Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I joined this forum in hopes that I might find help in building my army.

I have recently finished my Tau army, and got the sudden urge to start building an Imperial Guard army. I picked up the last of the Cadian Defense Force boxes that I could find to get started.

I find inspiration in the IG underdog fluff, and kinda got the itch for lots of infantry, however, my Tau army has a lot of fire warriors and suits, so if there is an alternative way to use the IG, I'd like to hear about it! :soldier:

NOTE: The goal is to find a viable way to use the models I already own and then add upon them, if possible. Also, to keep the cost reasonable and the army engaging to play.

I have in my possession the following:

Cadian Defence Force:
x2 Cadian Troops
x1 Command Squad
x1 Heavy weapons squad (3 teams)
x1 Chimera
x1 Leman Russ Battle Tank
Other Boxes:
x2 Cadian Troops (total of 4 units of Cadians)
x1 Cadian Mini-Box
x2 Commissars
x1 Primaris Psyker
x6 Wyrdvane Psykers
x1 Regimental advisors (all three)
and several bits of meltas, plasma guns, multi meltas, and Shotguns from my local Game Shop.

What list can I make from all of this? Anything I can/should add to it? Thank you!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Welcome!

From the models you own, there is not a whole lot of different lists you can put together, since they are mostly infantry, but you definately have a good core to build on.

I would recommend purchasing atleast one more Chimera, another Leman Russ tank and an artillery piece.

Aiming at a simple CAD of:
1 CCS in a chimera with plasmas or meltas
2 x platoons with heavy weapons (put commissars and/or psykers here) + PCS with flamers (preferably in Chimeras)
2 x Leman Russ tanks
1 x artillery battery (basilisk, wyver or manticore)

You will have a 1850 points "take all comers" list in no time.

P.s.

If you are looking for advice on what models are most efficient, I would definitely recommend Company Command Squads (CCS) and Wyverns. Both are very good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!

Should I be using the regimental advisors as well?
Also how best should I distribute the psykers? all in one platoon? or the primaris in a different platoon than the wyrdvane?
What other upgrades should I also think about for my cadians and command squads?
And should the platoons be turned into two 20 man blobs or four 10 man squads?

Very new to the tactics for the IG, but I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Sure thing :)

In my experience, what you should always consider when making a guard list is: synergy.

If you pick one type of unit, then usually you can pick another that compliments it, and so on. So you kind of have to decide on what to for and build from there.

As an example, let me try to answer your questions:

1.Advisors:
-I would recommend always taking an astropath for Psykic scream and possibly shrouding or invisibility.
-I would recommend really trying to fit an officer of the fleet into every list as well since he is very cheap and gives you reserves manipulation.
-Then depending on what equipment you give your CCS, you should try to take a Master of ordnance for a stationary CCS but skip him if you decide on a mobile one.

2.Psykers:
-If you want to take a primeris psyker, you will probably be looking for the prescience (Twin linked) or perfect timing (ignores cover)powers, and in that case you should take lascannons and plasmas for your infantry, cause you might actually hit and AP2 ignores cover is really dangerous. Just bear in mind that you will need like 5-6 dice to get twin linked off, so it is not as good as it sounds. Nevertheless, if you go for the beforementioned setup, you should keep going that route and take a punisher Leman Russ squadron or any other units that benefit greatly from being twinlinked.
-Again, if you take a primaris, take two or three. And if you take two or three, dont take commissars, cause they will shoot your psykers in the face for perils.
-The wyrdvanes are an elite unit that cannot join other squads. You could use one of your commissars as a custodian figure. Take biomancy and then and hope for iron arm, cause they all get the benifits from a single cast. Dont count on it though... To be safe, just go for prescience with them as well. I would recommend just using them as astropaths for your CCS and/or priests for your infantry.

3.Upgrades:
-We have already touched on this subject relating to synergy. Personally, I like to take meltas for my CCS cause then they can kill teq and vehickes and dont burn, but if I can somehow twin link them, I like plasmas.
-Again, infantry with prescience like lascannons, infantry without like autocannons. My staple is autocannons, snipers and boltgun sgts. cheep and cheerful.

4. Combined squads:
-The smart answer would be "depending on your opposing army and mission" but personally I like to have a game plan before hand. So, for the last time :) if you are taking psykers, with prescience, and squads with lascannons, then you def want atleast 30 if not 50 men squads to get the most out of your psykic powers and orders. If you go bigger then 20 You must take a priest though, cause ld. 9 psykers dont mean s**t in a unit that loses 7-12 guys in every assault face; you need fearless.

Other synergies:

-Make your lvl 2 primaris your warlord. Roll once on biomancy and try for Iron Arm to make him a cc beast and eternal warrior. -1 T is also good, relentless blobs are useful and the default is a decent shooting attack. Then just opt for prescience for your second power. Then you can keep your warlord safe in a blob while you rush the field with two CCS in chimeras PACKING HEAT!

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
Very new to the tactics for the IG, but I really appreciate it!
Mobility is always important to Guard because it isn't something our troops naturally have; running infantry across an open field works as well in 40k as the American Civil War. Three Chimeras with Objective Secured passengers is a decent minimum for an offense. Scions are effective deepstrikers and Scout Sentinels have easy access to outflank as well, depending on what enemies you typically encounter.

If you're looking for a mechanized army then instead of multiple Russes, consider Chimeras and Hellhounds. The idea is to overload the enemy's ability to handle medium armor.

If you're looking for an infantry army then I strongly recommend the Aegis Defense Line or Imperial Bastion. They give useful, fluffy protection and options for cost-effective anti-air. The Bastion also provides guaranteed cover for any artillery you have but tends to attract deepstriking meltaguns, too.

A nice trick with that Primaris is to attach him to a mounted infantry squad. He can "shoot" in the psychic phase without interfering with the actual shooting phase; he buffs leadership so your men don't get pinned when the Chimera explodes; and being a two-wound force sword makes him an effective fighter in CC, at least by Guard standards.

I prefer Commissars to priests. They have powerfist options, improve the unit's ability to follow orders and have a better statline for Quad-Guns and such. That's usually better than buffing Guardsmen for close combat.

The usefulness of advisors is mostly a personal choice. I liked combining the Astropath's psychic shriek with a plasma gun-toting CCS for hunting Monstrous Creatures. Some players swear by the Fleet Officer.

And should the platoons be turned into two 20 man blobs or four 10 man squads?
Plan on 20-blobs because orders and Commissars are in limited supply, but remember this decision is technically made at deployment not listbuild. If the mission is all objectives and no kill points then fielding individual squads is still an option.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for all this information!

How does this list look so far?

x1 Primaris (level 2 & force sword, attached to Wyrdvane psykers in a chimera potentially?)
x2 Priests (one in each Cadian blob)
HQ:
Company Command Squad: (Carapace armour, Camo gear)
x1 Chimera (Camo netting, dozer blade, extra armor, heavy flamer, multi-laser)
x1 Astropath, x1 Officer of the fleet
x1 Commander (Carapace armour)
x4 Veterans (Medi-pack, regimental standard, x2 plasma guns)
Elites:
x5 Wyrdvane Psykers (w/Primaris and in a Chimera?)
Troops:
x2 Platoon:
Platoon commander (Chimera, Commissar, x3 flamer veterans, vox-caster, platoon standard)
x2 squads (Melta-gun, vox-caster, Sergeant w/metla bombs)
x1 Heavy weapons squad (x1 Auto cannon, x2 Lascannons?)
Heavy:
Hydra (Camo, enclosed crew compartment, extra armor, heavy bolster)
Vanquisher (x2 meltas, heavy bolter, came, dozer, extra armour)
Battle Tank (x2 Plasma, camo, extra armour, heavy bolter)

I'm sure this is far from optimized, but it's a start haha. And should I try to add fast attacks?

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
In this list, I would run the Wyrdvanes as Divinators supporting the Vanquisher. That Russ variant benefits the most from Prescience and Wyrdvanes can speedbump a charge. Run the Vanq with a hull lascannon instead of sponsons. The lascannon pairs better with the turret's range & anti-armor purpose.

The battle cannon is an ordnance weapon and plasma cannons cannot snapfire, so the Russ Battle Tank needs a redo. No upgrades is my recommendation but hull & sponson bolters can be more effective than a large blast against small and/or spread-out infantry.

Put the meltaguns in the PCS. Flamers are a better choice for infantry blobs because of their overwatch use and the fact that enemy deepstrikers are required to deploy in base-to-base contact... ideal template targets.

And should I try to add fast attacks?
A Vendetta for air support, if you don't bring any ground AA. Hellhounds combine well with Chimeras. I'm a fan of outflanking Scout Sentinels with multilasers. Armored Sentinels are mobile HWS that can double as CC tarpits. But none of it is mandatory.

·
I AM the Evil Twin!
4,989 Posts
The Leman Russ Battle Tank is better with 3 heavy bolters than with plasma cannons. The only time you should really take plasma cannon sponsons is on a Leman Russ Executioner as they fit in with its role as a MEQ/TEQ killer.

With regards your heavy weapons squad it is better to have them with all the same weapons so that they fulfill a particular role and do it well. By mixing the weapons you dilute the effectiveness of the units firepower as whilst las-cannons are great for destroying tanks they are not so effective at taking out infantry units whereas an auto-cannon is. I would recommend having one squad with 3 las-cannons to fulfill an anti-tank role and one with 3 autocannons to fulfill an anti-infantry roll. The added bonus is that this also gives you a degree of redundancy should your Leman Russ Vanquisher and Leman Russ Battle Tank get destroyed.

JvK B)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Ok, ok. So, only weapons on vehicles, no other upgrades? I have 186 points left in this list if I take away the upgrades from the Chimeras and tanks, but leave the weapon upgrades. (for a 1850 pt list)

I can add in a Vendetta eventually, or Hellhound.

Specialize Heavy weapons teams, check, along with the other suggestion regarding the platoons and the weapon choices for the tanks!

In total I'll need to add to my list:
x2 Chimera
x2 command squad
x1 Vendetta/Hellhound or x2 Sentinels
x1 leman russ vanquisher
x1 Wyvern
x1 Heavy weapons team

In all I'd have:

x1 primaris
x6 wyrdvane
x1 Regimental advisors (all three)
x3 Command Squads
x4 Cadians
x2 Heavy weapons squads
x1 Vendetta/hellound or x2 Sentinels
x3 Chimera
x1 Battle Tank
x1 Vanquisher
x1 Wyvern
and a possible aegis defense line

These of these models can play as others, such as wyrdvanes as priests.

Anything else I should consider or know about the army?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Look...

There is the imaginery "models I think are the best list", and then there is the very real "models I have list".

I would recommend you don't go crazy and buy 7-10 boxes just to fit some predesigned list.

Based on everyone's advice, you would be well adviced to start by purchasing 2 chimeras as they fit the models you have well, open up new tactical possibilities and are relatively cheap financially.

With 2 chimeras added to the models you already have, you will have a very decent list. My advice: Take that list out and play 20 games and then decide what you would like to add to it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, I supposed I shouldn't get to carried away. I think that, that's wise advice. It was my initial hope to try and pace myself! Thank you though, I think I got a lot of good thoughts on the army.

I'm still open to any other advice ofcourse, I'm excited to fight for the greater goo -- I mean Emperor. Ehem

1 - 12 of 12 Posts