Librarium Online Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ok so I gave it some thought what about

Grey seer on screaming bell channeling staff.

Warlord broad horror enchanted shield tali of pres warlock augmented weapon

Chieftain bsb armour of destiny halberd

Warlock level 2 warp stone armour warp condenser pistol

4 units of 60 slaves shields musician

43 stormvermin standard fang leader banner of discipline all characters here accept Warlord

2 lighting cannons

2 doom wheels

2499 that's a horde not sure how well it will do but most will benefit from the ld 8

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So the below lists are the 2 I have come up with I know not necessarily good but clan skryre driven.

So list one

Warlord broad horror enchanted shield tali of pres warlock augmented weapon. (General for this list for the 18"ld)

Grey seer (grand warlock enginseer) tali of endurance warp condenser warp pistol

4× 35 clan rats shields standard poison wind mortar 5x7

40 storm vermin standard 7x6 with Chieftain gray seer

2 lighting cannons

2 doom wheels

2500pts on the nose.

Warlord as above

Gray seer as above on bell

Chieftain as above

Clan rats as above

44 storm vermin standard banner of discipline Chieftain and bell

2 lighting cannons

2410pts

So plan for mortars is to sit 3" behind Parent unit and it's accuracy through volume

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Looks like you're pretty dead-set on a list. Give that a shot, there are enough minor things that you could swap out later if you needed room to add other bits and pieces into the army. I'd really try for Globadiers - they're awesome and I think that they'll do a better job than the Mortars, at least when it comes to what you want out of them.

The Doomwheels are only 3 shots, but they're auto-hit, and the average Strength is S6, with Multiple Wounds (D6) tacked on for good measure. They're not ideal, but they'll drop enemy monsters with ease. The ability to Zzzzap into Combat is also helpful.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Do you think the first list has more to offer I feel it has alot more drops and not got 800+ points in lord I get the essential level 4 without the bell centre piece sadly but I ill get that for larger games. It had 4 deep blocks of infantry that granted won't win a fight but they can hold. Stormvermin to hurt something not alot but something. Then the rare 2 wlc and 2 dw to be destructive

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
It had 4 deep blocks of infantry that granted won't win a fight but they can hold. Stormvermin to hurt something not alot but something.
That's the problem that I see (and why I don't play Skaven) - what are using in the list to hurt something? Right now, your army is going to tarpit everyone and that's the end of it. I compare what you're running, to my WoC or Elves, or your Elves, or Rikker's list, and I don't see how the Skaven would earn enough Victory Points. Particularly against your Elves. These Skaven could stall me, and probably Rikker, with the big infantry blocks, but your Spearmen would walk right through them.
This is why I think you see Rat Ogres, HPAs, and Wheels so often - the Skaven really need "hammer" units. They don't have Cavalry, but that doesn't mean that they should just forget about hitting hard in combat.
I would really focus on what to do when you get the enemy locked into combat. Skaven are one of those weird armies where they can't only "play to type" like WoC or HE, because their 'type' doesn't win games on it's own (tarpitting, shooting phase).

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
So list one with 2 doom wheels and the lord can hammer infantry units well I may buckle and get rat ogres don't like the current gw version but I do have some island of blood ones coming so see how they look.

I looked at doom flayers for the units to essentially give the units there own personal hammer my concern is its only str 4 thoughts?

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
I looked at doom flayers for the units to essentially give the units there own personal hammer my concern is its only str 4 thoughts?
Really expensive, S4, 1W - it's only going to be there for 1 round of combat. You're basically just adding a couple of Impacts to a regiment.

Popular hammers seem to be Wheels, Aboms, and ROgres. Can't really comment on the models - I think Skaven are pretty off-putting all around. Almost as bad as GW's slide towards gut-spewing Nurgle stuff lately.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Ok so just test mortars and if crap swap for rat ogres I do have 2 doom wheels and my lord on brood horror to do some smashing.

Yeah I feel the doom flayers should be at least tough 4 with 2 wounds the strength is low but I think of it as an chariot and I compare in my mind another chariot at that cost is tomb kings they are str 4 tough 4 ,3 wounds and save 5 + so I feel the flyer just needs to boosted to chariot for d6 impact hits and str 4 tough 4 save 3+ and 2 wounds and it's current attack system and it would be worth 55pts.

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Yeah I feel the doom flayers should be at least tough 4 with 2 wounds the strength is low but I think of it as an chariot and I compare in my mind another chariot at that cost is tomb kings they are str 4 tough 4 ,3 wounds and save 5 + so I feel the flyer just needs to boosted to chariot for d6 impact hits and str 4 tough 4 save 3+ and 2 wounds and it's current attack system and it would be worth 55pts.
Just put it into the unit like an Orc Great Spear. In fact, do that with all the weapons teams. Or, fix the number of shots on the Ratling Gun, and make them into a unit of their own, dual-kit with Jezzails. Then replace the current Mortar teams with larger, conventional Empire-style Mortars and be done with it.

Of course, none of this would work as Dark Eldar or Chaos stuff in 40k (like the new Fiends) so it won't fit GW's "new aesthetics" after ETs. Bullsh

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Things like the fire throwers for it points need to have the move or fire taken away and be able to put into the unit as you say the rest I think maybe allow the option for them to be in the unit but also give them a choice to be a special and a unit in there own right. Ratling guns should be like the storm fiends 3d6 mishap on a triple. I agree that the mortars again should be it's own war machine I think it's current wounding system is good I would see it move to war machine with large template for say 80-85pts so it's a little less than the wlc.

Yeah your right gw have a way of doings things at the moment and skaven don't quite fit that

·
Registered
28 Posts
I definitely agree with Cap's assessment (partially through personal experience). So many tar pits, which can hold everything (I had one unit of slaves hold up a unit of knights and a steam tank for 2 turns), but you can't push any damage into them. Hammers are required, and Globadiers are part of the whittle down strategy for sure (I only ran 10, I'd recommend another unit for max usefulness, as they quickly became a target).

I also agree with dropping the bell - it just becomes a big cannonball magnet, IMO. Maybe in larger games, definitely not in smaller ones. Too many points. Let us know how your list fares!

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Thanks I think I will give it go and see what happens. Dunno what I will change for I don't think plague censor bearers are any good so my choice is ogres or globadiers

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Censer Bearers aren't bad, because they ignore armor with their Censors, and then get to swing in regular combat. Granted, they'll kill themselves and each other, but only on a 6, whereas most of your opponents will drop dead on a 5+ or even a 4+. That's on top of getting 3A (at S5, with Hatred, in the first round) and being T4.

If you're considering fielding some kind of Pestilens units, then you really cannot go wrong with Censer Bearers - they're expensive, but they're terrifying.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Did think of doing them but wasn't sure if they were any good as I was thinking they could drift between units and counter. Was thinking I could convert them to be warp fire fanatics rats that have worked deep in the warlocks furnaces and have breathed in to much warp laced smoke they have gone mad. Just to keep it clan skryre

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Ok after all the advice this is the list I will be play testing over the next couple of weeks.

Lord brood horror heavy armour enchanted shield tali of pres warlock augmented weapon iron curse icon.

Grey seer ( warlock enginseer ) tali of endurance warp condenser warp lock pistol

Warlock pistol

Warlock pistol

35 clan rats shields standard poison wind mortar

35 clan rats shields standard poison wind mortar

39 slaves shields paw leader Musician warlock here 5x8

39 slaves shields paw leader Musician warlock here 5x8

40 storm vermin standard fang leader poison wind mortar 7x6 Chieftain and grey seer here

3 rat ogres 2 handlers

2 doom wheels

2 warp lightning cannons

2500pts on the nose.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts