·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey everyone,

so im a new wood elf player and new to the forums

i was wondering what you guys think i should get first to start an army

i was planning on getting the battalion
converting one of the glade riders to a hero using some greenstuff and various bits, along with the dryad arms (i saw this on a commision painting service's site and it looked awesome) and then using the 2 nonhooded glade guard and some greenstuff to make them foot heros (again with dryand arms)
this also poses the question should i even use the dryad arms, cause ive heard that they are really good in cc, but ive also seen first hand (one of my friends was playing against them) that by the time they git to cc there were only a few of them left

any advice is totally welcome, and some tactical advice is much apreciated

·
Registered
415 Posts
Hey, first of all.. Welcome to the woods!

I would indeed buy a battalion, and maybe a box of GG or Dryads to supplement the army. See if you can buy some wardancers (7 or 8) since wardancers are the best CC we have!

I field dryads quite a lot, they are really though units (T4) with good attacks (A2, S4). Then they also have a good ward save (5+). When I field dryads I use them to either screen my Glade Gaurd or War Hawks. Or (and thats a more common goal) to frighten the opponent. Dryads look really though, so the enemy will probably go after them first... use that to get other units in charging range! Ow and dont forget that dryads cause fear, that combined with an outnumbered by fear causing enemy's can make for good flees!

About the heroes, I wouldnt convert that many models... try to keep at least 20 GG and 8 Dryads for the core of your army! Then add a unit of 5 Glade Riders and 8 wardancers and you got yourself the basic setup for 750pts(that is with a noble)!

About the tactics, WE rely on movement and shooting... make sure you control those phases! WE is capable of fielding an fast army (GR+WR+WH) or an shooty army (GG+WW). But we havent got a good armour save or strong CC that can stand up against the CC orientated armies! So if you have to go CC make sure you multi charge! And use the fear of the dryads to make it even harder for the enemy!

Take a look at some of the army lists to get an idea of the standart buids ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the battalion comes with 24 GG and i was only going to convert 2 of those and 1 rider
as for controlling the shooting phase, what do you think of giving each noble some sort of magic arrow
like the hail of doom, cause in my test/proxy game i killed an entire block of lizardmen and the one arrow that is make a leadership test or die killed a stegadon

this is what i ran in that game

Wood elves
Lords and Heros
Noble

Greatweapon

Light armour/shield

Elven steed

Asyendi’s Bane

Hail of doom arrow

Enchanted shield

2x Noble

2x Light armor

2x Hail of doom arrow

2x enchanted shield

2x Asyendi’s Bane 284

Core

2x Glade guard x11

Musician/standard bearer/lords bowman

Aech-the banner of springtide

Glade riders x7

Musician/standard bearer/horse master 204

Dryads x 9
Branch nymph 120

Total 1065

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi :) and welcome to the woods.

I'm not very surprised that list did good, especially against lizards the only problem is you're not really allowed to have two let alone three of the same magic item in the same force :(
when I say magic items i mean everything except spites (magic wepons, armour, talismans and enchanted items) An other good thing to know is that you can't have two from the list over on the same hero/lord

This is the problem when two who are new to warhammer play each other, they make mistakes.
If there's a games-workshop near you you should go there and see if some of the staff can teach you how to play.
When i started warhammer i didn't do this and have come to regret it as the early games were unfair, so either visit you local games-workshop or read the whole rulebook agein (the core one not wood efl) i have read it about three times.
Happy Christmas and GOOD LUCK!

giri

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
i actually was playing against a person who had been playing for 5 years

well, at least it wasnt a tourny,now i know, and this means i have to revise my list

oh and thanks giri, im headed to my local gw a few times next week
im even entered into a raffle and if i win i get a fully painted 1500pt wood elf army, unlikely that i win, but theres still a chance

·
Registered
415 Posts
Hey, well besides that you can only have one of every magic item there are some other things I would change.

I would field GG in blocks of 10 instead of 11, you should set them up in a line, so all 10 can shoot. And with 11 GG those lines get too wide!
I never play FC (full command: champion, musician, standard bearer) in my GG since they ought to stay behind the CC troops as far away from CC as I can get them... and if they arent going to be in CC then a musician or standard bearer only cost points... and a champ isnt that good (just a +1 BS).

The GR, I would field them in units of 5 or 6, field them in a line! That makes that all of them can shoot forwards and backwards (special fast cav rules). If they need to go trough difficult corners, you can simply reform them for free (also fast cav rules).

I would change the list to something like this:

Heroes:
Noble {la;elven steed;Dawn spear; enhanced shield} 134
If you give him asyendi's bane, he must fight with it so the GW cant be used. Also you don't need a shield to have an enhanced shield, so one of the two is good enough. And last a GW counts as two handed, so you cant have a GW with shield!
Since he has a longbow, and you are going to field him as cavalery, you better give him a spear of sorts.So I gave him the dawnspear.

Noble {Alter kindred; la ; GW; HoDA; HotH} 152
Standard alter, good for war machine hunting and killing 1 big block of enemy's.

Core

Glade Guard x10 120

Glade Gaurd x10 120

Glade riders x5 {FC} 156
try to use these to march block the enemy (more shooting) and when they get to close, charge them together with the WR unit!

Dryads x 9 108
Use these to protect you archers

Special

Wild Riders x5 {FC, magic banner: Faoghir} 216
noble in here, and combine this one with the GR to get some decent flank charges. Than make the enemy run, and you can over run them!

Total 1006
Now you do need to convert those wild riders, but without those, you simply have to few fast units to cause any hurt :D
Do note that this is just an idea, this is not THE list to play! everyone has his own play style, try to find yours!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks guilding, the whole idea i was going for with the 2 foot nobles is to have them be with the GG and have them hop from cover to cover (hopefully trees, if anything i use the power from the wizard(cant think of the name right now) to move trees around, and get me some good angles of fire, getting them out of cover and me into it) and be able to get shots off cause you should take advantage of the fact that we dont get a negative modifier to moving and shooting

·
Registered
415 Posts
true, but that mean you need to include a spellsinger (which also counts as a hero choice). Than I dont know what you are up against, but our magic ist the best there is out there! Far from it actually... About the heroes in the GG units, you can do that. But since you units are pretty big, that means you need to set them up in two ranks, that means you lose about half your shots.

You can better stay on long range, and manouvre your GG so that the enemy is out of range or out of line of sight ;) The treesinging (moving the forest) is good for making "paths" through which the enemy must come! That is a great way to keep narrow the enemy's movement options!

If you are going for the foot nobles, give one the BoL and give the other one the HoDA. But I must say that our nobles are best when running around alone or pretty up and close to the enemy (for supporting our troops).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cool, i was thinking of running my foot nobles with the special bows and using them for flanking fire supportand using the tree singing to limit where the enemy goes creating fire lanes for my troops.

oh and by the way, the majority of who im playing are lizardmen

·
Registered
415 Posts
ah, well than dont go near the magic phase... it will only cost you points. It may even be necessary to take a scroll cady with you (spellsinger {2X Dispell scroll} 140pts). just to make sure that you can handle the first few magic phases...

Lizardmen can go quite heavy on the magic since they have the best casters out there, the Slann. Their troops are either slow and tough or fast en nimble. The saurus are the first, and therefore make for the bulk of the CC army. The skinks are of the later and make for the bulk of the shooters (beware of the 18" 2X poisoned shots those produce!) You can easily out shoot the skinks, and with their T2 they will go down pretty easily. But you should never forget that for every arrow you fire at a skink a saurus goes unhurt! Cause when the saurus get to CC they are deadly with their T4 S4!!

So try fielding some dryads to keep the enemy saurus busy when they get to close, and field GG to shoot the skinks to bits! Than use the GR and WR to make flank charges so that you can win the combat resolution (the part where you decide if a unit need to test on leadership at the end of a combat phase). Use the nobles to kill of the casters the enemy has. In a 1000pts battle it will probably come down to a skink priest, so no heavy magic.

well I hope this helps ;) The best thing to learn to play an army is to play with it! all the advice in the world cannot help you win a battle, you need to understand the army, and for that you need to play the army! I know this sounds a bit theatrical but it is true.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah, i probably will be playing a game sometime next week or weekend w/ my buddy who works for GW and is their big fantasy expert, so i think he'll be able to help me make a good list and help me with tactics and such

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.