Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

I bought the Empire book last night. I made a list based on the idea behind buying the Empire book, I wanted to make a fanatical cult like army. Below is my list.

Parent Unit:
25 Swordsmen
FC

Det#1
10 Archers

Det#2
10 Free Company

Parent Unit:
25 Swordsmen
FC

Det#1
10 Archers

Det#2
10 Free Company

Parent Unit:
20 Greatswords
FC

Det #1
10 Free Company

20 Flagellants
Prophet of Doom

Great Cannon

8 Inner Circle Knights
FC

Characters:

Arch Lector - Van Horstmann's Speculum, Armor of Met. Iron, Great Weapon

WarPriest - Heavy Armor, Shield, Warhorse, Barded

WarPriest - Second Warhammer, Dawn Armor

WarPriest - Light Armor, Enchanted Shield, Ring of Volans

Total is exactly 2000pts.

The idea is to have a warpriest in the knight unit, one in the greatswords, and one in the swordsman. The arch lector I would put in a swordsman unit and kind of center him in my army to share his ldr 9. I figured if my main blocks all had hatred plus the prayers these four could do every turn would be pretty cool too. I chose all priests to go for the themed Sigmar army, please tell me what you think about it!

Thanks for your advice in advance!

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
Parent Unit:
25 Swordsmen
FC

Det#1
10 Archers probably a little too big, good screening unit, but 10 is a bit unwieldy

Det#2
10 Free Company more swordsmen would serve you better

Parent Unit:
20 Greatswords
FC

20 Flagellants
Prophet of Doom

Great Cannon

8 Inner Circle Knights odd number, you'll never get more than 7 in combat at a time and usually only 6. The wider they get, the more unwieldy they are to mover as well.
FC warbanner would be worth more than the extra wounds

the rest of the army looks alright - except the low amount of shooting. I would do the following with your characters to further help out your cultist cause

Mount all of the characters (except AL) Get some magic resistance items/banners or psychology items/banners for your units to protect them a little better

Characters:

hope that helps

·
Registered
139 Posts
Parent Unit:
25 Swordsmen
FC

Det#1
10 Archers

Det#2
10 Free Company

Parent Unit:
25 Swordsmen
FC

Det#1
10 Archers

Det#2
10 Free Company
Large units of swordsmen are always a good way to go, but i would highly recommend dropping the 10 archers, and replacing them with 5 crossbowmen and then a single unit of 10 crossbowmen, allowing you to maximize your shooting

Parent Unit:
20 Greatswords
FC

Det #1
10 Free Company
Nice

20 Flagellants
Prophet of Doom
Nice once again, however i never really see the point in the prophet, that being said, i do just tarpit the unit

Great Cannon
Cannon.... hehehe... I run them in groups usually, 2-3 are just devastating.

8 Inner Circle Knights
FC
I would HIGHLY recommend either taking another one, or droping them down in size and giving them war banner. Dropping one gives you the points, and the modles to lose due to shooting and stay effective in CC

Characters:

I would swap the Dawn amour over to the mounted priest (2+ with a re roll is better then 4+ with a re roll) and give the man on foot heavy amour and shield. I would drop the ring of volans, for heavy armor (3+ save in cc). That also frees up a few points that can be used to... I don't know... Sword of might for the Arch Lector?

·
179 Posts
So there were a couple of things that grabbed me when I saw your list as being very positive:

-WARRIOR PRIESTS! They truly are an amazing character which gives us a unique edge

-You have a large number of units on the field which I find one of the more appealing aspects of Empire

I am also kinda in the same boat in that I am building up an Empire Army for the first time and I still only have a few characters and the Battalion box but here are some things I have learned that I hope will help you out:

- While having an all Warrior Priest army can seem really cool at the time, one thing you got to be concerned about is magic. A lot of those prayers are not going to be going off because they can be dispelled w/ a single dice (almost guarantee w/ two). Two things you might want to consider to correct this is:
1) Take a War Alter. Getting that free spell every turn is money, not to mention it frees you up since you always have that 4+ ward for other prayers.
2) Basic lvl 2 Wizard w/ Wizard's Staff. This way you can take advantage of those two free power dice all the time and Empire wizards are great in that they are very customizable in which lore you take. Plus, the wizard's (and also the War Altar's) magic forces the opponent to decide between dispelling your spells or your prayers.

Another thing you might want to do if you take a wizard is give him the Van Horstmann's Speculum instead of the Warrior priest because it makes him more survivable in combat and it is a great way for an opposing character to get himself killed.

As far as ranged goes, I think you need to think about how you are going to run your blocks of swordsmen because ideally is for them to march into combat and if you are doing that them your archers are going to be hitting squat. If your hanging back, which I guess could work, I would go for something a bit more hard hitting, like handgunners or crossbowmen. Otherwise I would say you should just take them as seperate units since they cost the same and if you do that I would also consider about having a unit of Huntsmen since they can come in real handy taking building in advance, deploying behind enemy lines and such.

Lastly is that you should save to get the Army box. While it is going to be very incomplete toward your 2000pt army, it is still going to give you a lot of stuff to use and more importantly, play around with. Frankly, I totally disregarded pistoliers as a waste compared to outriders but once I discovered some key aspects (they can move and shoot, they get 2x shots, they get two attacks, fast cav is amazing) I had newfound respect for them and plan on including them in future armies.

Good luck dude.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts