Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm new to Necrons and the game in general. I need help building a decent armylist. So far I have 40 warriors, a cryptek who I run with 5 deathmarks, Tazryn (Not yet built), A D'lord that I run with 5 Triach Void Blade dudes and 10 scarabs. Oh, also a Ghost Ark. I need help with how I should arrange my army and what to buy next. I've only played two games, but both games I get faced up against something that my units just can't hit. First game it was a Daemon Prince, might I just add that's some OP shit right there. The second game was against my same friend, he was evil enough to run Lychguards and my voidblades got stomped =\ I'm waiting for an Annihilation Barge to come in, but I just really need help with how to deal with big monster guys! I do pretty well with my warriors and Deathmarks, Veil of whatever from the cryptek allows them to deep strike all over the place so my positioning is never that bad with them(Except for when I deepstrike towards what I want to attack ._.") But yea. I also understand that I did pick a generally more "shooty" style army, but there's gotta be something to save my bacon from terror melee characters. TL;DR?

1.) Help me destroy big op guys (melee in particular)
2.)What are the ESSENTIALS to running an effective Necron army?(In your opinion, or at least options if you think there are no essentials.)

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Well you made a bad choice with Trazyn, unfortunately. The FAQ didn't fix him, and effectively made him almost worthless.
As for facing the Daemon Prince, it's simple:
1. Count those Praetorians as Wraiths
2. Make them Wraiths and buy 2 Whip Coils
3. MSS on the Destroyer Lord
4. Unleash a whole crapload of attacks. Daemon Princes might be obnoxious when they attack, but they have terrible durability on the whole unless Nurgle, and while flying our Scythes will more than likely cause a wound, which would ground him.
Unfortunately, Praetorians are really overcosted. I'd say they're worse than Flayed Ones after lots of play testing and scenario simulations.

For what's essential, Barges and Spyders are your best Heavy Support slots, with Scythes being very okay at best. Doomsday Arks require a list built around them so they generally aren't worth the trouble. Monoliths suffer the same way Land Raiders do and just aren't worth the trouble. Sentry Pylons can do cool stuff with their own Death ray, which I can go into if requested.
Elites have Deathmarks (which work better with Veilteks, and vice-versa). Triarch Stalkers are more a fun choice when given the TL Gauss Cannon thing. This pairs well with Royal Court members to make their weapons TL'd. If you're not using Royal Courts Triarch Stalkers really aren't doing much except being a distraction. Tomb Stalkers are really good; they're not great at killing giant targets compared Wraith guys, but they handle tarpits much better, and have decent durability. Flayed Ones are mediocre. Ignore Lychs and Praetorians.
Fast Attack is good. Tomb Blades received the biggest buff by becoming scoring; you generally use 2 groups of 3-5 with no upgrades as they're cheap for scoring, but their damage output is pretty bad. Wraiths are our best melee dedicated unit, a D Scarabs make effective tarpits and distractions. I've never used Sentinels, and Destroyers are bad, as much as I like them. I used Arcanthrites twice in 6th with proxies, and I'm not sure how they stack right now compared to Wraiths.
Night Scythes are available to both Troop Choices and are still my preferred mode of transportation, since their damage output is MUCH better than Ghost Arks and they're on the whole harder to kill. Ghost Arks are worth it now, though, due to Objective Secured. Some people consider Warriors a "tax" for these vehicles, and I agree to an extent, as Immortals are better if you don't plan on transport saturation. SURE Warriors can come in large groups, but it's a bad idea to take them at such large numbers.
We had an HQ thread while back, so you can sift through that since I'm on my phone and generally don't want to type anymore.

Overall we're a top dog competitively again thanks to buffs mostly everywhere, with very few indirect nerfs to us. Hell, I'm not sure why people bother with Eldar anymore; they need first turn to do anything, really.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! This helps a lot. I still have to find a better warlord guy. I got Tazryn for free from my friend, money is tight right now. But I'll definitely take your advice into consideration!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts