Librarium Online Forums banner

What God to pick?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to chaos and i decided to go khorne (just love the looks power and style) i will however be playing most of my battles vs my friend who plays high elves:0

I saw the other post with tactics vs high elves except my friend doesnt use those units (yet).

up to now i only have 15 chaos warriors (painted khorne) and an aspiring champion (undevided just in case i want to switch to tzeench)

my friend has spearmen archers and a chariot of chrace and will be looking into buying bolt throwers. seeing how i have to come to him he will set up defensively and harrass me from afar.

what should i buy and do to kill his always strike first elves?

we are also looking into entering a duo tournament: any tips on what aspects of each army to use?

Am i right to even choose khorne.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I play with high elves for a while now and I'm going to start chaos when they're released next time.
But I already red the current army book and I think the hardest opposition for the elves will be slaanesh with their asf heroes and immume to pshycologie troops and take some chariots as wel

Good luck with it8Y!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Chariots are one of the best HE countering units. Also, even if he does try to kill the chariot, he'll ba facing Toughness 5, which will make it fairly hard to kill considering his low strength. Also, his low toughness doesn't hurt either. Look into getting some furies to screen your more expensive troops, maybe even screamers if you decide to go Tzeentch or Undivided.

·
Registered
229 Posts
You only get ASF on daemonic heroes, sadly, although there is a weapon that grants it to any Slaaneshi hero.

Immune to psych is quite effective aginst Elves, or anyone else shooty. Running from casualties is a very sad thing. I'm not sure about high elves having access to fear or terror, barring a dragon, so you shouldn't have to worry about that for a while.

Khorne... Is slower than High Elves, so you may wish to get something fast and non Khorne to give your warriors and eventual knights something to charge at that won't be leading them around as they get whittled down.

I say undivided, because it's good to have some variety in your list to counteract the glaring weakness of your main god. (Please don't do pure Khorne.)

·
Registered
371 Posts
The way my army is set up, i gave my general hero of tzeentch to make him into a level 2 sorcerer, and i also have an additional level 2 sorcerer. I slap my general in the front ranks of my main warrior unit. I take lore of Shadow on my general, and lore of shadow on my sorcerer. The #5 spell (Unseen Lurker) allows you to choose a friendly unit within 12" of the caster.. and they get an additional move/charge. Well.. if you have 2 casters, and you get that spell for each caster... thats a whole lot of movement. I get my warriors into combat really fast. I follow this up with a chariot on a flank charge, or a unit of 5 knights. As far as the unit of warriors go, they have the Mark of Khorne.. nothing like having 3 attacks each (extra hand weapon, frenzy). Hope this helps.

·
Advocatus Diaboli
4,571 Posts
The way my army is set up, i gave my general hero of tzeentch to make him into a level 2 sorcerer, and i also have an additional level 2 sorcerer. I slap my general in the front ranks of my main warrior unit. I take lore of Shadow on my general, and lore of shadow on my sorcerer.
Marked models can only take the lore of their god. So Shadow magic on a Tzeentchian hero is...tricky...to say the least.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Marked models can only take the lore of their god. So Shadow magic on a Tzeentchian hero is...tricky...to say the least.
Oooh valid statement, sir! I didn't even catch that. Well.. I've only played 2 games that way.. both with the same person.. and i lost both games.. so i guess it doesnt really matter. As long as I play correctly from here on out :p

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
Stick with Khorne if its what you like. Chosen knights... ASF will mean nothing to them due to their armour, just run in and slap those elves silly :) Also, the mass of dispel dice will be a great help vs HEs. Just beware the Lore of Metal.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Don't worry, HE are not as hard as they might look. All units cost a lot of points, with marauders and hounds you can easyly outnumber them, once you'll get to close combat HE will crumble and strike first won't help them.

I've found it very hard to build a nice low points HE army. It's always lacking something, if it's got good shooting and magic it won't have good close combat, if it has good close combat units, it won't have much else, and still will be easy to outnumber, and so on.
Chaos is easy to build a good army with plenty of spare units for low or high points, but I wouldn't invest much at the moment as the rules will change soon, and it's hard to say what is worth investing and what is not.

Don't forget that you can always set the terrain to your advantage, so don't let your opponent set up all terrain. Stick to the rules in the WH rulebook, make sure that the table has got right dimentions (if it's too long he will have more turns shooting before you reach him, so the smaller the better), make sure that the gap between armies is not too big. He will set a hill on his side for bolt throwers, so put a big forest in the meddle of the table, and set up behind it, he won't be able to use his bolt throwres so well.
Good Luck, erm.. I mean Let the Khorne Guide you:ninja:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Sticking to the currrent hordes of chaos, i would suggest undivided:
-khorne is too difficult to manage for a beginner (frenzy)
-tzeentch must focus on magic, but this costs too much in terms of points and so it's always badly outnumbered
-nurgle is not really interesting
-slaanesh has got the supreme magic lore of WHFB but the troops are not so efficient

So with chaos undivided you can pick khornate warriors, slaaneshi magic, some tzeentchian units (eg chariots) to increase power dice; balancing the every time to better suit your desire.

Cheers
;Y

·
I've had enough!
2,041 Posts
Well, I've alway played as Khorne, even when I first started out. It can be hard to start, but you learn the army quickly I think. Khorne vs HE has some really good advantages:

-The same things are immune the psychology while frenzied as a Slaanesh army.
-Lots of attacks to counter ASF
-Built in magic defense

Now, I've JUST come from playing a HE for only the 2nd time and my result was a major victory to chaos. You can check it out in the Battile Report section.

So, here are a few combo's that worked very well for me:

-Warriors backed up by Chaos Spawn, both working together pump out a huge amount of attacks, and do very well. They beat the snot out of Phoenix Guard anyway, but they probably hit the softest out of the whole list. WL or SM could've been differet...

-Chaos Dragon. With such few units even on the table, this guy basicly cleaned up the enemies missile tropps in Bowmen and Bolties. Be very careful though! I've JUST started using Dragons in my Khorne force, and they take a while to get used to. Frenzy really hurts this guy, but you can deal with it, just need practice.

-Chariot. Obvious really, but with frenzied crew with Great Weapons, he can really lay down the hurt with this unit. Just watch out for terrain, and don't get lured into it by Shaddow warriors or the like.

-Knights. I always recomend them, they have really performed for me, even with frenzy. This battle, they didn't do a great deal, one unit was Dragon food, and they other kept having his charge fled from, so incase this happens, keep another unit in mind that you could use for Crossifre purposes. Hounds or Marauder Cav come to mind here. Dual charges from 2 dirrections could also help.

Finally, as the Hordes updates should be in may/june White Dwarf, I'fd either ahng out for that or not put any Daemons or Beasts into your lists until we find out more. They COULD be included, but I wouldn't count on it.

Tim

·
Registered
20 Posts
The Dark Prince, of course. You will all bow before him/her in the end anyway, so why not bow down now and get good seats to the final show?

·
LO's thread lurker
733 Posts
do what you like remember you can mix marks now! but slanesh rocks imune to phycology chariots rock to im working on a slannesh khorn fusion force(couldnt deside) and i love not careing when chargeing fear causing demons always funny:D. but if i were to be forced to choose i would go slannesh as i never can stop loving purple or pink hilights on black (so sweet8X).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts