1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So what are you most attracted to?

Do you like the new Rare models?

Which units do you like for game play?

Which do you see yourself wanting to field?

This thread will close 20 days after the new book is released. When that happens we'll start a new poll where people have the benefit of reading the complete, published entries.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
I suck... Maiden neck...
836 Posts
I would love to have been able to choose more, but I went with wraiths, as a unit of them is just so damn cool! I don't care if they are any good, I'll get at least 5 wraiths.I do like the new choices, but I am not so sure on the sculpt of the Varghulf (like the dire wolves), they might grow on me, and I hope they do... The new knights is a must for me, just for the heck of it. Not so sure they would be good until you hit like 3.500pts but I'm aiming for a big army this incarnation. I hope to use them, and they are going to be very funny to feild in a 750pts army, just to see the look on my opponents face!:D (no cheese, we just do that for fun sometimes)

The black coach is up in the air (hehe at least if you get flying). There has been some wild rumors regarding feeding it powerdices and it getting new abilities. Some of them seem extremely broken and some rumors make it really a waste of good PD.

I am getting the Spearhead, so i am having a varghulf, the only unit I was unsure I would buy, so I can conclude I will have all the rare units :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Blood knights have awsome stats, and they look well, but the models are too expensive - 110 CAN for 5~! Probably use other model to convert them.

Varghulf can not fly really limited it's usefulness, the model itself is okay, guess it's role will limited in anti war machine only along with dire wolfs and fel bats.

Wraiths + Banshee cost to much now just to wail at knights like used to be. It's new use and strategies to use them effectively is still unknown to me.

black coach have no more gain wound ability which sucks, the only relief is it got better saves and no longer 0-1. The magic power up rule is too risky for my taste however, it only works if you roll a 6... I rather to spend 3 dice and gureentee for a soild upgrade.

·
The Dvl in Pale Moonlight
889 Posts
What's the base movement of a Varghulf.
M8, also likely to end up with US4(and 4 wounds) and have 5 with most important stats.
Gonna be one hell of a beast. Definately something that will be seen often in my lists. The fact I made one myself from greenstuff also makes it have a certain value for me.

Black coach is going to be wicked. You dont feed it, it will steal them if your wizards are too close. Just wait, this is... well, wicked :)
Wraiths are sexy as well.

The only choice I´ll rarely use are the blood knights. Well, compared to the rest anyways. Black knights will be my brand of heavy cavalry. The ethereal movement just hold alot more tactical value.

So yeah, my favourite would be the Varghulf! ...but closely followed with by the wraiths and coach.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Id have to say Crain Wraths, I mean a skirmish unit that cant be shot by any rank and file troops, givven they're not great but not too shabby stats aswell, i think they have got themselves a top job as my new fav harrasment unit, and with the VCs new abilty to really smack down the opponents magic phase these buggers seem damn near unstopable.

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Id have to say Crain Wraths, I mean a skirmish unit that cant be shot by any rank and file troops, givven they're not great but not too shabby stats aswell, i think they have got themselves a top job as my new fav harrasment unit, and with the VCs new abilty to really smack down the opponents magic phase these buggers seem damn near unstopable.
Spirit hosts could make a great screen, but they were difficult to maneuver out of the way. These guys will make a much better screening option.

How many models would make up a decent unit, though?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I spose the amount of modle you take would be dependant for their role, i was thinking theyd be a great screen, but they would also be a rather expensive screen, and in the end for screening spirit host tho admittedly harder to move out of the way give the same protection level + the fact that the new 5th spell alows for alot more of the to be made. Although that could make them unweadly, also i dont like the idea of places a rare selection with the role of screening. Also, while no where near as effective, a simple zombie summoning can protect valuable units for a turn or two.

It just seems that while Wraiths would make awsome screens there are just too many other cheaper and reasonably effective screen units already in a Vamps disposal.

As for sise id go for a sise of around 5 maybe 6, that way they can ensure you get a tatsy flank, which is what i beleive they should be doing.

·
The Dvl in Pale Moonlight
889 Posts
50pts/wraith = Good screen but a very costly indeed. You´d have to get atleast 5-6 models and thats 250-300pts right there. Lets not forget enemy magic and magic items. In other words, out in the open probably isnt the best place for this unit.

Like Rolly said. I see them more as flanking unit or taking care of knight units and such. A unit of 5 will dish out 15 S5 attacks... That will hurt almost anything. Probably our best way to get rid of brutal combat units(Swordmasters come to mind). Their ethereal rule gives them a very nice tactical value.

·
Nightlord
1,795 Posts
I am looking forward to using both the wraiths and the new black coach. While I will miss gaining wounds back sucking powerdice out of enemy wizards might be fun and add some interesting tactics. And, well, the model is just cool and it is about time that I start using it again in serious games.

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
For me, the only rare selection that isn't all that attractive are actually the Blood Knights.

They sound very impressive, but for some reason I just don't like the models. But we'll see what happens when I get the Army Book. They might still tempt me enough to be included.

The Wraiths are interesting, though again I'm not sure - it will probably come down to reading the book again, and perhaps the models (are they getting new wraith models, or just using the old ones?)

What I'm really looking forward to is the Varghulf and the revised Black Coach. From what I've seen of the Varghulf, I think it's definitely a model that will find it's way into my army. And experimenting with the Coach will be interesting as well.

But I think I'll place my vote for the Varghulf, as it's entirely new and therefore just a little bit more exciting. To me, at least.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I had to vote for the Coach.:p

Not the best or hardest, but I just really love the story and idea of a mysterious Black Coach terrorizing people. And I field one in most of my games because of this idea.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I really love all of the Rare choices, for models and game ability, but the Cairn Wraiths (what strike me as the most simple, and unassuming choice, at first glance) are definitely the best, as far as tactical decision goes, in my opinion.

For 5 points LESS than a Blood Knight you get an extra wound, as many attacks (except no horsie) at almost the same strength, skirmish, and, the grand-daddy of all nasty undead tricks, Ethereal. With the option of a Banshee (although expensive, is a NASTY little blighter, especially against low LD armies, like, say, Vampire Counts...), this unit can put down the pain just as well, if not better than the Knights. And they are both far more survivable and strategically viable.

Unless you get some skeevy little elves with their massive amount of magical arrows, you're likely not to be hurt by shooting at all. Blood Knights will die in droves to shooting, even if you spend hundreds of points on standards to give them ward saves and regeneration (and then you're spending hundreds of points just to keep a unit alive, when Ethereal will do it for cheap!). And even when you get them into Hand to Hand, a lucky grunt can stab a Blood Knight through the eye. You just can't do anything to a Cairn Wraith.

They are also on completely different ends of the spectrum for strategic value. You're barely in control of where the Knights will go, and they can get bogged down in terrain or chasing a fast-cav bait unit (see this months WD Battle Report). The Cairn Wraiths, however, can go basically wherever you want, whenever you want. I can definitely see them popping up behind buildings, trees, rocks, cliffs, rivers, etc, and giving your opponent a real fright (pun intended). Blood Knights are just an effort to see who can wrangle them better. I just really hate the idea of having to figure out how to get my units to do what I want at any given time during the fight. That's why I play VC, I KNOW they're going to do what I want. This also allows you to keep your wraiths the feth away from enemy magical attacks (Magic bad, magic bad...)

That and I think it will be a huge psychological factor in the early days. People see those $75 all metal minis ranked up and ready to go with standards a-flying and given the already built-up reputation they boast, people will concentrate everything on either annhilating these Knights, or avoiding them entirely. Conversely, a small foot-print unit of rather dimunitive looking skirmishers are likely to be entirely ignored or forgotten about, unless the enemy is keenly aware of how killy-bad these things can be. Honestly, people are shocked when I tell them I'm not intending to field a single Blood Knight.

The Varghulf and Black Coach suffer a bit of fragility as well, but less, I think, than the Blood Knights, as they have higher toughness and innate protection abilities such as Regeneration and the ability to become Ethereal. That's why I plan to field one or the other to serve as my fast heavy-hitters.

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
I have a cunning plan
605 Posts
I voted for the vargulf because it looks really cool and it will be nice having a fast moving monster to threaten the flanks, though I do like how good the black coach can get, what makes this even more attractive is the fact that the vampires can generate a seriously large amount of power dice. I don't think I'll be able to resist using a list that generates 17 power dice at least a few times.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts