Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, like the titles says: i'm new at space marine. I'm only playing tyranids for a year or so, so I'm relative new at that too :rotfl:

I bought an assault on black reach and traded the orcs with a buddy who bought one also. So now I have 2 captains, 2 tact squats (with flamer and missile launcher) 2 dreadnoughts (storm bolter, multi melta, dccw) and 2 termie squads of 5 (4 powerfists and 1 sword, storm bolter)

I would like to play ravenguard with Kayvaan Shrike and focus on cc and buy some assault squats....
Is that doable? Or do only shooty space marines stand a chance? A buddy who plays SM doesn't win much but I blame his style :act-up:

I keep reading about Rhinos (and vehicles in general) as a must for any army. Friends of mine play Eldar, SM and Orc. All play with the dedicaded transports and I would like to be different, therefore assault squads :snicker:

Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
If all of your competition plays Mech, you're going to be left in the dust if you choose to foot-slog it.

At any rate, my recommendation is always to play a few games with what you've got before you consider making additional purchases. It will not only help you to assess what you have and what you still need, but it will also help you to determine your play-style with experience rather than speculation.

2x AOBR sets are a great start, I say get them assembled and painted and play a few games. Then once you have an idea of what you might want to buy, ask your friends if you can proxy a few battles before you make the purchase, in this way you will not find out the hard way if you've made a bad decision.

:beer:

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Shrike can lead very effective shooty (dakka) lists in a casual setting.

Most people consider deploying Shrike with Assault Marines or Assault Terminators to put serious pressure on the opponent. However, consider the following:

(Disclaimer: This is slightly unfluffy, and rather crass, as it mixes special characters from two Chapters. But it's quite legal, and might not be an issue if your local group is a fan of the "Count As" rule with characters.)

Consider teaming Kayvaan Shrike with Cato Sicarius, who possesses the "Battle-forged Heroes" special rule, allowing one Tactical Squad within your army to gain one of four special rules, including Infiltrate. Also consider, you may purchase a Dedicated Transport for a unit, but deploy them separately. The only stipulation is that the unit who purchased the DT is the only unit that can be deployed within it, however any unit may embark the transport once the game has started.

HQ [ 395 ]
Kayvaan Shrike
Cato Sicarius
An expensive start, but it allows the remainder of your army to perform a very specialized role.

Troops [ 825 ]
Tactical Squad #1 [ 225 ]*
+ Combat Squad {Sergeant, 4x Marines, Meltagun}
+ Combat Squad {5x Marines, Lascannon}
+ Razorback, TL-Heavy Bolter
*This unit Infiltrates into cover, granted by Cato Sicarius.

Tactical Squad #2 [ 210 ]
+ Combat Squad {Sergeant, 4x Marines, Flamer}
+ Combat Squad {5x Marines, (Heavy Bolter, Missile Launcher, or Multimelta)}
One combat squad rides in the Razorback purchased with this unit, while the other rides in the Razorback purchased with Tactical Squad #2

Tactical Squad #3 [ 210 ]
+ Combat Squad {Sergeant, 4x Marines, Flamer}
+ Combat Squad {5x Marines, (Heavy Bolter, Missile Launcher, or Multimelta)}
One combat squad rides in the Razorback purchased with this unit, while the other rides in the Razorback purchased with the Devastator Squad.

Scout Squad [ 180 ]
+ Combat Squad {Sergeant, 4x Scouts, Sniper Rifles, Camo Cloaks}
+ Combat Squad {5x Scouts, Sniper Rifles, Camo Cloaks}

Heavy Support [ 280 ]
Devastator Squad [ 280 ]*
+ Combat Squad {Sergeant, 4x Devastators, 2x Missile Launchers}
+ Combat Squad {5x Devastators, 2x Plasma Cannons}
*This unit is lead by Kayvaan Shrike, and split into combat squads upon deployment. Shrike remains with the second Combat Squad to provide CC support, or breaks away to pursue a target of his own.

Total: 1,500 Points

This list gives you a total of 6 Infiltrating units (3 units, Combat Squads x2), 4 Squads in Razorbacks, and 2 powerful Special Characters. The intent is not to immediately overwhelm your opponent with in-your-face infiltrators, but to use their abilities to suppress your opponent's advancement by deploying into optimal position to control lanes of fire. Sicarius can either be deployed with one of the Combat Squads in a Razorback, or infiltrate with the Devastator Squad to provide CC defense to the first Combat Squad.

It is by no means competitive (with a total of 16 kill points offered and easy for the taking), and I am not trying to recommend this list to you. I just dug it out of my binder to show you that you can make fun shooty Shrike lists for casual play.

(And FYI, I've played it twice when using my friend's models (aside within an aside, we swap armies a lot for casual mini-tournaments) and won once, lost once (Dawn of War + KP, of all things -- exactly when this list doesn't excell), disqualifying me from advancing to the third round. It was very fun from both sides of the table, though I was playing exclusively amongst friends.)

·
The Future
4,848 Posts
*This unit is lead by Kayvaan Shrike, and split into combat squads upon deployment. Shrike remains with the second Combat Squad to provide CC support, or breaks away to pursue a target of his own.
If you want them to combat squad, you do this BEFORE deployment - i.e. before the whole squad infiltrates with Shrike. Nothing to stop you leaving half back in your deployment zone with the longer ranged weapons mind you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.