Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was just wondering how you feel this army would do or if anyone had pointers on how to make it better.

HQ

Captain 145 (bike, power weapon)
Vulkan xxx
Command Squad 195 (rhino, champion, 3 meltas)

Troops

7 Bike squad 200 (meltagun)

Heavy Support

Whirlwind
Whirlwind

The idea is to hide the whirlwinds behind cover and blast troops or anykind of horde unit. (also try and break low LD units) Vulkan will go with the command squad in the rhino who will either tank hunt or look to get an assault. Sense I have vulkan all my melta guns are twin linked so I shouldent be missing with many of them. The captain on bike will go with one of the bike squads and give little a little bit more power in CC. Thanks for you input

·
That Which Has No Time
1,451 Posts
This belongs in the army list section, a mod will certainly soon move it there for you.

I don't recommend the use of two HQs if you don't need both. You need the captain to take bikes as troops, but do you really need Vulkan? If you choose to use him, then load up on more melta weapons (and/or flamers).

Your biker captain needs a relic blade if you want at least a little close combat punch. Power weapon is not going to kill much, believe me.

The command squad isn't helping anything, actually. Drop it along with Vulkan.

Your bike squads need attack bikes. They cost fewer than two bikes but are effectively better than two bikes because of the weapon upgrade. I've broken this down many times before, so I won't in detail this time.
Moreover, multi-meltas make so much better tank hunters than melta guns because you have double the range. With Vulkan even single multi-meltas are pretty much reliable.
I also recommend diversifying your bike squads a little. Use two or maybe three melta squads (with multi-melta attack bikes) and put either plasma guns or flamers in other squads where you leave the heavy bolter on your attack bikes.

Sorry for only scratching the surface.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I like the look of the army a lot, as I am a bike player as well.

A few suggestions based on my prefrence:

HQ= The bike captain, to have some real stoping power in cc needs a relic blade, the strength 6 really helps, after that he's good. vulkan is a great idea for close range melta/flame fire power. The lone rhino is not neccerarily a great idea, they will probably be shot quickly and the command squad will be left strandad. consider getting another squad mounted in a rhino or get them in a land raider, if you can

Troops= bike squads don't need have that many bikes, in my playing the best bike squad is 4-5 bikes with 2 support weapons and an attack bike w/ or w/o a multi-meltas. Also perhaps consider trading the melta(s) for flamer(s) instead, maybe in one or 2 squads.

Heavy Support: Great, consider trading up for Vindicators in a larger army.

-Aemilius

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the input very helpful. I have a revised list below

HQ

Captain 165 (bike, relic blade)
Vulkan xxx
Command Squad 195 (rhino, champion, 3 meltas)

Troops

5 Bike squad 190 (attack bike with multi melta)
5 Bike squad 210 (attack bike with heavy bolter, 2 flamers)

Heavy Support

Whirlwind xx
Whirlwind xx

It comes out to exactly 1500. I like the idea of putting the attack bikes in for the multi meltas. I decided to keep Vulkan cuz I love him :) I see the flaws in bringing him but I feel he will make up his points with all the melta shots I wont be missing. I usually also play tau so he would mop them in combat. The relic blade idea on my captain was also a good one so i switched that up to. Thank you again and give me some feed back

·
That Which Has No Time
1,451 Posts
Looks a lot better already.

I would add some more upgrades in the bike squads. Having only one non-bolter weapon is a little few, even against Tau. You can use melta guns to instant-kill suits from up to 24" away (move 12", fire 12"), having only one multi-melta shot is a little little. Vehicles with a cover save often need more than a single shot to die, too, etc...
Drop the fifth bikers from your multi-melta attack bike squads and add in two melta guns each. Then use the remaining 15 points to buy something for your command squad. The more diverse your models the better, because if you receive a lot of wounds you can allocate them to single models, ensuring that only few will die - works really great. I recommend maybe a storm shield, or a plasma gun. Or a lightning claw. Something like that...

·
Egg Head Miniatures:fbook
1,900 Posts
Some thoughts for you.

Drop the capt on bike. Put Khan on bike and HQ squad too. Then move that that lot about doing cc duties for you. I've tried this and it's quite good.

Drop the WW and take Landspeeder Typhoons. Although not indirect probably as effective and can kill a wider variety of stuff. Tanks and such. Also insta kills 3+/str4 guys. ;-) The typhoons can also move to get best cover/find targets. Very handy against Tau crisis suits!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.