Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
heretical thoughts?
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, well I have recently decided that I would start a warmachine force, just something small, picking only models I think are cool and would be fun to paint.

That said, I was looking through their galleries, and found the 1 models that convinced me to start playing, and that would be Ashlynn D'Elyse. Very nice model, and so since, from what I have read, if you only have a merc warcaster, you can only take merc units, I have devised a small list of other units and warjacks I think look cool. Now my friend, who got me into this, does not have the book with most of the applicable mercs, superiority I believe, he does have No Quarter 1, which includes a basic restrictions list for a Highborn Covenant list.

with out further ado, I present my first attempt at a WM list. Note that I have very little knowledge of the workings of the game yet, and am just basing this on what looks cool, along with what may or may not be good in an army.

Ashlynn D'Elyse
-Nomad Heavy Warjack
-Vanguard Light Warjack
-Vanguard Light Warjack

8x Steelhead Halberdiers

Eiryss, Mage hunter of Ios

total pts 406

I know the points are a little weird, and I should probably add more to get it up to 500, but for now, I think this is good. What do you think, as much more experienced WM players? If nothing else, I'm gonna get this list just to paint and have.

*edit*

After looking at more stuff, I decided to up it to 500 pts. Add to the above list:

2x Steelhead Halberdiers added to unit
6x Devil Dogs

·
Drills baby.
6,481 Posts
Welcome to the game!

First of all, starting out with mercs will be a learning curve since the merc-faction is, saddly, generally worse than the 4 main factions. But since you want what you think is cool then I think you should stick with that.

If you want to know what you can take in a merc army, check out the free army-building tool called Armies of Immoren.

Armies of Immoren

Now, I really want you to reconsider when it comes to Sam and her Dogs. Of all things in WM, they are considered to be the ones that are completely useless and fills no purpose at all and it saddens me to say that's how it is. Any thing other than them would be a better choice.

Check out Armies of Immoren and look around if you can find another unit that you think looks cool and add them instead.

·
heretical thoughts?
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. Really with the devil dogs, I was just trying to find something to get it up to 500, and i figured more bodies was a good idea, and they do look kinda cool. Anyways, I have made another list I think is something I'd like.

Faction: Highborn Covenant
Army Points: 495/500
Victory Points: 18

Ashlynn D'Elyse
Nomad
Vanguard
Vanguard
Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios
Gorman Di Wulfe, Rogue Alchemist
Lady Aiyana and Master Holt
Steelhead Halberdiers (10)

I dont have rules for Aiyana and Holt, but each model comes with rules, right? Either way, they worth taking? Couldn't pass on Gorman Di Wulfe, such a cool model.

My problem with this full merc list, is, like you said, it doesnt look very competitive cause of so few models, and it just doesn't feel right from a story standpoint how all these different, independant mercs would all come together. The reason I am going full mercs tho is that I want my warcaster to be Ashlynn, and as of now, I don't want to spend alot to get an army of the size that would involve 2 warcasters. Although if I end up enjoying WM, I will probably get a small detachment of cygnar stuff and combine the two forces.

Thanks for looking.

·
867 Posts
Yes Aiyana and Holt come in a blister pack and have their own cards. I just got mine last week. They should be an excellent addition to your army. They have some very usefull abilities!

·
Drills baby.
6,481 Posts
Well I think that will be an excellent starting point to learn from. Aiyana and Holt are very good and close to every army benefits from them in one way or the other. A good choice.

I think that list could work well. Hard for me to say though since I'm not that hot on all the merc-stuff but I think you should be able to have some fun with them. :)

·
heretical thoughts?
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool. Thanks for the help. I think thats what I will do for now. should be interesting to see how it works. i'll be playing my firends trollbloods first most likely.

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
On a related note...

Hi, I'm also starting warmachine/hordes soon and I was wondering, while we're talking about mercenaries, how effective is the Mercenary Gorten Grundback battlegroup?

I love the look of the group, but I have no idea if they're viable or not. I definitely want to start with a battlegroup and add on from there. I also like the Cryx battlegroup, but most people seem to use several jacks within them, and that pack only starts with one.

I'm basically trying to balance 'looking cool' and 'a good starting point'. Are there any other battlegroups that might do well? Anything but Cygnar. I don't like the way their jacks look.

·
Drills baby.
6,481 Posts
Really, start with the one that you think looks most cool. Gorten and his guys are certainly a good starting point since he got some tough 'jacks, but like all mercs you will be at a slight disadvantage against the other armies. Although this disadvantage does not show in battlegroup-games though.

I also like the Cryx battlegroup, but most people seem to use several jacks within them, and that pack only starts with one.
No... It got 4. 3 small ones and 1 heavy.

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
Oh

Oh...I wasn't sure if the smaller units in the cryx battlegroup were light jacks or infantry. I've only just started.

Out of curiosity, why are mercs a bit underpowered? Are they generally worse, or merely have fewer options? Or (dare I make a 40k reference?) is it like the Dark Eldar, where there's nothing wrong with their army, but other armies simply have more special rules and advantages available to them?

·
Drills baby.
6,481 Posts
It is pretty hard to say why actually. Generally they have very good solos (the individual characters running around. They have the best in the game) but they have a very small choice of units and options compared to the other factions.

They lack cavalry, heavy mutli-wound infantry and the ability to make the powerful combos that the four main factions can. While they are not bad and you can certainly win with them, it is some evidence of this that the Mercs have never won any major tournament in the hottest tournament scene, the US.

If you like the merc, get them. They are quite fun to play and it is always nice to root for the underdog. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts