Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Brothers!

Hi, My name is Ben i am currently at university and studying computer games design, but during the summer of this year I started to begin to collect warhammer again with my friends.

I play SM and have created my own colour scheme and backstory too them, I am not completly new to the warhammer rules but alot has change since i last played so im ogin to have to re-new all knowledge i knew before. I have a codex but am looking to make my army unique to my playing style, I have decided to start with two five man tact squads a ten man sternguard squad and as my HQ a chaplian with powerfist as these units tie in with my fluff quite well.

The fluff I have made for my chapter are that they are great preservers of artifacts and anything that would decay/corrode or damage these objects are great enemies of this chapter (so there main chaos enemy is nurgle for this instance) and in the beginning of the chapter they uncovered a sacred artifact which turned out to be of necron origin but it was tool late and they lost half the chapter along with many of there civilians so there sworn enemies are the necrons, the space marines that survived the initial attack from the necrons retreated as there was no victory in pointless defeat for them, however there great anger and hatred that they felt towards the necrons for what they did made some of them turn to chaos (My friends thousand son army in the case). The remainder of the chapter swore to reclaim this lost artifact and destroy any necron forces they may encounter.

Thats the basic fluff theirs a bit more behind it but that's the main story line, so with that in mind any units and rules that you think my army could implement to go with this story would be most appreciated, And any tips re-guarding fighting necrons/chaos would also help thank you.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I'll give you some quick advice,
as your army are cron haters, I'd load up on sternguard, and maybe vanguard with power weapons, as they can both down MEQ guys pretty quick, with power Weapons and vengeance rounds, the chaplain sounds good, perhaps try and give him a jump pack if possible, and with your tactical squad, make it one squad and get and split it, so you can get free missile launcher and flamer, and grab a powerfist aswell,
a telion scount sniper squad mght be good aswell, for rending those necron buggers, and maybe a laspred or 2,
that's all i an think of for now, good luck though

Tj

·
Registered
321 Posts
Against Thousand Sons I would give the Vanguards Storm-Shields, else the AP3 bolts will tear trough the horrible overpriced Vanguards. Against Necrons they seem fine as they are, but keep them cheap (probably only Power Weapon + Bolt Pistol and Relic Blade on Sergeant?)

You need at least a second tac squad or another troop choice (scouts), if you just field 2x 5-man-squads you loose the ability to take heavy weapons. Imho its waste of marines to not take a 10-man-squad (you still can split them at deployment in 5-man-"combat squads", not even a bad idea)

·
Registered
457 Posts
I'd also advise taking pedro Kantor for making any sternguard squads in your list scoring. This can be very important in the new rules, as current;y you only have those 2 relatively weak tactical squads for taking and holding objectives.

Perhaps a techmarine with some servitors and possibly a venerable dreadnought might fit your fluff quite well, one being an artefact itself, and the other a great preserver of them?

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you!

Thank you for your ideas so far i like the idea about the tech marine and dread, maybe not the dread so much but will def look into a tech as my second HQ choice thank you.

Have considered Pedro Kantor and i am a bit funny about putting other chapter stuff in my army but have looked into using his rules and having a force commander represent him so thanx for that info.
Keep the ideas coming i am very grateful for any advice given.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Sorry, I meant to say that you could use him as a none-crimson fists charecter, using him more as a rule-set to represent your chapter master. It seems most people that I see using him do the same, so no problem there.

With regards to 'crons and chaos I would say sternguard are the way to go. Combat versus necrons is fine, so the vanguard might serve you well, (power weps ignoring the standup saves as well). Against chaos however I find it's a bad idea. They are after-all better at it. I know this is may be a controversial view but as I play both armies I feel it to be true. Also consider a vindicator to template those pesky 3+ save troops and ensure not get back up, (or in the case of plague marines, ignoring feel no pain).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hmm yes thanx that advice is useful as I have a friend who collects chaos and he has almost every unit that is a bit ofa fight to counter 10k sons/khorne berks and i believe he is getting plague marines too.
Gave you good rep for your advice.
Thanx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts