that you used(the last one you posted)

·
Acting XO of Tanith 1st
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aye I had first turn so I moved my outriders as fast as they could so they could fire at the flanks of the high elves as they advanced. My first mortar shot got lucky and clipped his 5 sword masters and his noble, I ended up killing 3 of them after it was all done. The outriders were amazing, he had to ignore them with his infantry because of their speed so focused his repeater bolt thrower on them which left my handgunners unmolested.

Oh his army was 5 swordmasters, a noble with a +2 save, 20 spearmen and a bolt thrower.

The only unit that got within charge distance of my lines was a single swordmaster. I charged my captain alone at him and after two rounds of combat finally landed a wounding hit. His spearmen got all the way to within charge distance only to be lit up again and then panicked.

I think the next thing I'm going to add at 750 is another detachment of free company to the other handgunners, 2 detachments of handgunners, and a great cannon and that leaves me with 40 points to put on my captain if my math is right. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
21 Posts
And this comes out to 500 exactly. I'm not sure to keep the outrider champion
with his repeater handgun or give him a grenade launching blunderbuss.

I dropped the rod of command on my captain because it freed up a lot of points and because in all my games I didn't use it once, and he soloed enough people for me to leave his weapons as is and just upgrade his armor.
As for me, I would normally equip my Outrider champion with the Hochland Long Rifle. That would enable him to pick out characters and have a high chance of wounding them. With BS5, you could snipe characters at 4+. Remember, your target does not get the "look out sir!" rule if you shoot with the HLR.

I mount my captains who are wearing full plate on a barded warhorse. Added with a shield, you would have a 1+ armor save.

·
Acting XO of Tanith 1st
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, expanding to 750 points, average enemy is some sort of elves and skaven

Full Plate, Pistol
-64-

Handgunners x10
-105-

Handgunners x10
-105-
Detatchment: Free Company x5
-30-

Outriders x5 (Dragoons)
Champion
-121-

Pistoliers x5 (Light Dragoons)
Champion w/repeater pistol

Cannon

Hellstorm Rocket Battery

Total: 747

I'm worried that I should take a calvary unit or an artillery unit out and add in a warrior priest as magic defense, especially against skaven, the elf player doesn't normally go for magic at this points level. But the amount of shooting I can put out might allow me to weather it anyway, what do you think?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts