Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
240 Posts
Uhhh.. No.

We're talking about the hive mind here.. A 'being' that can and does custom create enough different types of tyranid that they can consume an entire planet's worth of bio systems. Think about how many THOUSANDS of species that must be created just consume a single earthlike planet. Everything from the microspores to the insect/rippers to the little to the big bugs adapted for Ocean, fresh water, ice, cold, desert and everything in between... on the fly. Now the fact that we are limited to a few dozen (score) variations of them for our army doesn't mean that there wouldn't be LOTS that are stranger than those that we have.

Tervigon --- Eats bio mass in HUGE quantities as it lumbers down the field and lays eggs that hyper mature and hatch gaunts.. the entire process takes about 1 minute and the gaunts springing into action immediately will burn out and die of 'old age' in about 30 more minutes... well after the battle.

There are lots of ways to 'explain' each of the 'nids you mentioned. With millions of possibilities on EACH planet.. Anything can be created by the Hivemind!

-Dragons

·
240 Posts
Regarding the rest of your post, im not saying that it isnt possible for the hive mind to produce such things, it just seems strange as to why the hive mind has created them in such a way.

Although this has changed my perception of the Tervigon from a nasty guant spawning hell beast, to an oversized chicken :)
LMAO.. I almost fell out of my chair... I think I can see a GREAT 'joke' conversion/modeling project coming!

Something to keep in mind though.. The Tyranid Swarm that is created by the Hive mind is several orders of magnitude larger than what WE (the players) get to put on the table. We have a limited number of VERY similar creatures so we can have an army 'ballanced' against an opponant with a different one.

The species of the hive mind are nearly limitless.. we players on the otherhand play with a VERY limited palate of the hiveminds resources.. I expect there are flyers from midge size to wasp to chihuhua to dog to human to horse to buffalo to shark to whale to LEVIATHAN sized flyers on up to the hive ships which some are PLANET sized... and hundreds of iterations between with every type of weapon... We just don't get to USE them all.... :(

I expect the reason we have such creatures in such configurations is a play/ballance reason.. It's to fill a niche in the 'battle strategy' of the overall army (at least in the minds of the Developers)...

-Dragons

·
240 Posts
At the end of the day I really see this revision of the codex as a revinue driving rewrite. True that's what all codex rewrites should be as a company has to make money to stay in business, and I don't fault them for that at all. However much of what has been introduced and changed really has a large financial gain for GW. Most of the new units seem to exist to have us buy a trygon and carnifex model and combine them to result in the new MC.
except for the new units that are actually old units but now are in plastics.. Gargoyles and Raveners. Those two are a huge financial sink... for a couple of whiles likely won't be making a profit on them.

At the end of the day you are right they are a business... and the question is.. 'you gonna buy more?' For me it's a resounding 'YES' as GW has been VERY consistant with putting out a quality product over the last few years. Some of their business 'decisions' seem kinda odd.. but the product is still first rate IMHO.

Now back to the thread.. I expect your take on the Harpy is likely spot on. MC in Fast to pin and harras about fits the bill. Hopefully there will be some more Brood Lords too with better poses than the 'I'm HULKING out' pose!

-Dragons

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.