Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ive decided to start collecting Nids and would like a little advice on my army structure.
These are the current models I am getting and have:

Hive Tyrant
3 Warriors
10 Termagaunts
8 Gaunts
14 Genestealers
8 Hormagaunts
Carnifex

After reading through the LO Tyranid Forum I believe I will make a DakkaTyrant with wings. However i'm not sure what to orientate around this. Like if my Carnifex would be CC or shooty, same with warriors. By the way, i'll mostly be up against SM, Tau. I'm open to all advice...;Y

·
Registered
21 Posts
A flying DakkeTyrant is always a good option. Go for it :)

In my experience a Carnifex should always be shooty. Its to slow to ever get into combat. Give it 2x Twin-Devourers and watch it destroy the smurfs.

The Warrior's outfit depend on the player. I often use mine as a devourer shooting forward Synapse base to support my Hormagaunts, but since you already have the flying Tyrant you have no problem.
I would equip them with Deathspitters and let them sit in cover.

·
Registered
576 Posts
So far thats a solid core. Give the Fex Sniper Tools (Barbed Strangler/Venom Cannon), don't outfit your genestealers with scything talons, just Extended Carapace, Wariors should be outfitted with deathspitters, hormagaunts can be upgraded for +WS and +I OR +S, shoudlnt be both or they get expensive, your tyrant should get flying with Dakka or Scything Talons.

thats it for so far, keep us posted on your list.l

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice im getting the Hive Tyrant and battleforce in 4 days and should have a list by then. Cheers.

·
159 Posts
Hive Commander Scorp

Your inventory looks similar to what a person getting a Battle For MacCragge, Battleforce Box and 1 Hive Tyrant, which is in my opinion the optimal choice to get.

As far as your inquires, I'd suggest the Sniperfex (Venom Cannon/Barbed Strangler), which has already been suggested. From a modeling standpoint, obviously you should add the Enhanced senses biomorph head (the kit comes with 6 different heads).

As far as your warriors, you're going to get varying opinons. Some will suggest 2 TL Devourers on each of them. Some might suggest adding the Venom Cannon on one of them. I'd actually suggest putting scything talons and rending claws on all three of them to make them CC oriented. There are some serious flaws with my suggestion however:

1. To be effective with these CC Warriors, you should give them the leaping biomorph. Some opponents will want you to explicitly show that they are leaping. For a first time modeler, its a bit of a challenge and wouldn't suggest doing that.
  2. Most importantly, you'd need 3 sets of rending claws. And I think the Battleforce box only offers 1 set. So you'd have to buy bitz from an online vendor or be creative using greenstuff.
To be honest, your Warriors will be your trickest unit to figure out. There are a few suggested loadouts, but they are really tough to use well.

=========================
Future Purchases
I know you've just started out, but here are 3 suggestions I can make for future purchases

1. Another Battleforce box. Although more expensive, its still your best overall choice. You can make another 3 warriors (to toughen up your Synapse) as well as bulk up the 8 gaunt and hormagaunt squads to make them a unit of 16. Its drawback is its obvious higher cost (even though its a good deal)
  2. 1-3 Raveners. You currently have no Fast attack choices, so I reccommend these units.The best load-out is rending claws and scything talons. Unfortunately the Raveners don't come with rending claws. So again, you'll need to find a place that sells bitz.
  3. Another Hive Tyrant. I think its the best choice as a Synapse unit. If you make a Winged DakkaTyrant, then you can make another walking DakkaTyrant or other variant.
  4. 2-3 Zoanthropes. This is another good choice, especially if you want more Synapse. But just know that the models are top-heavy and are pretty difficult to build.

=========================
Don't buy these units yet!
You may be tempted, but I wouldn't suggest getting these units yet

1) Lictor/Lictor Death Leaper - Most Tyranid generals don't use this in their competitive lists. They have their usage in escalation games or Cities of Death games, but its expensive and there are other good choices to make for Elite Units
2) Biovore - Most generals don't use this unit in their competitive lists. With the Carnifex and Zoanthrope as similar Heavy Choices, these units are rare.
3) Gargoyles - Most generals don't use this unit in their competitive lists, although I do use them in one of my competitive lists. The gargoyles are also pretty tough to put together.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice Rudy very helpful. Yes I have got Macragge, Battleforce and Htyrant boxes. From taking advice from multiple people I have quiclky conjured an army list. I have taken your advice Rudy of CC warriors into play, I believe I could get the extra rending claws from a mate. Here's the list...

HQ
Hive Tyrant (DakkaTyrant) - 196
Enhanced Senses, Toxin Sacs, Winged, 2x TL Devourers, Warp Field

Elites
Warriors (3) - 135
Adrenal Glands(I,WS), Extended Carapace, Flesh Hooks, Leaping, Toxin Sacs, Rending Claws, Scything Talons

Troops
Genestealers (7) - 140
Extended Carapaces

Genestealers (7) - 140
Extended Carapaces

Gaunts (9) - 54
Fleshborers

Gaunts (9) - 54
Fleshborers

Hormagaunts (8) - 104
Adrenal Glands (I), Toxin Sacs

Heavy Support
Carnifex (SniperFex) - 203
Enhanced Senses, Extended Carapace, Regenerate, Barbed Strangler, Venom Cannon

Total = 1026

Advice Please :p. I believe most people will argue on reducing the points cost? But its not big deal to me.

·
BANANA!
1,161 Posts
I think it is quite a good army but if you want to bring it to or under 1000pts(which would be good if you want to field it in tournies as they usually have 1000 pts as one of the usual point restrictions) you could:
1. take the regenerate of the carnifex(in my oppinion a bit of a waste) or
2. change the flesh borers on the gaunts for spine fists (also a good option)

the one in bold is my favorite option, but once again, the genestealers and the tyrant are very good options. A very nice army;Y

·
Mau'Dib
499 Posts
You sure this is your first list? That's one of the better looking swarm style lists I've seen in a while.

As Buggy said before me, drop the regen from your fex, it's very expensive and offers only a very limited benefit (I know it seems really cool but it's one of the many "trap" upgrades in the nids arsenal).

I also agree with buggy, it'd be nice if you could drop the fleshborers from the gaunts, but if they came in the mcragg box then I know you don't have a choice in the matter. Other than that fantastic first list.

·
159 Posts
Hive Commander Scorp

Just so that you know the suggestions by the Hive Generals Harkonen and Bug Controller regarding the extra biomorphs are correct; there are probably too much particularly on the Sniperfex. And most people prefer spinegaunts because they are cheaper.

However, if I remember correctly you only had the MacCragge Box, One Battleforce Box, and the Hive Tyrant set. With these items it would be more realistic for you to make a 750-800 point list. So stretching it to over 1000 points meant extra biomorhps and you probably had no choice but to build more termagaunts, as only termagaunts come in the MacCragge set. As such I understand why you made this list. And if this is your first Carnifex that you're going to build, I can 100% relate to wanting to put every single biomorph on that; its arguably one of the most fun units to make.

I also agree with General Harokonen that its a great first list. My first 1000 list wasn't even close to this good (stupid lictor ;) ).

In regards to your list itself, and assuming you want to keep it around 1000 points, here are my suggestions

1) Instead of the regenerate biomorph, consider the reinforced chitin.
Its cheaper and the extra wound tends to be among the favorite biomorphs to put on a Carnifex. A good friend of mine (MVBrandt) can easily make an arguement for this biomorph instead of the Extended Carapiece. You might be able to add some additional biomorphs (such as an Adrenal Gland or Flesh hooks on the Hive Tyrant)

2) Build those warriors last to allow you to experiment with their configuration.
Don't be afraid to build those warriors last, as you develop your list. MVBrandt can make a good case for fielding shooty warriors. And with your Dakka Tyrant they could compliment your force well. Your warriors, because of their "average" stats are the toughest unit to field. They're the most flexible unit (as you can field them as HQ/Elites/Fast Attack), but don't offer any devastatingly obvious use for them. So while you get a feel how to expand your army, I'd recommend just building the legs and torso and put them on a base.

3) Fielding even numbered genestealers/termagaunts.
If you field those genestealers/termagaunts, you want to field them in even numbers. So field one unit of 8 and one unit of 6 genestealers. I won't go into the math, but when counting for scoring units, if you compare the 7/7 to 8/6 ratios, you'll find that with the 8/6, your opponent has to kill one more unit to get both those units below scoring (which is 50%).

For some people this difference in 1 unit is negligible, so don't worry if you don't want to do the math or don't agree.

4) For the sake of filling up troops slots and easing up on any extra Carnifex/hormagaunt biomorphs you could consider fielding ripper swarms.
In your boxed set you should have enough to make 3 ripper swarm bases. If you want to experiment, I've seen someone field ripper swarms with leaping and +1 Strength. I wouldn't recommend it, but I wanted to let you know that you should have a few more troops choices in that Battleforce box.

5) When you start buying more gaunt boxed sets, I'd suggest getting spinegaunts.
Having 18-20 termagaunts is good. But you also want to start building up your spinegaunts. Once you have an equal amount of each, I'd suggest experimenting with your list to see what you prefer. Both termagaunts and spinegaunts have advantages and disadvantages, so you'll want to experiment with both units to see which direction you want to go with them.

6) Feel free to send me a PM if you want to see my sample lists and/or conversions.
I'd be more than happy to show you some sample lists and send you links to conversions. Although I consider myself an average Tyranid Tactician, I consider myself an above-average modeler...but not by much. (I don't consider myself a Golden Daemon candidate)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.