Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, this is my first post!!!

I've played about 4 games/ 1 against orks when I didn't know anything, and three against a good eldar player.

During that time, I've run into a lot of problems about the rules and our crazy anti rulebook codex. So, I'm going to list them in order and try to figure out what's going on, because I'm getting seriously out shot by eldar and it's hard to contest points.

1st. Deep strike: on a roll of **. enemy places units anywhere, including terrain dangerous to deep striking units. Am I forced to reroll the deep strike mishap dice? If so, what's even the point of that roll outcome?

2nd: seeker missiles: does a seeker missile count as a vehicle's shot?

3rd: can you capture a point while inside a skimmer?

4th: can any unit contest a point?

5th: instant death: it doesn't really say in the rulebook that it applies to regular units. The whole Tx2=S is instant death for multiple wound creatures is not really stated for regular units, which is on the brink of insanity. Because if a multiple wound unit gets instant death from a hit, like a railgun on a nob, shouldn't an ork boy take instant death from the same hit? I know it says N/A... i think. Does that mean they are all instant wound?

Devilfish: can i shoot through them? I saw that somewhere but I'm not sure exactly. Is it due to skimmer or something?

vs. Eldar part:

Casting Doom or Guide: Need to roll 6,6,5 or trip sixes to fail?

+Cast magic from inside a transport?

Next, I am getting outshot and out flanked by Eldar. Here is the army list pretty much:

HQ:
Ethereal
+8 FW hnor guard

Shas'o
2xmissiles pods (can these be taken alone?)
stabilizer
HWMT
HWDC
+2 gun drones
attached to 8gun drones

Elites:

2xXV8 team
Shas'vre
2xmissile pod
target array
2xshas'ui
fusion
array
shield

2xStealth Team
5 xv15 in each team
target array

2x 6 FW
leader
bonding knife
markerlight
EMP grenades

transport
2xDF
pods
decoy
SMS
array
target lock

Fast attack

Pathfinders
6x carbine
2x rails
team leader

Heavy support

XV88
2 seperate squads of 1 each
array
multitracker

2xHammerheads
rail gun
SMS
pod
decoy multitracker
target lock

going up against
12 striking scoprions
7 warp spiders +exarch
4 Dark reaper + exarch
5 fire dragons
fire prism
2 falcon gravs
wave serpent
~8 harlequin + jester
5 rangers
2 farseers or something
4-5 wraithguard
2 squads of 8+dire avengers
perhaps some dire avengers

Where available, can you please link site or page number to GW approved rules or errata?

·
No Life King
2,819 Posts
1. Unsure.
2. Yes it does.
3. Pretty sure you can?
4. Yes. Check the rulebook for confirmation on objectives.
5. Instant death only effects targets with multiple wounds, against single wound models, if they fail their save, they die just like they always would.

For shooting around vehicles, if you can SEE the unit on the other side you can SHOOT the unit on the other side. Remember that 5ed uses true line of sight.

There is a debate on the psychic power from a vehicle deal, but I can't remember what the outcome is. Pretty sure they can though. And a farseer needs to roll 6/6/5 or 6/6/6 to fail with their fancy psyker runes.

·
The deep down truth
5,714 Posts
1st. Deep strike: on a roll of **. enemy places units anywhere, including terrain dangerous to deep striking units. Am I forced to reroll the deep strike mishap dice? If so, what's even the point of that roll outcome?
No you do nto re-roll, the player simply puts your unit in the dangerous terrain and the unit takes a DT test and stays inside the DT.

2nd: seeker missiles: does a seeker missile count as a vehicle's shot?
No it does not. A Seeker is taken on a vehicle (excluding the Skyray) as vehicle wargear; it is not under the control of the vehicle carrying it. The Seeker is launched in response to a Markerlight hit and hits on 2+. Even a Skyray needs to generate a Markerlihght hit from its own ML's before it can launch one of its Seekers (they can also be called by any other ML equipped unit). A vehicle could be the first unit to fire in the Tau shooting phase, fire its weapon and then launch a Seeker in response to an ML hit from a unit firing their Markerlights 'after' the Tank fired..

3rd: can you capture a point while inside a skimmer?
Yep as long as the vehicle is within 2" of the objective the unit inside is classed as occupying the objective.

4th: can any unit contest a point?
Yes unless its codex rules entry specifies it cannot.

5th: instant death: it doesn't really say in the rulebook that it applies to regular units. The whole Tx2=S is instant death for multiple wound creatures is not really stated for regular units, which is on the brink of insanity. Because if a multiple wound unit gets instant death from a hit, like a railgun on a nob, shouldn't an ork boy take instant death from the same hit? I know it says N/A... i think. Does that mean they are all instant wound?
Insta-kill only applies to multiple wound models.

Devilfish: can i shoot through them? I saw that somewhere but I'm not sure exactly. Is it due to skimmer or something?
See my post in the 'Fish of Fury, still viable thread ' (reply number 16 page 2) for some reason I have no attachment button (or any other for that matter)

vs. Eldar part:

Casting Doom or Guide: Need to roll 6,6,5 or trip sixes to fail?

+Cast magic from inside a transport?
Already answered

Next, I am getting outshot and out flanked by Eldar. Here is the army list pretty much:

HQ:
Ethereal
+8 FW hnor guard

Shas'o
2xmissiles pods (can these be taken alone?)
stabilizer
HWMT
HWDC
+2 gun drones
attached to 8gun drones

Elites:

2xXV8 team
Shas'vre
2xmissile pod
target array
2xshas'ui
fusion
array
shield

2xStealth Team
5 xv15 in each team
target array

2x 6 FW
leader
bonding knife
markerlight
EMP grenades

transport
2xDF
pods
decoy
SMS
array
target lock

Fast attack

Pathfinders
6x carbine
2x rails
team leader

Heavy support

XV88
2 seperate squads of 1 each
array
multitracker

2xHammerheads
rail gun
SMS
pod
decoy multitracker
target lock

going up against
12 striking scoprions
7 warp spiders +exarch
4 Dark reaper + exarch
5 fire dragons
fire prism
2 falcon gravs
wave serpent
~8 harlequin + jester
5 rangers
2 farseers or something
4-5 wraithguard
2 squads of 8+dire avengers
perhaps some dire avengers
Your biggest problems are the Ethereal, lack of kroot, badly set up XV8 squads and a total inability to stop the enemy getting to your lines. The Ethereal is simply a liability and should be dumped along with the Honour guard. The Shas'O is a mess, why have you got twin linked MP's on an O? infact why have you got a Shas'O period?Tthe Gun Drones and Shield Drones are ineffectual and expensive. The Fusion XV8's are ineffectual and to situational. SMS should never be taken on a Hammerhead, if you can use them then you are not playing the Hammerhead properly.

If you are a new player you need to do two things:

(1) Take a solid core list with reliable units that do not relyheavily on skill to perform (fusion XV8 for example)
(2) Keep the opponent away from you

Ethereals are risky and do very little for the army, lose it and the Honour guard and take two Shas'El's with Plasma, missile pods, targeting array and hard wired multi tracker 97pts. These will be much more useful and can hurt just about anything. The Plasma will insta kill tgh 3 Eldar characters and the missile pods can destroy Eldar vehicles.
Lose the fusion XV8's and take a team of two XV8's with Plasma, MP, and Multi tracker, make one a team leader and give it a targeting array and make its multi tracker hard wired.This is just the most basic of changes but I cannot go into much more depth until I know what models you have available. Post what you have and we can advise on the list and tactics.

·
I am a free man!
4,941 Posts
riki has done an admirable job of answering the rules queries. :)

And his general list-building advice is also excellent. FWIW, there are several stickied topics at the top of this forum full of salient advice. My personal favorite is the 5th edition Tau Tactica. Short, sweet, and to the point.

I have my own list-building and playing tactica (look below in my sig) which generated lots of excellent discussion as well. I think it's worth a look, anyway! :rotfl:

Welcome to the Greater Good! Tau are a difficult army to master and don't suffer mistakes well at all. But with some experience, you'll soon be expanding the Empire in the Third Phase.

A couple last pieces of advice that I think are wise for any Tau player -- but especially beginning Tau players -- to keep in mind.

1. Don't ever get close to the enemy. Don't ever let the enemy get close to you. This means you need units that allow you to push the enemy away from you. That means Kroot and piranhas.

2. Keep all your guns on the table. You want -- and MUST -- shoot every turn you can. This means no deep-striking crisis suits, as appealing as the tactic might sound. Not only does it cost you at least one precious turn of shooting, deep-striking also almost invariably breaks rule 1 above, as well. So don't do it ... pretty much ever. ;) Instead, favor crisis suit weapons that have long range so you can pepper the enemy from distance.

·
Registered
730 Posts
here is wat i know:
1. not exactly sure wat ur aking here
2.yes but remember it needs a markerlight to be able to shoot
3.as long as there is a troop choice inside yes
4.yes but only troops can hold one
5.if a shot is doule the toughness of a multiple wound unit it dies automatically.
6.technically ur shooting under themm because its a skimmer, but yes , however ur oponent gets a 4+ cover save
7.yup, its that hard for them to fail, and yes they can cast it from skimmer
Now your list part:
1.ur knew so im going to explain this to you, NEVER TAKE AN ETHEREAL! ur asking for your opponent to battle cannon shell him, with no armor save, toughness 3 and the whole price of failure thing its not worth its upgrade, EVER!
2.well ur shas' o can have 2 missile pods, but that will make them twin-linked (at least i think so). id replace with plasma rifle
3.again ur shas'o by stabilizer im guessing u mean advanced stabilization sstem, and its pointless. jump infantry have the relentless special rue which means they can move and shoot as if they didnt, so that will only slow u down.
4.ur xv8 wargear is really confusing me
5.no emps for fire warriors, if an enemy vehicle is dumb enough to get that close they will likely have an enemy cargo or immense fire power.
6. more fire warriors. 6 man teams are eaten for breakfast in any battle, Dfish or not
7.your heavy support is illegal, ur only allowed 3 max, so just make the broadsides one squad
bottom line: ur biggest 2 mistakes are ur heavy support choices was kindev illegal and NEVER take an ethereal.

·
The deep down truth
5,714 Posts
here is wat i know:
4.yes but only troops can hold one
5.if a shot is doule the toughness of a multiple wound unit it dies automatically.
6.technically ur shooting under themm because its a skimmer, but yes , however ur oponent gets a 4+ cover save
7.yup, its that hard for them to fail, and yes they can cast it from skimmer
Now your list part:
1.ur knew so im going to explain this to you, NEVER TAKE AN ETHEREAL! ur asking for your opponent to battle cannon shell him, with no armor save, toughness 3 and the whole price of failure thing its not worth its upgrade, EVER!
2.well ur shas' o can have 2 missile pods, but that will make them twin-linked (at least i think so). id replace with plasma rifle
3.again ur shas'o by stabilizer im guessing u mean advanced stabilization sstem, and its pointless. jump infantry have the relentless special rue which means they can move and shoot as if they didnt, so that will only slow u down.
4.ur xv8 wargear is really confusing me
5.no emps for fire warriors, if an enemy vehicle is dumb enough to get that close they will likely have an enemy cargo or immense fire power.
6. more fire warriors. 6 man teams are eaten for breakfast in any battle, Dfish or not
7.your heavy support is illegal, ur only allowed 3 max, so just make the broadsides one squad
bottom line: ur biggest 2 mistakes are ur heavy support choices was kindev illegal and NEVER take an ethereal.
Dude two words 'Grammar' and 'Spellchecker'

·
779 Posts
Okay,
So this post is primarily for Blasterdude, but it is a good reminder to everyone. This is a classic case of the poorly written post. Blasterdude I am not trying to pick on you in anyway, but the post is
A: Confusing
B: Poorly written
C: Inaccurate

When you answer a post, ask yourself the question, "How does this help the original post." This response in no way does.

Okay, this is plain wrong. A vehicle with a seeker missile is in no way responsible for the shooting of that missile. The missile is called in by a markerlight hit. Therefore a unit of pathfinders can light up a rhino, a seeker can be fired from a skyray, then the skyray can shoot its secondary weapon (BC's or SMS) at a tactical squad.

Look at how hard this is to read. There is no space between the "3." and the "as," and there is no punctuation in the sentence to help out the reader (choice inside yes??)

The question wasn't regarding multiple wound models, it was about standard troops. Second, take a moment and proof read your response before you post it. The incorrectly spelled words are underlined in red.

Please don't use 'netspeak' to text vocabulary. It is against forum rules. Ur = You are. Also, if the unit can see under the devilfish there is no cover save. There is a whole thread devoted to this going on in the forum right now.

Again mate, I am not attacking you. We take the time to write out our posts in easy to read manner. We would appreciate it if you would do the same.

Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts