Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

I need help, I'm looking at getting back into Wrhammer 40K, I know a bit about it but it's probably all changed since i was last really into in and need advice.

i first got into it about 14 years ago when the starter box was space marine v orks and gretchins. Then recently someone mentioned it and now i've got the urge again (and the money! :) ). I've done a bit of research and dug my old box of 40k out of the loft. I know theres a new rulebook coming out this year, so dont fancy buying the latest one, unles the do a "breif version". I've found i've got a fair few spacemarines (tatical squands terminators bikes and attack but want to expand/start on the orkside of things as they always seemed more fun than the marines a,I've only got what came in the starter box which was:

20 orks
40 gretchin
1 cardboard cutout of a dreadnought.

I know there's now orks released/coming out, but i dont know if any of the models I curretly own are "legal"- do gretchins even exist now? I don't want to spend a huge ammount at the moment, but i want a small (500-750pt) army which is legal. Whats the best way to go around this?

I'm sorry if i'm a bit vague, it you need more info i'll give it you if possible.

Thanks

·
227 Posts
First, you should definately buy the new Ork codex. It'll give you all you need to know when building a new army.

Yes, rumor has it that a new edition of 40K will be upon us this summer, so it may not be best to get the rulebook right now. So I guess just finding somebody to teach you 4th Edition would be the best course of action.

As for which models to buy, you'll probably want a Warboss and some more Orks. Yes, Gretchin are still around, but most people would say that they aren't really useful as of right now. But I heard a rumor that in 5th Edition models will block line of sight again, making Grots much more useful for screening the boyz. We'll see if this will be the case.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks.

I'll definatly get the codex. In terms of a small army, if there any models/units you would highly recommend...or more importantly stay clear off with a small army? Also is there a "standard" army for the orks-a godd foundation to build upon and customise?

·
Registered
112 Posts
That is a tough one as the new codex just recently came out and not all of the new miniatures are released. (I think they get released tomorrow actually)

Word on the street is that shoota boys in big mobs are going to get a lot more exposure because of the new shoota rules. That is about the only thing I can say with certainty. Shootas, shootas, shootas!!! Hopefully when the GW FAQ comes out, the rule for nobs taking a power klaw in shoota units will be settled. (hoping that it is legal) This will make shoota boyz even better then they are.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I've been looking abit more into it, and i stil need to get a codex.

Basically it seems obvious that with orks you need numbers, and they're best at close combat. Basically basing my numbers on an old 3rd eition rule book (i'm guessing the points value woudn't have changed too much)

how does this sound for a 500pt army?

War Boss with slugga&choppa + eavy Armour =65pts

15 slugga Boyz + Nob + 1 rokkit = 110pts

15 slugga Boyz + Nob + 1 rokkit = 110pts

15 shoota Boyz + Nob + rokkit = 110pts

total =395pts

I could add some speed to make up the points, alternativly i could go really OTT on the numbers front and fill out the rest of my points with my current gretchins and basically suffocate the enermy to death. by my calculations that would be, 73 models of green hell.

any advice is welcome;Y

Edit having looked at the new codex, the points have changed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.