Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm starting to collect TK AND play WH for the first time!!!
I'm gonna work my way up the Pts values 500, 750, 1500, 2k and so on...
I'd appreciate some tactics from you guys on each pts value (i realize that some things can only be learned through exp, and yes i've looked through the other threads andd have learned lots!!)
However some basic pointers would be appreciated, such as what to buy for an initial army..
I'm fed up of going into GW and them trying to sell me the Army box!
So i'd like to hear from you exp'd players out there.....
Cheers guys!

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
Your best bet to start off with is to grab the TK batallion, a Prince (/King) Blister, and the 2 Liche Priest blister.

From the Batallion, make 19 Skellies with HW/S/LA, and 10 with bows. Then make full command options for the combat skellies using the 3 remaining.
Chariots need no command for now. Make up 6 Lght Cav, leave the other 2 on sprue for now, they arent really necessary and may come in handy for options bits later.

So, that gives you a nice base of Prince, Hierophant Priest, Liche Priest, 19 Skellie warriors, 10 skellie bowmen, 3 Chariots and 6 Light Cav.

From there, you are best off playing a few games, learning about the army and how it works, and then looking at the Army Book and seeing in what direction you want to go, which is generally Defensive or Offensive.

Other units i greatly recommend are:
Tomb Scorpion
Screaming Skull Catapult

Both good (cheap) options are:
3 Carrion
Tomb swarm

·
Registered
190 Posts
haha i started off with a battalion box and was surprised to see more skeletons than stated on the box :). but i dunno wut happened there....maybe just a misprint. Anyways i think compared to most others our battalion is pretty decent.....though GW may have jacked up the prices since i bought mine. Anyways i bought swarms and was glad that those were the first additions to my battalion since low costs in money and damn useful for any point game.

Like said earlier cheap stuff to buy: swarms, a few carrion, scorpion(get for 1k+ pt games) thats about it for lower point games. Also i may suggest buying a second battalion box when your ready. The extra 32 skeletons and 3 chariots are damn useful...unfortunately cavalry are useless to use. Well thats what i did. Its cheaper than buying two boxes of skeletons for the extra 32 and another for three chariots.

For high end stuff I highly recommend the screaming skull catapult. Of course all these suggestions are my own opinion and you should feel free to choose something more of your play style. Proxy units with your 750points and see whats good to use.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, i've read in the TK forums that the light cav. is next to useless and not worth taking, but i don't know if that is just other people's styles of play not fitting with their specific role..
Thoughts?

·
7,143 Posts
They can be very useful, they are a nice cheap, fast unit. Good for distraction techniques, misdurecting charges, threatening flanks, shooting lone mages, etc.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I like light calvary!
I recommend ebay, or the like. You can usually find pretty good deals there. I think I saved $20 on my battalion, after shipping, and ignoring the tax I would pay at a store. I was able to get my Ushabti for about half price too. But be prepared to lose a few auctions, it might take a while, but some people are willing to pay retail or more, don't be one of them.
As a side note, exactly how many skelies did you end up with?
Oh, and DOWN WITH NAGASH! :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I ended up getting the boxed set!! (and after my bitching!!:D)
3 Ushabti
2 Liche Priests
1 Tomb King/prince
And ordered Khalida as well!! (Just for a collection point of view at the moment)
Got a lot of painting to do!!!

Ended up with 30+ skellies and am following the advice from Pheonix on setting them up and i'm already looking at swarms, scorps and an SSC!

For a further question, (in the long run, a bit far away now but....!) as i already said, i've looked at the other threads and there seems to be alot of negativity towards the BG, what's the general feeling from you guys?
I mean, i think the model looks cool but i don't know....

Oh.....and damn you for your "down with Nagash" comment!!!! lol:D

·
7,143 Posts
BG looks very cool indeed, but i just think that there are far better ways to spend 200odd pts in your army. Dual SSCs for example, will do far far more damage generally.

·
Registered
140 Posts
How? And from what? I had an idea for a cool swarm, but as they are solid I couldn't really convert them.
As for painting... Yeah, lots! I started TK in Nov or Dec. A battalion, King, Priest blister, 3 Ushabti, Scorp, SSC, Swarm Blister, 3 Carrion, and King Chariot. I'm using the paint then build method, so I have to finish painting my plastics before I put them on the table, and I can ALMOST use 3 of my chariots. 30 skelies, 8 lt horse, 1 king and 1 priest are painted. So much paint! But once I get past the little guys it should fly. Luck to both of us.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts