Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been playing High Elves for quite some time now (with incredible success) but I was thinking about starting a second army of Orcs and Goblins (I wanted to be lizardmen but my friend is gonna use em) I already bought 1 goblin regiment (spearmen I think) off eBay. Can you tell me some tips and pros and cons of why I should or should not choose O and G as my second army? And are they going to be revamped anytime soon?

Regards,

VD*

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
I have been playing High Elves for quite some time now (with incredible success) but I was thinking about starting a second army of Orcs and Goblins (I wanted to be lizardmen but my friend is gonna use em) I already bought 1 goblin regiment (spearmen I think) off eBay. Can you tell me some tips and pros and cons of why I should or should not choose O and G as my second army? And are they going to be revamped anytime soon?

Regards,

VD*
The main reason I like the O&G is that they are a total gas playing. There are some really unpredictable units for a variety of reasons (leadership, movement, random attacks, etc.) which can make them fun to play. When a unit of goblins holds up a big vampire count and his unit, it's hilarious. When you launch a goblin into a unit of knights and kill 5 of them - it's hilarious. When your guys squabble and you don't make that game-changing charge, it's still hilarious. All that aside, they have some unique advantages (esp. compared to the HE) They're dirt cheap. They have cool units/trinkets. They're characters are actually worth the cost (and cheaper than HE) They have very good warmachines, chariots, fast cav, core units and all of them are cheaper than the average army and about 1/3 the price of a special HE unit. Although they can be a bit unpredictable at times, for the most part, they can be pretty nasty in combat, shooting and magic (great lores) which makes for a competative army.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are thier special rules? For example High Elves get the nasty strike first ability. Do O&G have a set of special rules that apply to (almost if not all) the whole army?

Regards,

·
Registered
687 Posts
Besides asking questions here on the forums, if you are considering starting an O&G army, you might want to actually peruse the Codex.

·
Suffer not the Unclean
2,251 Posts
The big one is called Animosity. You have to roll every turn for each mob of orcs or goblins. If you do well, you get bonus movement, if you do poorly, they stand around fighting with each other and do nothing that turn!

They also have their own schools of magic with some fun things, and their own miscast table. There are also several units in the army that move randomly, a unique warmachine called the Doom Diver, and some handy units like fast cav who ignore terrain penalties.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
An animosity test every turn? Sounds dangerous! Is it against the units leadership? Can I use the generals that is within 12 inches? Do they hurt themselves? How much of a bonus to movement can you get? I have so many questions ^^ I just won 62 Night Goblins on eBay ^^

Regards,

VD*

·
Registered
428 Posts
been a while since I played against orcs and gobbos, but I'm pretty sure its just on a d6, think 1 is a bad result 2-5 act as normal 6 is a bonus

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts
Playing O&G, you have to accept some randomness to your army. They will fail animosity and do nothing or surge forward, potentially blocking units or fouling charge paths. You can declare a Waagh! and gain additional movement once per game.

Fanatics will hurt you sometimes worse than the opponent. Your miscast chart is nasty.

LD is iffy.

But they can be brutal, too. Savage Orc Boyz, Black Orcs, Warbosses, all very nasty. Hordes of Goblins cuasing problems.

It's a unique army, that's for sure. But if you need tactical control of every bit of the game, barring the dice, then you won't like them. If you want some randomness and unpredictability, then go for it. A lot of O&G players love that about the army.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Uh oh, I didn't know that really... >_< Hmmm I am somewhat of a control freak quite frankly, 21 perhaps O&G are not for me, however I already got some models so I may get a few mroe and then try it... Or I can just sell it as a lot on ebay... ^^

Regards,

VD*

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts
Uh oh, I didn't know that really... >_< Hmmm I am somewhat of a control freak quite frankly, 21 perhaps O&G are not for me, however I already got some models so I may get a few mroe and then try it... Or I can just sell it as a lot on ebay... ^^

Regards,

VD*
If you can get a friend to let you proxy the army for a friendly game, that might help. High Elf chariots become boar chariots. Your silver helms become boar riders. Your elves might never forgive you for the dishonor you will have shown them, but you'd get a feel for the O&G army.

·
Registered
943 Posts
You can't really go into the game with a battleplan that you are confident will work, they are way too random to do that so you need to be very adaptable in those situations. If you are a control freak you will get extremely frustrated with the army, however, you might just want to do what david said and test the army, maybe you will enjoy the army and playstyle. My favorite part about is that it is one of the most customizable and entertaining armies.

·
Rushing Jaws
1,541 Posts
If you can get a friend to let you proxy the army for a friendly game, that might help. High Elf chariots become boar chariots. Your silver helms become boar riders. Your elves might never forgive you for the dishonor you will have shown them, but you'd get a feel for the O&G army.
Does that mean that if you have some elves playing goblins they will fear themselves? ;)

It is a good plan though. It would be quite annoying to find that you don't like how they play, but the models are more important for me since I hardly play anyway, and O&G have some sweet models.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Over further dilleberation, I have decided not to build an Orc army, although I already bought some models (contact me via private message if you are interested in buying, or I'll ebay) I have realized that I find winning fun, which is what usually happens when I play HE, I am afraid to risk losses with an "unpredictable race" although I must admit, it is very tempting cause I like the army composition and the hillarious fluff and names ^^ Thank you for all your help,

Farewell,

VD*

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.